Should we do a Mediterranean Cruise from Barcelona in January 2017??

Newly weds1

Hi all due to my fear of zika I am considering changing my already booked Caribbean cruise to a Mediterranean Cruise from Barcelona in January. I am aware that the weather will be much cooler but hopefully there will be sights to see and culture to experience throughout our stops. As neither my fiancé nor I have ever cruised before we are not aure what to expect in relation to potential rough seas.....any advice or experiences that can be shared would be much appreciated!!

Edited by Newly weds1

I don't know what itineraries are available at that time of the year, but I think Europe outside of peak season is wonderful. Don't worry too much about the weather, just bring some warmer clothes.

I don't think the Med would be rougher than Caribbean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by txagfan

As I think you already appreciate you won't get Caribbean weather in the Med in January. You will need to take layers. We have cruised the Westen Med itinerary in March and had a real mixture, storms as well as bright sunny days . For a better chance of some good weather NCL operate cruises from Barcelona out the Canary Islands and Madeira over the winter, we have done this several times and indeed are doing it at New Year. The weather is still a bit of a lottery and we have had some storms on the way but at least the Canary Islands are classed as a Winter Sun destination .

Hope this helps

Edited by glynandkath

Hi all due to my fear of zika I am considering changing my already booked Caribbean cruise to a Mediterranean Cruise from Barcelona in January. I am aware that the weather will be much cooler but hopefully there will be sights to see and culture to experience throughout our stops. As neither my fiancé nor I have ever cruised before we are not aure what to expect in relation to potential rough seas.....any advice or experiences that can be shared would be much appreciated!!

We took the Barcelona to the Canary Islands trip in February of 14 or 15. Spent three days pre cruise at the Pulitzer Hotel which is located in an excellent location for tours and local restaurants. There was no snow, people were riding bicycles, warmly dressed. I had on a mid-weight jacket and sweater all the time. Check out my review in case I miss something. We planned tours through Viator and all the meeting places were within walking distance. It's also at the top of Las Rambles . The cruise was also excellent, lots of Brits aboard. It's the place to go for a winter get away from England and Scotland. Did not notice any rough seas and enjoyed all the ports of call. Again I had arranged all tours ahead.

Not much choice with NCL in Europe next winter, I'm afraid, with only one ship left… So I'm guessing the OP is thinking about this 10-day on the Spirit, January 6–16:

EMBARK Barcelona (Spain); Valletta (Malta); Palermo (Sicily); Rome (Civitavecchia) (Italy); Florence/Pisa (Livorno) (Italy); Monte Carlo (Monaco); Provence (Marseille) (France); Palma, Majorca (Spain); Valencia (Spain); DISEMBARK Barcelona (Spain)

I would prefer a Canary Islands/Madeira itinerary, but you have to take what you can get!

Not much choice with NCL in Europe next winter, I'm afraid, with only one ship left… So I'm guessing the OP is thinking about this 10-day on the Spirit, January 6–16:

EMBARK Barcelona (Spain); Valletta (Malta); Palermo (Sicily); Rome (Civitavecchia) (Italy); Florence/Pisa (Livorno) (Italy); Monte Carlo (Monaco); Provence (Marseille) (France); Palma, Majorca (Spain); Valencia (Spain); DISEMBARK Barcelona (Spain)

I would prefer a Canary Islands/Madeira itinerary, but you have to take what you can get!

This exactly the cruise we have been offered as an alternative.... We are not sure if we should chance our luck with the mosquitoes in the Caribbean or the weather in the Mediterranean.....

I've done cruises to Europe/Med three times in January- '13, '14, '15. Weather is usually mild, not cold with many of the ports and places sunny. Definitely not tropical Caribbean warm though. A lot of Northern Europeans cruise to escape their harsh cold winters. It's also good weather to sightsee all the interesting places. The only really cold place was Turkey which I'm pretty sure isn't on the itinerary anymore. I always had calm seas too and I did 21 day b2bs. If I was young, pre kids I think I would be avoiding the Caribbean for a while.

Edited by karoo

You'll be fulfilling a 'bucket list' trip long before you will even worry about having that list.

Go where you will feel safe & worry free.

There will be lots to do on that Med cruise & you will make memories that will last a lifetime.

I can't think of a more romantic honeymoon cruise than Europe!

Cheers,

Sandy

It looks like a great cruise, if you get good weather going out of season is the best way to sitesee in Europe. No one will be able to predict the weather for you. You could have a very mild week and find that you are enjoying the sunshine in the more sheltered spots - or you could have storms. I am sure it will be a great cruise - and the ship will not be overcrowded.

If you wait until March/April your chances of experiencing sunshine increase significantly.

I'd take the January Spirit Med cruise in a heartbeat, over the Caribbean one. The latter is during the high peak season with many ships in each port.

Don't really care about the cool weather as long as the ports are gorgeous. We went on the Jade Med in December and Epic in October and between these 2 cruises we visited most of the ports on Spirit's itinerary.

Cooler weather gives you the energy to walk around and sightsee more, this is why we like going to Europe during the off peak season.

ENJOY!!!

Edited by bluesea777

I don't know what itineraries are available at that time of the year, but I think Europe outside of peak season is wonderful. Don't worry too much about the weather, just bring some warmer clothes.

I don't think the Med would be rougher than Caribbean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok well you are a little off here

The Carib is smooth sailing in January

The Med is not always

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

This exactly the cruise we have been offered as an alternative.... We are not sure if we should chance our luck with the mosquitoes in the Caribbean or the weather in the Mediterranean.....

Take the Med cruise

It's a great itin

Just do pack for cooler weather and from everything I've gathered the seas could be rougher and a port like Livorno could be cancelled....or so I've read here on CC ...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did the western Med last February 1. Felt like fall. Sunny, a little windy and no rain but no need for a coat, just sweaters. I loved it as I am not a "sun" person. The seas were a bit rough leaving Barcelona but nothing after that. We did miss Rome due to weather. At times decks were closed due to high winds. The ports were awesome with no crowds. We loved every minute of the trip!

I would definitely take a Mediterranean Cruise over a Caribbean cruise. If I am picking between being pool side in hot tropical weather or being in cooler fall-ish weather roaming the streets of a beautiful village, I pick the latter. To each his/her own, though.

Also, as you are likely planning on being in a family way, it's good to do the Mediterranean pre-kids. It is one of the more challenging (but certainly not impossible) kid cruises.

We took a similiar itinerary in the Med in 2010 on the Jade (a bit larger than the Spirit, but not by too much).

It is, hand's down, the best cruise we have ever taken. Ever. It is port intensive and it's worthwhile to get a private tour in places like Florence and Rome (we used a company named "Rome in Limo" and they were outstanding ... we followed their advice and pre-purchased tickets to see the David in Florence and the Vatican Museum in Rome). We would do it again in a heartbeat if the stars were aligned correctly for us.

So even without considering Zika I would say visit Europe instead of the Caribbean. The Caribbean is there for later, usually at much less cost. Europe is on sale both in airfare and cruise price because so many Americans are afraid to go there.

First and foremost - speak to your doc - he/she is best to advise you.

The Med in January? You KNOW - it will be rubbish weather - and the Spirit is for sure not a ship with much to do indoors.

I'd look at the Escape's route - do a back to back if 7 nights is not enough.

BVI and Bahamas are very safe.

CC is predominately followed by a USA market - and majority of those would love to cruise Europe at any time - Just like the Caribbean is a dream cruise to us.

IF I was to go to the Med in January I'd pay around £500 - cruises go for a song for us at that time of year..

What about Dubai? Do NCL operate in Dubai? Great time of year to catch some rays and only a 5-6 hour flight?

Or Asia?

Unless you really want to go on a cultural tour - don't do the Med - it will be FREEZIN'! You wont get outdoors on the ship - and the Spirit is no indoors ship - re think!!

• 2 weeks later...