Discount for Bev Package

BuckGood

Possibly, yes, good point. It depends on the port and itinerary. One should always ask about this if purchasing on board. Either wait until the ship is 12 miles out or whatever, or ask them pretty please to sell it to you and to start serving you while still in port, but not to process the charge for the package until the ship is out to sea.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

Possibly, yes, good point. It depends on the port and itinerary. One should always ask about this if purchasing on board. Either wait until the ship is 12 miles out or whatever, or ask them pretty please to sell it to you and to start serving you while still in port, but not to process the charge for the package until the ship is out to sea.

You are right. I once did that out of Texas

You're in the US - the bev package is pretty steep at $1,305.08 for 2 pax on a 7-nighter. I'm guessing you sail soon, but have you looked into cancelling and rebooking with the UBP promo? Some of the "last minute" cruises are including the promos (GTY rooms not-included).

Very little is discounted on NCL these days. They want to become a premium brand!

Premium? Then why are they $20 more per day than other cruise lines plus other cruise lines the tip and tax is included Plus no Water with NCL plan....To me thats Very expensive!!

You're in the US - the bev package is pretty steep at $1,305.08 for 2 pax on a 7-nighter. I'm guessing you sail soon, but have you looked into cancelling and rebooking with the UBP promo? Some of the "last minute" cruises are including the promos (GTY rooms not-included).

Yes it is, compared with other cruise lines.

Yes it is, compared with other cruise lines.

Since they're giving away the bev package to 60%+ of pax (probably more like 75%), they raised the price to up the gratuity paid on the free package. If there wasn't a free package, I'm sure it would be around the rate of CCL or RCCL.

Since they're giving away the bev package to 60%+ of pax (probably more like 75%), they raised the price to up the gratuity paid on the free package. If there wasn't a free package, I'm sure it would be around the rate of CCL or RCCL.

Other lines are giving it away as well, and they haven't jacked the price the way NCL has....probably because they don't charge that stupid 18% NCL tax on a "free" item... morons.

Other lines are giving it away as well, and they haven't jacked the price the way NCL has....probably because they don't charge that stupid 18% NCL tax on a "free" item... morons.

Except that those lines are quite a bit more expensive per person, per day than NCL. According to a cruise fishy :-) website (dollar figures approximate):

Average NCL balcony stateroom - $225 per person, per day ($253 if you add the "gratuity for drink package")

Average Celebrity balcony stateroom - $290 per person, per day

Avg Princess balcony stateroom - $260 per person, per day

Avg Royal Caribbean balcony stateroom - $200 per person, per day

Avg Carnival balcony stateroom - $165 per person, per day

Factor in that RCCL charges around $60 per person, per day for the drink package (they've gone to a variable model - each ship, sailing date, and itinerary has a slightly different price) and the balcony stateroom is now $320 per person, per day.

Similarly, Carnival at $50 per person, per day, becomes $265 per person, per day, if you want a drink package.

So all told, NCL is cheaper (assuming you want a drink package), even including the 18% gratuity on the free drink package.

Except that those lines are quite a bit more expensive per person, per day than NCL. According to a cruise fishy :-) website (dollar figures approximate):

Average NCL balcony stateroom - $225 per person, per day ($253 if you add the "gratuity for drink package")

Factor in that RCCL charges around $60 per person, per day for the drink package (they've gone to a variable model - each ship, sailing date, and itinerary has a slightly different price) and the balcony stateroom is now $320 per person, per day.

Similarly, Carnival at $50 per person, per day, becomes $265 per person, per day, if you want a drink package.

So all told, NCL is cheaper (assuming you want a drink package), even including the 18% gratuity on the free drink package.

Thanks for the comparison.

Where are you getting your average cabin costs, they vary by line by day by time of year etc. etc etc , but that's not the point. All I was trying to say its not free and anyone who does not drink $200 worth of booze/soda is forced to pay and subsidize you who does want the package.

You are being fooled, but that's ok if you make out better than 90% of the rest of the passengers it must be alright? Correct?

Where are you getting your average cabin costs, they vary by line by day by time of year etc. etc etc , but that's not the point. All I was trying to say its not free and anyone who does not drink $200 worth of booze/soda is forced to pay and subsidize you who does want the package.

You are being fooled, but that's ok if you make out better than 90% of the rest of the passengers it must be alright? Correct?

Yup, that's correct - for me, I'm just fine making out better than 90% of the rest of the passengers and in no way am I getting fooled.

All I was trying to say its not free and anyone who does not drink $200 worth of booze/soda is forced to pay and subsidize you who does want the package.
When and where were you trying to say this? You've only posted once in this thread.

Anyone who does not drink $200 worth (for 2 people over 7 days) and still chooses the beverage perk is not being fooled. They are fools. But you're right, at the moment, people who don't really value the perks being offered and for some reason book NCL anyway are subsidizing those who take full advantage of the perks. I know which side I'd rather be on.

When and where were you trying to say this? You've only posted once in this thread.

Anyone who does not drink $200 worth (for 2 people over 7 days) and still chooses the beverage perk is not being fooled. They are fools. But you're right, at the moment, people who don't really value the perks being offered and for some reason book NCL anyway are subsidizing those who take full advantage of the perks. I know which side I'd rather be on.

That's a VERY small percentage. There's a reason they've increased market share since offering the free bev package. Although they're still a small player at less than 10% of the market.