Vatican tour in a December

Sandi07054

Looking to go to Vatican early morning before the cruise

Should I book a tour or just get tickets from website. Concerned I might have to wait in line. And then don't want to be late getting to port.

Would appreciate some advice for crowds in December

Thank you

I didn't do the Vatican in December but I did visit the Colloseum and there were no lines at all and it was surprisingly uncrowded inside.

There will definitely be lines but I imagine not very long. I suggest you buy a timed no queueing ticket and you should be fine. At worst, the €20 ticket would go to waste (if you intend to visit the Museums), if you have to leave a slow moving queue in order to get the ship. Not that I am advocating that will happen but it is not a king's ransom to loose should it not work according to plan.

If it is only St Peter's you are visiting - you shall have no problems unless it is a Wednesday you plan visiting - this is when the Pope holds an audience in St Peter's Square and the Bascilica is closed until the afternoon.

Doing both the Musuems and St Peters could be a rush if you have to embark - I am assuming by 1600 at the latest. How do you plan to get to Civitavecchia?

Hi Tomvet

We are taking a cab from hotel to port. Would probably be leaving hotel around 1

We definitely want to include St Peters. We definitely don't need a tour but thought that would get us in faster with mo lines. I see there are tours around 7:30

Or was thinking maybe we should go when we arrive on Saturday. We get in around 10:45

Thought maybe we could drop off bags at hotel and then a taxi to Vatican. Just don't know what time to get a ticket thru the vatican website

Boy this is work trying to figure all this out!! Lol