FIRST time in a Balcony! Conquest 8280 - Need a Bungee Cord?

RecoveryDude

YAA! 52 days till Mom and I sail on Carnival Conquest ... IN A BALCONY! It's my FIRST EVER BALCONY! (She's had them on Princess and Royal before)

My question: Should I bring a Bungee cord to keep the door open? I'm not sure how this works ... does the door swing "in" or "out" ?

By the way, anyone been in Conquest cabin 8280? Looks like a great location :)

The door will swing out. I would advise you not to use any means to keep the door open. When you do this it can potentially cause problems. The A/C that is being blown into your room is now having to strain to try to keep cool. If you happen to open your cabin door while your balcony door is held open, it creates a windstorm disaster. I understand wanting to keep it open to enjoy the fresh air, but it truly is not advisable at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'll probably have several people disagree with me, but I personally would not bring a bungee and try to prop the door open.

When the door is open, the air conditioner is off. Also, bringing in the air from the outside increases the humidity level in your room, making it harder for the air conditioner to cool the air whenever you finally do close your door. Also, if you are not careful and the balcony door is open when you open your door to the hallway, you will create a wind tunnel effect and have various papers and small items in your room fly into the air from the blast of air. (Think of it like opening windows on both sides of your car while you are driving down the road at 40 mph).

The door will swing out. I would advise you not to use any means to keep the door open. When you do this it can potentially cause problems. The A/C that is being blown into your room is now having to strain to try to keep cool. If you happen to open your cabin door while your balcony door is held open, it creates a windstorm disaster. I understand wanting to keep it open to enjoy the fresh air, but it truly is not advisable at all.

The question I always think to ask, "Would you leave your door open with the air conditioning on at home?" Even if it's 'off' in your cabin, it's never truly off.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SadieN

The question I always think to ask, "Would you leave your door open with the air conditioning on at home?" Even if it's 'off' in your cabin, it's never truly off.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Good response. Don't believe everything you read on these boards

Since the question is "should I bring a bungee" and not "should I prop the balcony door open and upset the A/C/ neighboring passenger equilibrium", I will answer the question..

NO, don't waste your time on a bungee

an ink pen will do the trick. There is a track with a sliding bar at the top of the door, just open the door as wide as it will go, pop an ink pen (preferably one you won't miss) up into the track and GENTLY let the slide close against the pen. easy peasy.

to get the pen out, just open the door all the way open again and the pen falls right out. takes up no space in your luggage.. tada!!!

we actually had to keep the door open on our last cruise because they could not find a way to turn the air down in our room. they sent technicians and everything...it was always freezing, so we had to let some warm air in. I still went home with a cold.

...and there is something soothing in the sound of propping that door open and drifting off to sleep at night.

Since the question is "should I bring a bungee" and not "should I prop the balcony door open and upset the A/C/ neighboring passenger equilibrium", I will answer the question..

an ink pen will do the trick. There is a track with a sliding bar at the top of the door, just open the door as wide as it will go, pop an ink pen (preferably one you won't miss) up into the track and GENTLY let the slide close against the pen. easy peasy.

to get the pen out, just open the door all the way open again and the pen falls right out. takes up no space in your luggage.. tada!!!

we actually had to keep the door open on our last cruise because they could not find a way to turn the air down in our room. they sent technicians and everything...it was always freezing, so we had to let some warm air in. I still went home with a cold.

...and there is something soothing in the sound of propping that door open and drifting off to sleep at night.

the correct answer to that is DONT PROP OPEN THE BALCONY DOOR....If you want to fall asleep to the sound of the ocean, sleep on your balcony

Edited by First and Ten

you can tell people not to do something, and they are going to find a way to do it anyway if they really want to.

I am not comfortable sleeping on a wooden deck, so I sleep in my bed, with the door open.

best of both worlds.

YAA! 52 days till Mom and I sail on Carnival Conquest ... IN A BALCONY! It's my FIRST EVER BALCONY! (She's had them on Princess and Royal before)

My question: Should I bring a Bungee cord to keep the door open? I'm not sure how this works ... does the door swing "in" or "out" ?:)

Not a good idea. Just enjoy your balcony some other way.

you can tell people not to do something, and they are going to find a way to do it anyway if they really want to.

I am not comfortable sleeping on a wooden deck, so I sleep in my bed, with the door open.

best of both worlds.

OK, cool....just to be fair, you are taking the mindset of "I want what I want and this is my vacation so I get to do what I want"

is that fair? :D

"Entitled"

Edited by First and Ten

...as I type this from my iPhone (as the entitled do). I personally think that almost everyone who can go on a cruise or goes on a cruise has moments of entitlement..."I'm entitled to throw my towel on a chair and keep it there all day" I'm entitled to jump in front of someone in the buffet line", "I'm entitled to NOT sanitize my hands so that others may get sick"...none of us are perfect citizens. If the worst thing you do in life is prop a balcony door open, you are not a terrible person

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish I were lucky enough to get a cold room like that.

BTW You don't get a cold from being cold.

I wish I were lucky enough to get a cold room like that.

BTW You don't get a cold from being cold.

Probably got it from those jerks who refuse to sanitize their hands

...as I type this from my iPhone (as the entitled do). I personally think that almost everyone who can go on a cruise or goes on a cruise has moments of entitlement..."I'm entitled to throw my towel on a chair and keep it there all day" I'm entitled to jump in front of someone in the buffet line", "I'm entitled to NOT sanitize my hands so that others may get sick"...none of us are perfect citizens. If the worst thing you do in life is prop a balcony door open, you are not a terrible person

Here is the issue though...when we all started doing this years ago(yes i said "we" because I USED to do this) it was not really understood that it could cause serious problems with the other cabins in the area. I thought it was only my cabin that would be affected.

Once it became known that you could be raising the temperature of your neighbors because of the way the A/C system works, I stopped doing it out of consideration for them. That is also why I take the time to close my balcony door manually instead of letting it slam.

Anyone who props their balcony door open, knowing that it will cause issues for their neighbors, is being very selfish and inconsiderate.

Edited by RjayB
subject verb agreement

Don't bother with a bungee cord.

There is a door stop that the steward uses when he services the room.

When he is done, he leaves it underneath the closets near the main door.

Just open the door, wedge it in, and you are good to go.

Enjoy your cruise!!:D:D

I guess it's the same mentality of those who drive 30 mph when the posted speed limit is 25mph- it's not hurting anyone right?? and maybe it's against the law but they do it anyway. Let's pick our battles. I've never been inconvenienced by a cabin neighbor opening their doors...and yes, they do it. If carnival makes it a hard and fast rule, I wouldn't do it---for for a nebulous suggestion that may or may not be true...ehhhh

We might have just have to acknowledge the fact that I am a selfish jerk and I am entitled to slightly runny melting chocolate cake or else it goes back to the kitchen...what can I say? I'm entitled.

Edited by pyropoodle

Lets not get crazy, I didn't say you are a "terrible" person....be fair, all of those examples you gave are examples of bad behavior....no?

Did you ever think there is a reason those doors close automatically? They are not meant to be "propped" open. Posters here gave what seems valid answers on why the doors shouldn't be propped open (A/C being a primary concern and I am guessing there are probably some safety factors that apply which I don't know of off the top of my head). You seem to even agree they aren't meant to be propped open but seem of the mindset of "well I will do it anyway because I want to do it and what I want outweighs the rules"....You think me calling you entitled is offbase? :confused:

Edited by First and Ten

Also, if there is a huge safety risk, carnival would absolute make it against the rules and not a suggestion...just saying. If there is ever a chance of some liability issue, they will cover themselves

Someone posted on John Heald's FB page about this a few months back.

He knew of NO rules stating this wasn't allowed.

He said he would check into it, and never came back with anything.....

People just need to chill out and mind their own business.

Everyone is so worried about what everyone ELSE is going, or wearing, or hogging.....

Seriously.......I am on vacation and everyone else is the LEAST of my worries.:D:D

Someone posted on John Heald's FB page about this a few months back.

He knew of NO rules stating this wasn't allowed.

He said he would check into it, and never came back with anything.....

People just need to chill out and mind their own business.

Everyone is so worried about what everyone ELSE is going, or wearing, or hogging.....

Seriously.......I am on vacation and everyone else is the LEAST of my worries.:D:D

That's right KP, its your vacation, nobody else on the ship....its all about you :rolleyes: Let me pose a question, if you were in the next room over and your A/C wasn't doing the job due to the fact that it was being overworked because people were keeping their balcony doors open, no worries, right? Something tells me you would be the first one on the phone with GS whining about your cabin being to hot and what was Carnival going to do for you

Edited by First and Ten