Some hotels open, but rooms are scarce

Bequia

Reprinted from FLL Sun Sentinal 10/29/05

With Hurricane Wilma gone, and the South Florida airports open, tourists are eager to know if their hotel bookings are still valid. But with power and phones still spotty, there is a void of information.

And with power crews, emergency officials and insurance adjusters all coming into the area, possibly for weeks, there will likely be a tight supply of rooms for general tourists.

"There's very little availability," said Bruce Appel, vice president of finance for the Greater Fort Lauderdale Convention and Visitors Bureau.

Appel said Friday that about 45 hotels are open in Broward, including the Westin Diplomat, Sheraton Yankee Trader, Marina Marriott and Seminole Hard Rock hotels. The 600-room Marriott Harbor Beach expects to open Oct. 31, a spokesman said.

In Palm Beach County, about 30 percent of the 200 or so hotels are open, said Mac McLaughlin, president of the visitors bureau.

But few if any of the rooms can be booked. Hotels have backlogs of reservations from the past week to work down. And rooms are so scarce that the visitors bureau stopped posting availability on its Web site Friday so it could assign rooms to airline crews that were flying into Palm Beach International Airport.

In Hollywood, the Westin Diplomat reopened Friday but said it was sold out for the next few nights. About 500 Florida Power & Light workers are staying there, along with local residents and some small business groups.

On Nov. 1, groups from Schneider Publishing and the International Packaged Ice Association arrive, again selling out the 998-room hotel, the statement said.

Some demand may spill into Miami, the Keys or Orlando.

Other travelers can't be sure what they'll find.

Tara Hunt, a nail technician in Lapeer, Mich., made a booking at the Stirling Suites in Dania Beach through Hotels.com. She got a confirmation number, but when she called the hotel, she never got through.

But she came anyway, with a room booked at $161 a night, scheduled to leave on a cruise today.

Hunt didn't reach the hotel because it has had only emergency power, said Keith Wynne, regional operations manager for Stirling Hotel Management. "That should have never been sold," he said.

Wynne said he called Expedia.com, a sister company to Hotels.com, and canceled the room block. He speculated the word may not have been passed along. He said the $161 rate was for the boat show, and that a group staying at the Stirling Suites without full power Friday was paying $59 a night.

Hunt eventually found a room at a Holiday Inn about a quarter-mile from the Stirling Suites.

Wynne said communication has been difficult, resulting in the misunderstanding.

Thanks Bequia for this message. There are alot of people looking for rooms for their cruises coming up and hopefully this will help them. You and Trent have gone above and beyond to aid us in this situation. Thank you.

Marilyn

We have a non cancellable room at Wellesley Inn Tamarac booked for 1st to 5th

By all accounts Tamarac is not functioning .....however Central reservations REFUSE to answer 6 URGENT E mails

Their website says phone the hotel .............waste of time no phones !!!!!

Just what do they expect overseas vistors to do ?

Originally staying at the LaQuinta Inn which is now closed indefinately, we were forced to find 3 new hotel rooms. I searched until 3am this morning with no luck until coming across the FLL Motel6. They had openings. Not the best hotel but atleast it's a place to sleep and shower.

A HUGE thank you to all CC members for all the invaluable information, espcecially during times like this!

TrentS and Bequia, you both have can gone that extra mile for all uf us. Everyone has benefited from all your help you have given to each of us. A very sincere thank you to you both!

Happy Cruising,

Courtney

CaribbeanCruiser

Which LaQuinta is closed. Is it the one in Hollywood Florida. I have

reservations there for Feb. If thats the one that is closed maybe I

should start to look else where. Did you hear how much damage they

received. Thank you for you help.

Joanne

Joanne,

This is the email I recieved from parksleepfly concerning LaQuinta I had reservation for Dec 10 2005

Hello,

We are writing regarding your ParkSleepFly reservation. Unfortunately, due to Hurricane Wilma, La Quinta Inn and Suites in Hollywood has sustained substantial damage to their property. At this time, the hotel is closed and all reservations have been canceled for the remainder of the year.

Please be assured that we will issue a refund check for the amount you paid online for your reservation. You should receive this check within 10-14 business days.

We apologize for the inconvenience this matter has caused. If we may be of further assistance, please let us know.

Sincerely,

Cathy

ParkSleepFly.com

HI, we are also booked at the La Quinta Inn Airport, is that the Hollywood one ?? Sorry I don't know the area at all. We have a nonrefundable booking thur Hotwire for March, so I am not quite sure what to do. I guess I could call Hotwire and see if I can get a refund, but should probably start looking for another hotel in the mean time.

Thank you Allen and

I also want to thank Bequia for the help you have given , and TrentS also, you guys have been great. Thanks so much.

Cori

Dont know if this helps you or not Cori but here is the info on LaQuinta sound like the place you have reserved. We have stayed here a few times love it cause we can leave are car here.

La Quinta Inn and Suites

Hollywood, FL

btn_make_reservation.gif

Distance from Airport: 3 Miles - 10 Minutes

Airport Shuttle Frequency: Every Hour on the Hour.

Airport Shuttle Hours: 6:00AM - 11:00PM

Hotel Description

As soon as you arrive at the La Quinta? Inn & Suites-Ft. Lauderdale Airport, you will notice a difference. This beautiful, new La Quinta Inn & Suites is located just minutes from Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood International Airport, with nearby access to popular attractions, including Ft. Lauderdale beach and Pro Player Stadium. The La Quinta Inn & Suites-Ft. Lauderdale Airport features popular amenities, including a daily complimentary continental breakfast

Yes, the La Quinta Fort Lauderdale Airport is the one in Hollywood, FL... If you're not going until February or March though don't panic. You might want to book a cancellable back up hotel to be safe, and then see if the La Quinta does in fact reopen after the first of the year. Obviously if it's not open at the time of your "nonrefundable" reservation you WILL get your money back!

Archived