Liberty Internet ?

My DH and I are sailing on Liberty of the Seas Sept 11. I want to pre-purchase an Internet package but I'm confused on which one. I know I want a two device package but cannot decide whether to purchase surf only or surf and stream. I want to be able to FaceTime. RCCL says I have to have streaming to FaceTime but I read a post that said they were able to FaceTime with surf only. There have also been posts that say I have to have streaming. I don't want to pay for something I don't necessarily need. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Barbara

Its really going to be hit or miss with Surf only and Facetime. Maybe it will be good enough to connect for Facetime if you are close to a router or something but it likely wont be stable. In the speedtest screenshots I've seen posted here .... its really not much of a connection to do more than your basic surfing.

Edited by DeadPhish

We are on Liberty now. We purchased surf and stream and have FaceTime our granddaughter daily. Overall, no issues as low nag as you are not in an interior room. My parents are in an interior and were not able but we have been able in our balcony room and solarium

We were on Liberty July 31.

I got the $9 per day one device basic package unlimited access on an offer before we sailed.

When we checked in, they gave me a card with the access code.

It was decent. Enough for a FB post or to check in for our Southwest flights. Not super fast, but enough for what we needed.

If anyone in our group needed access, I just gave them the code. It was was for one device at a time, not limited to one actual device.

I just got off Liberty and had the surf and stream package and overall it was awful. There were two days where there was zero surface for hours at a time. When it did work it was okay. For what it's worth, I wrote a post titled Liberty Voom sucks that chronicles my experience. :rolleyes: Having said that, I would pay for it again simply because I needed to stay connected with my spouse who didn't come on the cruise.

I just got off Liberty and had the surf and stream package and overall it was awful. When it did work it was okay. For what it's worth, I wrote a post titled Liberty Voom sucks that chronicles my experience. :rolleyes:

I posted the following in that thread...

Not going to name CC member, but he is currently on Liberty and in the RS. He was invited to dine with an officer and he specifically addressed the internet issue. This is his post from Facebook after eating with the IT manager:

"Liberty is the only Freedom Class ship that doesn't have O3B satellite dishes and there are no plans for her to get real Voom due to the lack of satellite coverage in the western Carib."

I posted the following in that thread...

While I don't doubt the convo with the IT manager, I have to wonder how privy the manager is to actual plans from corporate. In my experience, middle management tends to be among the last to actually know anything, but they love to speculate. Not to mention that such plans change with the winds.

Regardless, I'll stick with the Surf & Stream plan I've prepurchased for my October cruise.

We are on Liberty now. We purchased surf and stream and have FaceTime our granddaughter daily. Overall, no issues as low nag as you are not in an interior room. My parents are in an interior and were not able but we have been able in our balcony room and solarium

Signal affects.

I´ve sailed on the Liberty about a year ago, which was Prior to all the VOOM Marketing.

I used skype to call home every single day (voice only, no Video) and it worked great, only minimal delays and an occasional echo. Anyway I was surprised it worked so well.

OTOH I sailed Ovation this year and the Internet sucked big time compared to Liberty.

While I don't doubt the convo with the IT manager, I have to wonder how privy the manager is to actual plans from corporate.

A simple question like "How do all the other O3B equipped ships on Western itineraries get their internet?" would have shown that guy knew nothing and making up BS.