Regular balcony vs cove balcony

WeddNcruise

We will be sailing on the Breeze, we've purchased a regular balcony but I'm seeing pictures of a cove balcony and should have prob done more research before hand but can you tell me the pros and cons of the 2 types?

Cove looks safer?

I'm sailing with my 5 and 2 year old and am a little nervous about them being on the balcony.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cove looks safer?

I'm sailing with my 5 and 2 year old and am a little nervous about them being on the balcony.

Are you concerned about leaving them unsupervised, and them getting on a chair, climbing up and jumping off the ship? If so, it is NOT safer.

It is their proximity to the sea and the chance for rough seas, not falling or jumping off.

If you've ever been on really rough seas, you will understand why they are built as they are.

I hope this helps. :)

Coves are awesome. I will always book one over regular balconies on ships that have them. I love being close to the water, and the fact that there is more shade and privacy.

With that being said, I don't cruise with little kids. Either option will be safe because it's not like you are going to let your kids play on the balcony unsupervised, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Coves are awesome. I will always book one over regular balconies on ships that have them. I love being close to the water, and the fact that there is more shade and privacy.

With that being said, I don't cruise with little kids. Either option will be safe because it's not like you are going to let your kids play on the balcony unsupervised, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Definitely NOT unsupervised. I have a slight fear of heights and just thinking about there out there (with myself or my husband) still gives me chills.

Silly I know. But I liked how the cove isn't a glass railing like the regular.

Wonder if it's too late to change?

The only thing I worry about is the galley... The noise would drive me nuts cuz it would keep my kids up.

As long as the children are not unsupervised, one is not safer than the other. On a regular balcony the railing will probably be much higher that the child's head....only if they stand on the small table or chair would there be an issue...and if you are out there with them....no issue at all. A regular balcony affords beautiful views, due to the glass and more open feeling and more sunlight which is tons more preferable to us. The cove balconies are enclosed in sheet metal (the hull of the ship), below the life boats and much darker which is not preferable to us. But to each their own, everyone likes something different. Just be out on the balcony with your kids in either case.

Edited by buddylover

Almost all ships have regular balconies but there are only 3 that I know of that have cove balconies on the lower decks close to the water so when I am on one of these 3 I make sure to get a cove balcony.

It is so nice being close to the water and being able to see a whale or dolphin close up instead of seeing one from the 12th floor balcony where it looks like a trout.

With the children along, I would stick with a standard balcony. I would want them to be able to see the water, islands, and anything out there without climbing on a chair/table to see out, or having you hold them up all the time. Much safer even if it is further to the water. The choice is yours.

Enjoy whichever you do choose.

We will be sailing on the Breeze, we've purchased a regular balcony but I'm seeing pictures of a cove balcony and should have prob done more research before hand but can you tell me the pros and cons of the 2 types?

Cove looks safer?

I would also choose a standard balcony so they can see out through the glass and not have to stand on something to see over. Standard balcony with glass gives much better views if you just want to sit and relax with them. Otherwise they probably won't be able to see and may be more compelled to try to climb or stand on something. Just my opinion.

My 2 cents... A cove balcony might tempt the kids to want to get up on furniture to see out which would be more dangerous... At least with the glass they can see out from the deck...

That's a really good point. I can see my child begging for us to let her up so she can see.

Thanks. I'll stick to the standard one.

We had a cove on the Breeze this year and really enjoyed it. With small children however they couldn't see much and might climb to enable this. The only con I have on the coves is the floor getting very wet and drys to a salty finish, we kept a beach towel on the floor inside the door to dry our feet on.

Almost all ships have regular balconies but there are only 3 that I know of that have cove balconies on the lower decks close to the water so when I am on one of these 3 I make sure to get a cove balcony.

It is so nice being close to the water and being able to see a whale or dolphin close up instead of seeing one from the 12th floor balcony where it looks like a trout.

Actually, there are currently four ships that have cove balconies. The Magic, the Dream, the Breeze and the Vista.

Cove looks safer?

Go to Youtube and do a search for Carnival cove balconies. You'll see how they're made compared to a regular balcony. Yes, the front panels are steel instead of plexiglass, but there is a gap between the top rail and the panels, so the children would be able to see the ocean without standing on furniture. As others have already said, whether you're in a regular balcony cabin or a cove balcony cabin, don't leave your children unattended on your balcony.

As others have already said, whether you're in a regular balcony cabin or a cove balcony cabin, don't leave your children unattended on your balcony.

Lol I'm not sure why you feel that's necessary to add. I'm not in the habit of endangering my children.

When I said it seems safer I meant the cove looks more enclosed and I would feel more at ease being with them on there.

I don't think anyone would let small children alone on a balcony and if they would then ur warning wouldn't deter them anyways.

Not seeing why safety is an issue. No way a child could open the heavy balcony doors.

It's more a matter of preference. Cove balconies, due to the rounded shape of the hull, seem a bit roomier and the view of the ocean is unimpaired and really close. They also afford some shade from the lifeboats.

Higher balconies on some classes of ships look directly down onto deck 5 but still offer a truly panoramic view. They are sunnier unless you book directly below the Lido deck, which overhangs the back portion of the balcony.

Pick your balcony and ENJOY!

Go to Youtube and do a search for Carnival cove balconies. You'll see how they're made compared to a regular balcony. Yes, the front panels are steel instead of plexiglass, but there is a gap between the top rail and the panels, so the children would be able to see the ocean without standing on furniture. As others have already said, whether you're in a regular balcony cabin or a cove balcony cabin, don't leave your children unattended on your balcony.

I agree. It is easier to see the water from a cove than a regular balcony because it has no plexiglass to get dirty. Just know that there is open space between the top rail and half way to the floor of the balcony.

I'm not sure I'd want the 2 yr old playing out there with the salt water that can wash up on the decks of the cove balcony in higher waves. Might be constantly drying them off if they sit down or fall down playing, or if they get their hands down in then rub their eyes/face. I would stick to the regular one for now and switch to a cove when they are both older. The 5 yr old wouldn't be a worry but I wouldn't do a cove with a toddler.

With a regular one the toddler can play out on the balcony decking without worry. As long as you supervise them of course (totally kidding, I couldn't resist lol)

We love cove balconies, have had 1 on the Breeze & 2 on the Dream. But haven't had to worry about small children as you do. We love the proximity to the water & the shade from lifeboats above. Our favorite cove was a port side cove, it was fun watching people reboard the ship after a day on shore. There is a little shelf along the front of the balcony- perfect to set our coffe cup or glass of wine while we watch the sea go by.

The negatives: as someone else said check what is above you, we try for above shore excursions desk or guest services. Another is the balcony is usually damp/wet. another is they might have to close off your balcony if there are rough seas.

Enjoy your cruise no matter where your balcony is.