First Time Cruiser: Need Advice for Jackets and Sweaters in September

kaphinga

I am getting ready for a Princess Land/Cruise to Alaska from September 13-25. This is my first cruise and my first trip to Alaska. Thanks to what I have read on this board, I am feeling good about most of my packing list -- formal wear, pants, shoes, etc. --- but my jacket/sweater list is totally out of control.

My basic packing list (except for jackets) is:

• 3 pants (1 dark wash denim, 1 black (dress denim or nylon/travel), 1 khaki -- and maybe a pair of exercise/yoga pants)

• 6-7 shirts: turtlenecks mostly, with maybe a crewneck or two thrown in

• silk and merino long underwear

• 2-3 shoes (1 light Goretex hiker, 1 Naot Matai, and possibly 1 Merrell Jungle moc)

• 1 formal black pantsuit with 2 drop-dead gorgeous scarves. (Appropriate for opera. I assume it will be appropriate for formal nights as well.)

• Assorted scarves (1 large cashmere, which I always take on any trip, 1 cheap pashmina, and an assortment of *very* nice silk scarves.)

• Hat, gloves, etc.

First, a little background:

• The temperature forecast is a pretty consistent 40-60 degrees. The rain forecast is all over the place.

• Generally speaking, I am a jeans and turtleneck type of person. I almost never wear dresses or high heels. Dressing up for me means adding nice scarves, jewelry and jackets to jeans and a turtleneck.

• I am traveling with my very southern and lady-like, 80 year old mother (and her friends). She understands that I don't wear glittery, slinky clothes (actually, she doesn't wear them either), but at the same time she doesn't want me to look like I just stepped off a hiking trail.

• Most of the excursions will be toward the less active end of the scale. I may take a couple of more active excursions on my own, but overall I want to spend time with my mom. On the other hand, I take my photography pretty seriously and so I have a tendency to climb around things or stretch out on the ground or do whatever it takes to get an angle of view that I like.

So, here is the jacket/sweater list:

• Waterproof, breathable shell (Marmot Precip or North Face Venture. I have both, and will take one.)

• Primaloft zip hoodie (REI Revelcloud -- warm, windproof, water resistant, 11 ounces, packs into its own pocket) I wear this jacket a lot when I walk my dogs.

• Primaloft print jacket. It's more tailored/dressy than the REI version, but it is considerably more difficult to layer and lacks a hood. Otherwise, it shares the same characteristics as the REI version. This definitely belongs in the "keep mom happy" category. At the same time, I think it would be nice on days when we have a lot of bus time, especially on the bus/train rides to Denali.

• Light Fleece zip up (Polartec 200, unlined) -- I could see stuffing this into my day bag or wearing it to relax in the cabin.

• Heavier, wind-resistant fleece. This jacket is is much more structured than the light fleece. This, paired with the Primaloft hoodie, seems ideal for glacier days and such.

• Fleece vest (Polartec 200). I tend to wear fleece vests (layered with Primaloft) more than jackets at home. But is this warm enough for Alaska?

• Primaloft vest. Weighs almost nothing and packs into its own pocket. My version is somewhat dressier that the fleece vest.

• Light waterfall cardigan. Dresses up nicely with a scarf for evenings.

• Classic navy blue cable knit sweater. Dresses up nicely with a scarf for evenings. A bit on the heavy side compared to the other jackets.

• Big furry vest. It looks like a vest version of my raccoon coat, but it's fake. I *love* this thing, even though it is bulky. I wore it on the plane to Venice a while back, and it was warm and comfy and drew lots of nice compliments from total strangers. It's a great statement piece that looks terrific with jeans. It makes me feel good, and I kind of hate to leave it at home.

All of this adds up to 10 sweaters and jackets, which seems excessive for a 13 day trip. On the other hand, I can see wearing everything on the list multiple times. Also, the combined weight of the jackets, excluding the big furry vest that I wear on the plane, is less than 7 pounds. Right now, my checked bag, including the 9 jackets and the weight of the suitcase, weighs 25 pounds. I am very careful about making detailed packing lists, and I weigh each item on kitchen scales. The weight will probably go up a little, but not much. (I have given up on carry-on only for this trip.)

So, am I crazy to take 10 jackets and sweaters? If so, what would you eliminate? Do you have any other advice or suggestions?

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Edited by kaphinga

I am a serious over-packer and that is quite a long list of sweaters and jackets! I have usually regretted taking as many items as I did. What worked for me on our Alaska cruise was just like many people here recommend...layers, layers, layers. This can be accomplished with just a few items. What worked for me was long sleeve shirt or sweatshirt, scarf, vest (like a puffy vest for wearing over long sleeve shirt or sweat shirt), and a rain-proof jacket (I took a Columbia jacket). The light weight rain jacket for both of us fit easily into a backpack. The vest made it easy to take on and off if the weather changed. Regardless of what you decide about your clothing items you will have a great trip!

Will be leaving for Alaska Sept 5 - 15. Sixth time there. Not on a big ship this cruise, but trying something totally different - an expedition cruise (Alaskan Dream cruises)with just 40 passengers so we can get close to wildlife, glaciers and go to small towns to learn about local history etc. A different adventure for us, but comes with very high ratings. I'm excited

Appears you have a LOT of clothes. As others said layers is the answer and be prepared for rain. I have rain pants, waterproof shoes and jacket and only one fleece to put under the jacket and two turtlenecks, three pair jeans and one sort of nicer pair of black pants

and a few blouses/tops and one sweater. I also take a pair of stretchy gloves from dollar store and silk long johns to wear under the jeans & water proof jacket when viewing the glaciers on deck. A headband or something warm for head for glacier viewing. It gets very windy on deck and the views are spectacular! You just don't want to go inside, so bundle up for that. Princess also has lap blankets on deck and you can wrap yourself up in one of them if need be

Remember Princess has self serve laundry on board and if you are like me, you will probably buy a sweater or sweatshirt in one of the towns (great end of season sales). Princess cruises are much more casual in Alaska than in Europe. We have enjoyed our many Princess cruises. They know how to people move efficiently.

Have a great trip. Alaska is so majestic.

Don't forget the binoculars!

Thank you all so much for your responses. What I am hearing basically is that, in addition to turtlenecks and long underwear and such, I need:

• ONE protection layer (rain shell)
  • ONE casual warmth layer (fleece or primaloft, vest or jacket -- pick just one)
  • ONE dressier warmth layer on the ship (light sweater)

I knew that my jacket/sweater list was out of control, but I couldn't figure out how to whittle it down. The irony of all of this is that I am accustomed to packing carry-on only for trips to Europe. The combination of chilly/rainy weather and the various dress requirements for the cruise (casual, smart casual, and formal), though, is a challenge.

kaphinga: I think that you are on the right track with one (waterproof - not water-resistant) protection layer, one casual warmth and one dressier warmth layers.

But I just wanted to comment that we've done several Alaska cruises (yes -- people who live in Alaska also do Alaska cruises) on our cruise line of preference. We've been on that particular cruise line for trans-Pacific, trans-Atlantic, European, Caribbean and South American itineraries. The passengers on those Alaskan itineraries were definitely dressed more casually than we would have observed on other itineraries.

I'm going to Alaska in mid-September. On cool weather cruises I always wish I'd brought more warm clothes, but I do think you could probably whittle down your list. I do take too much sometimes, but the too much part is usually dressier clothes which I don't wear too much. For the outerwear part of my cruise, I'm taking a packable down jacket that rolls up into a small bag, a medium weight fleece Polartec jacket, a rain poncho, rain hat, lined knit hat and gloves. I'm not a hiker or anything close to that or I would bring a true waterproof jacket. For me a poncho is enough if I get caught in the rain. For the ship, I will also take a hoodie sweatshirt, jeans, black slacks, long sleeve and short sleeve tops and tees and a pair of shorter pants. The short sleeves and short pants are in hopes of warmer days in the beginning and end of the cruise. I will take one nice pair of slacks and two nice tops for gala nights.

Personally, I never wear turtlenecks unless it's freezing, and certainly not at 60F! At 60, I'd be wearing shorts and a t-shirt. I usually cruise in July, but even in September, I'd take some short-sleeved shirts and a pair of shorts, or at least capris.

On my most recent trip to Alaska, I took a rain shell, a slim-fitting lightweight fleece, a big pullover hoodie, and a fleece vest. I wore the first 3 together in Glacier Bay. The hoodie fits over the fleece jacket, and the rain shell fits over it all. I had a long-sleeved shirt underneath. You could potentially wear long underwear under it all if you are really sensitive to the cold. I sometimes wore the rain shell over one other jacket at other times, but usually only one jacket/vest or none at all.

You don't want to have too much, but if it all fits and is easy to pack each day of the land-tour, there's no real problem. Denali could be cold in September - you are in the mountains. I once had snow in late August on a bus tour there. (It also could be warm!).

You sound like you will be outside lots, on the ship and on land, so do take more warm layers than some might suggest.

Definitely an outer waterproof/windproof shell. You could go for only one vest - fleece or primaloft. And only one of the primaloft jackets (I'd vote REI Revelcloud)... no one should expect dressy jackets while sitting on a bus!

I'm not much help, I suppose. Have to pack tonight for my trip (leaving home right after work tomorrow)! But I don't have a land portion to worry about - just cruise. Still not sure what layers I'm taking!!

Edited by georgie73

Thank you all again for your responses.

NorthernAurora: Thanks for easing my worries about the formality in the dining room. I plan to wear nice jeans with a couple of different tops, except on formal nights.

And I hear what you are saying about waterproof vs. water resistant rain gear. I recall being in New Orleans for Mardi Gras a couple of years ago. Quite unexpectedly, it was 37 degrees, absolutely pouring rain and windy all day. My "water resistant" jacket soaked through by midday, and I have never been so miserable. Never again will I leave home without a waterproof, breathable jacket.

KruzPrincess: I am slowly but surely whittling down the list. I'll do the minimum with dressy clothes; the warm clothes are my weakness.

SherryF: You are much more warm-natured than I. I never wear shorts out of the house except to walk the dogs or ride my bicycle in 90+ degree weather. And I don't own any capri's, unless you count my khaki travel pants that convert into capris. Usually, by 60 degrees, I am transitioning into long sleeves and turtlenecks.

Georgie73: Good luck packing tonight! And have a great trip! I am in agreement with you about your suggestions. I leaning toward 1 rain jacket, 1 vest and the Revelcloud for the casual portion of the trip. I still haven't quite worked out what to wear for evening dinners on the ship.