Camera gear for a trip to China

woody73

We visited Beijing and Shanghai several years ago as overnight stops on a cruise. On that trip, my camera was an Olympus digital point and shoot.

We've decided to return to China, and will include two destinations we missed last time -- the Terracotta Warriors and the Yangtze River. We'll be on a 15-day package tour going to: Beijing - Xi'an - Chongqing - Yangtze River - Jingzhou - Wuhan - Suzhou - Shanghai.

I plan to take:

• Nikon D810
  • 24-120 f/4.0 (as my primary walk-around lens)
  • 70-200mm f/2.8 (for the Yangtze river cruise and Terracotta Warriors)
  • Polarizer
  • Canon S100 point and shoot

I'm also thinking of taking:

• 20mm f/1.8 (for landscapes, cityscapes, Terracotta Warriors Pit 1 overview)
  • 35mm f/1/8 (night street food stalls)
  • TC14-E III 1.4x teleconverter
  • SB910 external flash
  • Manfrotto PIXI EVO tabletop tripod
  • Remote shutter release

Any thoughts on this selection of gear for this type of trip? Any suggestions on what to leave at home, or anything else to bring?

Also, while out sightseeing in China, would it be better to carry these in a shoulder bag or a backpack?

Thanks.

Woody

The 24-120 f4 is not my favorite on a D810 The 20 1.8 and a any 50/35 would do on the wide/normal end and if the 70-200 is the VR II then you're set.

I'd take the TC and the SB-910

You might be surprised how much you use the 20. I use a flash a lot for outdoor shot in bright sunlight to reduce shadows if the object is close.

Nice kit.

framer

• 4 weeks later...

Just returned from China on a 21 day trip that included 3 nights on the

Yangtze River to the dam.

I used a Nikon D7100 with 17-70mm & 70-300mm which cover all my needs. I realize this a crop frame camera & yours is a full frame. Was happy to have the

extra reach on the river portion & our Shanghai at night riverboat excursion. All the lighted high rise building were exciting. All my photos were hand-held.

John

We are heading to China/Korea in March and I am planning to taking my "regular" stuff. Canon 5D III, 16-35mm f2.8, 24-105 f4 and 70-200 IS II 2.8 along with the TC 1.4 III I have found it to be just fine after traveling through Australia, New Zealand, Alaska and the Western Med. The 24-105 is the one that is on most of the time, just a nice walk around lens. I have never been a fan of back packs when actually working/shooting. It is too hard to stop and get out what you need. I am much happier having it at my side where I can get things quickly.

• 3 weeks later...

I took an additional accessory on our trip to China -- a compact monopod with a ballhead.

It rained the day we visited the Terracotta Warriors. The sky was filled with dark clouds the entire day. Pit 1 is illuminated only by skylights, so the lighting was low. The monopod was invaluable to shooting in these conditions with a low ISO.

Thank you to all who shared advice.

Woody

I took an additional accessory on our trip to China -- a compact monopod with a ballhead.

It rained the day we visited the Terracotta Warriors. The sky was filled with dark clouds the entire day. Pit 1 is illuminated only by skylights, so the lighting was low. The monopod was invaluable to shooting in these conditions with a low ISO.

Good suggestion. If budget permits, I'd recommend a "monopod head" to go on top of your monopod. Those are one-axis heads that allow you to tip the lens down or up, but otherwise keep the camera/lens level (to the monopod, at least). That makes it a lot easier to keep your shots level and avoid your camera flopping over to one side or the other. Obviously, any head is probably better than no head, but I recommend the specialty head if you can do it.