Car Rental - Which Car Do You Recommend?

pullen0

I will be flying in at 4:00pm on a Wednesday and boarding my cruise on a Saturday. I'm wanting to rent a car for at least 1 day to drive to El Yunque and Lechonera Los Pinos.

I've been checking a car rental site and if I pick the car up at Caribe Hilton in Old San Juan, I can get a Kia Rio for $25 a day. The same car would be $66 if I pick it up at the airport. For that price difference, I'll take a cab to Caribe Hilton.

I will be staying at the Casablanca Hotel in San Juan. My plan is to spend my first full day going to El Yunque and the other full day in the Old San Juan area and possibly venturing out from there a little. I'm also wanting to make a stop at a grocery store to pick up last minute supplies before boarding the ship. With it being so cheap, I'm thinking about renting it for the 3 days and just paying to park it at night.

I can get a 4 door Jeep Wrangler for $70 but I've heard you want as small a vehicle as possible to navigate the Puerto Rican roads to El Yunque. Would a Kia Rio be a good car for this? Is there something I'm missing here?

Thanks in advance.

We've had cars from Ford Edge's down to small cars- I've never had a problem getting around.

The Jeep would be fine- unless you really want it, a jeep isn't needed.

The narrow roads are mostly in the very old areas of towns. Or in the heart of the mountains- where you share the road with some interesting trucks.

But if all you are doing is going to El Yunque, any car will be fine.