Carnival Victory review

wineandbeach

This was my 14th cruise usually on Celebrity, Royal or Princess. This was also my first cruise under 7 days and first cruise out of Port Canaveral as well as our first Carnival Cruise. We chose the Carnival Victory 4 day cruise since it fit into our schedule.

We flew on a 6 AM flight the day of the cruise. I have also never came in the day of a cruise but it is all time allowed. We took Cortrans Shuttle from Orlando airport to the port. They were at the arranged place at the arranged time and I would definitely use them again. We arrived at the port very early (planned this in case of flight delays but there was not any). We were very happy to be able to check in right away and sit in the air conditioning while waiting to board. In Ft Lauderdale, many times, we had to wait outside until the boarding time.

We had FTTF. Weddings boarded first (there were a few and that took some time) then Platinum and Diamond (which went quick) and then us. We were on just before 12. Our room was ready which was really nice to be able to dump off our stuff. One advantage of FTTF was the priority line for Guest Services. Guest services was always a long line as well as the Kiosks to see your charges. We never had lines at all in FTTF line.

The buffet was definitely my biggest (really only) complaint. I felt it was the worst selection of any cruise I have ever been on. The lines were horrible throughout the cruise and it had terrible hours (always closed when we got back from ports) The Burger and Pizza stations were usually open but lines were very long (at least half hour). I also like to have a soda with my meals and I had to go out and wait in line at the pool bar. Other ships I have been on have either a soda/beer/wine station right in the buffet or have servers who go get your drink.

We had late dinner and our service was the best we have had in years. Ricardo was very attentive and brought us everything we asked for (which sometimes was many different appetizers as well as our meals) We always had water and anything we wanted to drink. Dinners were good and we really enjoyed the dining room.

Our room and balcony was much smaller than other ships but we weren't in there enough to care. We were on deck 8 right below the Lido so at times heard shuffling but never enough to bother us.

My first impression on the first day was the ship was filled with nothing but young drunks but we honestly didn't see them any more on the trip after that first day. It was a nice crowd with friendly people and service.

We had the Cheers package. We probably are close with getting our moneys worth but we enjoy having it and not thinking about what we are spending since we bought it pre cruise. One thing that surprised me was that we were charged tax on all drinks while in port. On other lines, we were never charged tax if we bought the package pre cruise. Again, this was a minimal amount and not enough to care about. We enjoyed the Alchemy bar and also went to the piano bar often. I did miss having a Champagne or wine bar as we had on other ships but the Alchemy bar was a fun place with great drinks.

The ship is old and a little worn but not anything bad. Two of the 3 main pools were closed for repair on the sea day. A little inconvenient but luckily I was in the adult poor all morning and had enough sun by the time it closed.

We went on a snorkeling tour with Pat and Diane in Freeport and had a great time. We went to the BC Hilton in Nassau which was a nice relaxing day.

That's all I can think of for now but if you have any questions, let me know.

Thanks for your review of the Victory. I enjoyed a very nice 5 day cruise on her last October. I agree that the lido buffet area is often very crowded. I learned to avoid it at busy times if at all possible. The next size up ship/conquest class have two separate buffet lines, and I find that works better. I did love that green atrium though! I love colorful things, so it was a good one for me:) Thanks again, nice review!

Edited by SMSACE6

Thanks for the review! I will be on there in January, the last time was 11 years ago.

Those buffet lines can be long... The first thing I normally do after dropping my luggage in the cabin is head up for my gridiron all cheesburger. :D

If you have the FTTF you can get there and avoid the crowds on the first day.

Beware of the taxis when you leave the ship in Freeport. We took taxi to Grand Lucayan for beach day and returned to taxi station at 3pm(ship leaves at 5pm) only to be told taxi not available until 4pm and ship wants you back onboard by 4:30.there were 3 taxis standing by while we waited and when taxi arrived,driver had to stop for gas and pick up at another location.we got back with 20 min to spare,not complaining but giving info so you don't have same expierence

I was just on Victory in July and I agree the buffet lines were pretty bad, but never 1/2 hour bad. I think the longest I waited was the Chinese, which was about 15 minutes or so. The service in the MDR was definitely good.

Edited by FloridaMommyof3

We sailed the Victory on our honeymoon four years ago out of Puerto Rico and never encountered extraordinarily long lines at the buffet except at the Mongolion Wok. Wonder if the different itinerary (Southern Caribbean) had anything to do with it

The ship was a little older but still clean and we enjoyed sailing on her.

Edited by Herfnerd

Thanks for your review. My girlfriend and I will also be in a balcony on the 8th deck (Cabin 8224) and was wondering if you felt your cabin had been refurbished. I understand they are updating (new carpeting, flat screen tv, new bathroom vanity) that floor and others. Also, was the Lido deck noise apparent when you were just on your balcony or do you mean at night through the ceiling?

We had no updates in our room. Still big bulky tv. I really didn't feel the room was that bad even without the updates. Very clean but just a little outdated look to it. The noise was both in our room and on our balcony. It really was muffled and besides hearing it slightly, it just didn't bother us. My sister (8414) heard a lot of noise (from above) on her balcony one afternoon but again it didn't last long.

Beware of the taxis when you leave the ship in Freeport. We took taxi to Grand Lucayan for beach day and returned to taxi station at 3pm(ship leaves at 5pm) only to be told taxi not available until 4pm and ship wants you back onboard by 4:30.there were 3 taxis standing by while we waited and when taxi arrived,driver had to stop for gas and pick up at another location.we got back with 20 min to spare,not complaining but giving info so you don't have same expierence

That is the reason I always head back hours early to make sure I am on the boat 1 hour in advance so if I needed to be on the boat by 430 I want to make sure I am there by 330 which means I start heading back by 130 - Most times I am there by 2 but if something delays us we dont have to worry about it