Air2Sea - did I make the right decision?

sndral

On August 6 I booked my first RCI cruise & my first cruise in 15 years. I did it on the phone and purchased airfare using Air2Sea. Then I started reading here:confused:

The flights booked were an overnight direct from SFO to FRA w/a 70 minute layover in Frankfurt & then off to Venice arriving 12:30 w/ the ship leaving at 5pm that day.

I was concerned about the short layover in FRA as my vague recollection from the one time I connected there before was that the airport was huge. So I started tracking my flight to figure out gates & whether I could deplane & board the Venice flight in 70 minutes.

What I discovered was that for the last 14 days the SFO flight has arrived in FRA on time only twice, 7 times it arrived so late that the connecting Venice flight had already left, for the other 5 late arrivals actually making the connection looked dicey. I checked for later flights - there was one arriving at Venice mid afternoon and one arriving at 8 at night.

I decided the wisest thing to do was to fly in a day earlier - the RCI Air2Sea person tried to talk me out of it citing the 'guarentee' to get me to the ship on time or to catch me up to the ship - but it seemed to me it was worth the change fee and ultimately he rebooked the flights & I now arrive in Venice the day before my cruise.

Now I'm wondering if while I was at it I should have rebooked the Venice flight for the later mid afternoon one and given myself a longer layover given the SFO flight's frequent late arrivals - but I don't want to pay another change fee.

Was I right to change flights & arrive the day before sailing?

Am I ok w/ the tight connection to Venice now? Even if I miss the original connection there are 2 later flights that day & 2 the next day which could get me into Venice in time to board for the 5 pm sailing.

Edited by sndral

Absolutely the right thing to do. I think most of the people on these forums fly in a day early. You will be sure to make the ship, and will have extra time in Venice!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I think you made the right decision to go a day early. I guess coming home wouldn't be as critical although it is always nice to get home as planned.

What surprises me is that they even offered a flight that arrived same day! I thought that coming from the US - they only offered flights that arrived the day before. Maybe your first day aboard is an overnight stay in Venice? If so, I would have been okay with the first flight.

I will be comparison shopping for flights to Venice in 2017 and although I have never used Air2Sea yet - I am interested to see what flights are offered.

I would never, never arrive the same day with an international flight. Booking through the cruise line is the right thing to do, but I would only fly the day before. International flights, if missed, or late are not easily able to rebook like domestic flights. You can be delayed hours, if not overnight.

I had an international flight that I arrived at final destination 7 hours late. I was rerouted several times, and my luggage was followed 24 hours later. No, it was not a cruise, and although annoying, it wakes you up to what can happen, and with a cruise, you don't have flexibility.

...Maybe your first day aboard is an overnight stay in Venice? If so, I would have been okay with the first flight.

I will be comparison shopping for flights to Venice in 2017 and although I have never used Air2Sea yet - I am interested to see what flights are offered.

The ship sails (how wonderful it feels to type that) at 5 pm that first day, so no overnight in Venice that first night - first port of call Dubrovnik the next day - I looked at how hard it would be to join at Dubrovnik & decided it looked like a challenge.

Regarding the Air2Sea, I'd priced flights on kayak the day before I called to book the cruise & the price they offered was actually a few dollars less than kayak had.

The initial change fee was quoted as $250, but after I said to do it it actually worked out to $97.

The luggage is what I'd be concerned about with the short connection.

Perhaps I should stay in a hotel close to Marco Polo Airport that night, in case I need to return to collect my luggage. I'll certainly pack my carry on w/ that in mind.

I have 3 nights in Venice after the cruise already booked at a hotel in Venice proper so that new night pre cruise I'm mostly interested in what'll be most convenient.

Edited by sndral

In the limited times I have booked our International flights, I have always given ourselves 2 to 3 nights pre cruise as i feel it maybe the last time we will ever got there so want to see as much as we can. Next August w will be flying to Copenhagen and will arrive 3 days before our sailing.