Oct in the Mediterranean

lifeasme123

I am looking at a Med cruise (Italy/Greece or Italy/Spain/France) in late Oct 2017. I would like to some feedback from those who visited in Oct how the weather was for them. I will add a land tour to Jerusalem before or after it as well. TIA!

Edited by jen70

We cruised last October (returning Halloween) on Vision of the Seas and we felt we had perfect weather. Weather was in the low 70's and sunny during the day. We went from Barcelona to Venice and back. I brought an all-weather jacket in case I needed it, but it never rained [emoji5]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In October the weather is generally still quite decent in most areas of the Med, although the more northerly ports (Venice, some ports in France) may be more likely to be cool and rainy.

That said, I have had mostly great weather in October and even into November in the Med on five different cruises. Early in the month it may still be hot; from mid-October it's more likely to be very pleasant. I generally haven't hit a lot of rain (maybe one rainy day per cruise), but the seas can be a little rougher due to windy conditions. Once we weren't able to get into Civitavecchia despite several efforts by the pilot -- they eventually closed the port. And in Rhodes we had to abort a tender stop at Lindos due to the waves crashing over the dock repeatedly (not very good for the tender boats or the passengers in them).

I'm going to the Med Oct 5-17 (Barcelona looping around Italy). Every port I checked said the same high of low 70s for the month of October. I wish I knew where to find more specific data, as here in NJ, there's a big difference between the beginning and the end of the month. Does that mean the beginning might be high or mid-seventies if the monthly average is low 70s? I'm planning on packing mostly 3/4 sleeve light blouses and pants, some short sleeve tops and dresses if it's hot, and sweaters if it's chilly.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Bound4Bermuda

I'm going to the Med Oct 5-17 (Barcelona looping around Italy). Every port I checked said the same high of low 70s for the month of October. I wish I knew where to find more specific data, as here in NJ, there's a big difference between the beginning and the end of the month. Does that mean the beginning might be high or mid-seventies if the monthly average is low 70s? I'm planning on packing mostly 3/4 sleeve light blouses and pants, some short sleeve tops and dresses if it's hot, and sweaters if it's chilly.

If you go to wunderground.com and put in a destination, then select the "History" tab, you can get detailed history for any specific date in the past, or by week (or month). I'm not sure how useful it is to look at a specific day, but the week feature does give you a sense -- if you look at several different years -- of what the weather tends to be at that time.

If you go to wunderground.com and put in a destination, then select the "History" tab, you can get detailed history for any specific date in the past, or by week (or month). I'm not sure how useful it is to look at a specific day, but the week feature does give you a sense -- if you look at several different years -- of what the weather tends to be at that time.

Thank you for the tip! That's very helpful!

I have cruised the Med in oct a couple of times and I think it is almost perfect. You still tend to get nice days that are good for exploring without it being stinking hot. You may not get many beach days and some popular beach type areas may have already closed up for the season, but everything else is still business as usual.