Wine Shop Suggestions - NYC

nyfeds

We are flying into NYC several days prior to our Sirena cruise. Rather than pack wine in our check in luggage to bring on-board, we may prefer to purchase wine prior to embarkation, in the City. We will be staying in the City (Midtown). Any good wine shop suggestions?

Thanks!

Denise

Edited by nyfeds

I was going to suggest a wine shop that I have very occasionally visited midtown east, in the '60s (or maybe the '70s) but I can't find any reference to it now.

The fact is that in midtown Manhattan -- if that is where you are staying -- you can probably just walk down the street and find a good place.

I live in Brooklyn Heights (jump off the Brooklyn Bridge on the Brooklyn end and you are here) and we have several excellent purveyors of good (and not so good) wines.

Maybe you should ask advice at your hotel. They should know good wine shops in the area.

Mura

Thanks, Mura. I was hoping for some suggestions from some NYers here on this forum. I'll definitely ask at the Desk or Concierge.

BTW, I'm a Queens girl, but spent lots and lots of time both in Brooklyn (my grandmother lived on Brighton 4th Street) and in the City. :)

Denise

I found it! http://*******.com/hb3hac5

I was thinking of "Sherry-Netherlands" which is a hotel and not "Sherry-Lehmann. It looks like they have moved -- It's a long time since I've been in the store but they have a huge supply and always had a great reputation. May it have changed? Sure! They used to be on Lexington Avenue,now it appears they are at 505 Park Avenue. (According to the map between East 59th and 60th Streets.)

If you are staying on the west side, this wouldn't be so convenient anyway. BUT if you were thinking of ordering as much as a case, apparently they would deliver.

Depending on where you are staying, I would still suggest talking to the hotel staff.

Sorry! I forgot that CC won't let us use tiny urls. The full link is

https://www.sherry-lehmann.com/collection/50-freedelivery?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Imerex%20-%20Branded%20NY%20%26%20CT%20Sherry-Lehmann&utm_term=sherry%20lehmann&utm_content=Sherry-Lehmann%20Wine

Mura

Edited by Mura
Fixing link

By the way, Denise ... Might we be on the same cruise?

No, probably not... we're leaving from Barcelona on October 4th and sailing TO NYC. It appears you are sailing *from* NYC ...

So forget I asked! But depending on when you will be in NYC, maybe we could get together.

Mura

We can think of several excellent mid town wine shops...but our recommendation would normally be based upon your exact hotel location. Not having that makes it a shot in the dark....but if you want a high-end type wine shop there is one located right in Rockefeller Center called Morrell. But if you were further uptown..the place we have liked (for decades) is called Sherry Lehman at 59th and Park. Another high-end shop with an amazing inventory.

Hank

We often use:

http://www.drinkupny.com/

to send gifts to friends who are sailing from the NYC piers.

Sailing from NYC ourselves, I'd do the same in order to avoid lugging heavy, breakables.

international-delivery.jpg

Their selection is large and they do an amazing job of packing and delivering, however, the rules for accepting delivery at the pier are stringent, so the customer must specify that:

The Pier #, Sailing Date, Ship Name, Passenger Name and Stateroom # must be printed on the outside of the package.

By the way, Denise ... Might we be on the same cruise?

No, probably not... we're leaving from Barcelona on October 4th and sailing TO NYC. It appears you are sailing *from* NYC ...

So forget I asked! But depending on when you will be in NYC, maybe we could get together.

Mura

Thanks so much, Mura! Wish we could meet up. However, we are on the cruise right after yours. You get off as we get on. Feel as if I know you from the CC Renaissance days! Perhaps one day we can meet. Would enjoy doing so! Have a wonderful cruise, which I know you will! :)

Denise

We often use:

http://www.drinkupny.com/

to send gifts to friends who are sailing from the NYC piers.

Sailing from NYC ourselves, I'd do the same in order to avoid lugging heavy, breakables.

international-delivery.jpg

Their selection is large and they do an amazing job of packing and delivering, however, the rules for accepting delivery at the pier are stringent, so the customer must specify that:

The Pier #, Sailing Date, Ship Name, Passenger Name and Stateroom # must be printed on the outside of the package.

Great recommendation! Thanks so much!

Another strong rec for Sherry Lehman.

We have ordered by mail wines as gifts from SL for many years & frequently purchase a bottle or two when visiting NYC. Prices are good, selection impressive and a friendly, knowledgeable staff make SL a pleasant place to buy wine. Good location as you will be midtown.