Driving to Galveston from the East & Ferry

NightOne

For people coming into Galveston from the East:

The Galveston<>Bolivar is mentioned here but not as frequently as I would think it would be. This gives me pause like there is something that is a problem with that route. Also, by default Google Maps does not choose this route and wants to send you towards Houston and down I-45.

Are there issues taking the route with the ferry? (Winnie, TX, Hwy 124, Hwy 87)

Thoughts?

That is a great, scenic route and always travel this way when going east from the Island.

Traffic does back up in summer on both sides of the ferry and weekends can sometimes also have long waits.

During a storm, 87 can flood due to low spots.

Regardless, always enjoy stopping at Stingeree for fresh seafood.

That is a great, scenic route and always travel this way when going east from the Island.

Traffic does back up in summer on both sides of the ferry and weekends can sometimes also have long waits.

During a storm, 87 can flood due to low spots.

Regardless, always enjoy stopping at Stingeree for fresh seafood.

Define long wait please. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if you still need this information or not, but we took the ferry after our cruise out of Galveston and it was a nice little drive along the coast back up to I-10, over to Louisiana and up to Arkansas. No traffic to speak of out on the peninsula, but it was a Sunday morning. Our trip was in mid-March (spring break for most of the Arkansas schools). I think traffic and/or long wait times will depend on what is going with the ferry - whether it's in the loading process from your side or if waiting for the ferry to arrive from the other side, and maybe even time of day. We were leaving the port by 9:00 am I believe. The ferry was unloading as we arrived, there were quite a few vehicles already in front of us, but we didn't have to wait more than 5-10 minutes I would guess. The loading and parking process went fairly quickly. I'm sure at other times the lines can get backed up and it would take longer, but we have not experienced that.

Don't know if you still need this information or not, but we took the ferry after our cruise out of Galveston and it was a nice little drive along the coast back up to I-10, over to Louisiana and up to Arkansas. No traffic to speak of out on the peninsula, but it was a Sunday morning. Our trip was in mid-March (spring break for most of the Arkansas schools). I think traffic and/or long wait times will depend on what is going with the ferry - whether it's in the loading process from your side or if waiting for the ferry to arrive from the other side, and maybe even time of day. We were leaving the port by 9:00 am I believe. The ferry was unloading as we arrived, there were quite a few vehicles already in front of us, but we didn't have to wait more than 5-10 minutes I would guess. The loading and parking process went fairly quickly. I'm sure at other times the lines can get backed up and it would take longer, but we have not experienced that.

Yes, thanks for the info. We are going in April 2017. I've taken the I-55 to I-12 (and I-10) route but the farthest I have ever went was Sulphur, LA (Lake Charles area).

It is odd that even Google maps sends you North of that and down 45 which is why I asked about this route. :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hwy 124/87 @ Winnie down the peninsula to the ferry is a 2 lane highway but I thought it was in pretty decent shape and would take it again. It seems like everyone from Arkansas thinks the only route to Galveston is to go to Texarkana and down Hwy 59 to I-69 and through Houston but I do not like that route at all. This last time, leaving Galveston, we took the ferry, across the peninsula, onto I-10, then East of Lake Charles we took Hwy 165 north to Alexandria and continued north to Ruston, LA, El Dorado, AR and then home to Camden. It is 4 lane all the way and a much less stressful route (in my opinion).

When we go to Galveston next May, either coming or going, I'm going to try taking Hwy 146 south (off of I-10 just east of Houston), which runs into I-45 South of Houston and not too far north of Galveston. It's a 4 lane (some places more according to Google maps) that goes through suburban, residential and industrial areas. We have not gone that way before, but anything that avoids Houston is worth it to me even if it takes a little more time !! :eek:

Hwy 124/87 @ Winnie down the peninsula to the ferry is a 2 lane highway but I thought it was in pretty decent shape and would take it again. It seems like everyone from Arkansas thinks the only route to Galveston is to go to Texarkana and down Hwy 59 to I-69 and through Houston but I do not like that route at all. This last time, leaving Galveston, we took the ferry, across the peninsula, onto I-10, then East of Lake Charles we took Hwy 165 north to Alexandria and continued north to Ruston, LA, El Dorado, AR and then home to Camden. It is 4 lane all the way and a much less stressful route (in my opinion).

When we go to Galveston next May, either coming or going, I'm going to try taking Hwy 146 south (off of I-10 just east of Houston), which runs into I-45 South of Houston and not too far north of Galveston. It's a 4 lane (some places more according to Google maps) that goes through suburban, residential and industrial areas. We have not gone that way before, but anything that avoids Houston is worth it to me even if it takes a little more time !! :eek:

I was looking at your 1st route and see that when 165 ends you have to take 49/167 for awhile and then stay on 167 until Little Rock. Is 167 4 lanes as well?

Thinking out loud I am wondering if us taking that way until we get to I-20 (and then over to Jackson, MS) buys us anything vs. the I-10 route?

Regarding your second route through Bay Town area: are you going the Northern route around to avoid the ferry way? or basically: why that route? :)

We normally take Hwy. 146. I am old and do not have the nerves to handle driving through Houston any more. We enjoy it because it is much less stressful. In April we may take the ferry route.

We are hoping we will be living in Camden by then.

I was looking at your 1st route and see that when 165 ends you have to take 49/167 for awhile and then stay on 167 until Little Rock. Is 167 4 lanes as well?

Thinking out loud I am wondering if us taking that way until we get to I-20 (and then over to Jackson, MS) buys us anything vs. the I-10 route?

Regarding your second route through Bay Town area: are you going the Northern route around to avoid the ferry way? or basically: why that route? :)

Yes, all 4 lane from Little Rock south, all the way to Alexandria, LA, with the exception of one 5-6 mile stretch still under construction between Sheridan and Fordyce that goes down to 2 lane, but hopefully that will be completed before much longer, surely by next spring.

I'm not sure about I-20 vs. I-10. Probably some time difference but probably also depends on how you drive (strictly adhere to speed limits or go with the flow ;) ).

I'm considering the route through Bay Town strictly to avoid the interstates in and around Houston. That's just one place that I hate driving thru with a passion. :eek: I liked the ferry route and would go that way again. I generally like interstate driving for the consistant speed factor but I also don't mind trying different routes to see which works best or to just see something different.

We normally take Hwy. 146. I am old and do not have the nerves to handle driving through Houston any more. We enjoy it because it is much less stressful. In April we may take the ferry route.

We are hoping we will be living in Camden by then.

Hey neighbor !! So Hwy 146 is a good alternative?

Probably some time difference but probably also depends on how you drive (strictly adhere to speed limits or go with the flow ;) ).

On the interstates I generally set the cruise control at about 7-8 mph over the posted speed limit. This tends to be pretty good on North/South interstates but not so much on East/West interstates.

Your mention of this also made me think about speed enforcement on the highways vs. the interstates. Some of those small town areas can be speed traps. :(

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How do we find this route, exactly? I just tried mapquest.com with no luck. We are driving from Conway to Galveston port next month.

You folks are making a lot of sense. DH and I can do this without GPS if we have specific instructions, lol.

How do we find this route, exactly? I just tried mapquest.com with no luck. We are driving from Conway to Galveston port next month.

You folks are making a lot of sense. DH and I can do this without GPS if we have specific instructions, lol.

I have good luck with Google Maps. Not sure which route you were referring to, but here's the one I was talking about:

From Conway:

Take I-40 East to Little Rock, then I-530 South toward Pine Bluff - take Exit 10 toward Sheridan which is Hwy 167 South, and will be 4 lane all the way (except a 5-6 mile stretch still under construction at the current time). At Fordyce, turn right onto US Hwy 167/79 South. Not far after passing through Fordyce the highway will split and you can (*) veer to the left toward El Dorado and stay on Hwy 167 South (2 lane most of the way and currently under construction, but the most direct route and will pick back up with the the 4-lanes at El Dorado). Or (*) veer to the right toward Camden on Hwy 79 South - at Camden, take Hwy 7 South toward Smackover/El Dorado which will continue to be 4 lane. Either way you get to El Dorado, you will continue on US Hwy 167 South (all 4 lane) all the way down to Alexandria, Louisiana. At Alexandria, take I-49 South and take either Exit 73-Woodworth-LA 3265 or Exit 66-Lecompte/Forrest Hill-LA 112 - either one will take you west over to US Hwy 165 South (still 4 lane) all the way down to I-10 West. Stay on I-10 West through Beaumont, Texas toward Houston, and then at Winnie take Exit 829, Hwy 124 South toward Winnie/Galveston. At the Gulf, it turns into Hwy 87 west across the Bolivar Peninsula which ends at the ferry that you will take over to Galveston Island.

OR, to avoid the ferry, stay on I-10 and closer to Houston, take Exit 798 and head south toward Baytown - 4 lane which will not take you into the Houston traffic and comes out onto I-45 South of Houston and just north of Galveston.

I guess that's all clear as mud !!! ;)

IMO Hwy 124 to 87 is still the best route - zero traffic and a nice drive.

Anytime driving through a City with 6 million + there will be traffic.

Lots of trucks on the I10 corridor.

Hwy 146 has trucks, traffic and too many lights.

I was wondering if there were lots of stops due to traffic lights on Hwy 146. I enjoyed driving 124/87 before - different views for us land-locked folks and no traffic at all when we were there in mid-March. I would guess the summer months have more traffic with the beaches and tourists though.

I was wondering if there were lots of stops due to traffic lights on Hwy 146. I enjoyed driving 124/87 before - different views for us land-locked folks and no traffic at all when we were there in mid-March. I would guess the summer months have more traffic with the beaches and tourists though.

There are traffic lights but they don't really bother us and I don't have any idea how many there are.

Whichever route you decide to use, I hope you will have a very safe trip and a wonderful cruise.

Yes, all 4 lane from Little Rock south, all the way to Alexandria, LA, with the exception of one 5-6 mile stretch still under construction between Sheridan and Fordyce that goes down to 2 lane, but hopefully that will be completed before much longer, surely by next spring.

UPDATE ... that section has now been completed !! Not sure if it is officially open, but a dedication ceremony is set for next Friday, October 7, so it will be then for sure. :)

Thanks so much! We are going to use this.

Much obliged.

I have good luck with Google Maps. Not sure which route you were referring to, but here's the one I was talking about:

From Conway:

Take I-40 East to Little Rock, then I-530 South toward Pine Bluff - take Exit 10 toward Sheridan which is Hwy 167 South, and will be 4 lane all the way (except a 5-6 mile stretch still under construction at the current time). At Fordyce, turn right onto US Hwy 167/79 South. Not far after passing through Fordyce the highway will split and you can (*) veer to the left toward El Dorado and stay on Hwy 167 South (2 lane most of the way and currently under construction, but the most direct route and will pick back up with the the 4-lanes at El Dorado). Or (*) veer to the right toward Camden on Hwy 79 South - at Camden, take Hwy 7 South toward Smackover/El Dorado which will continue to be 4 lane. Either way you get to El Dorado, you will continue on US Hwy 167 South (all 4 lane) all the way down to Alexandria, Louisiana. At Alexandria, take I-49 South and take either Exit 73-Woodworth-LA 3265 or Exit 66-Lecompte/Forrest Hill-LA 112 - either one will take you west over to US Hwy 165 South (still 4 lane) all the way down to I-10 West. Stay on I-10 West through Beaumont, Texas toward Houston, and then at Winnie take Exit 829, Hwy 124 South toward Winnie/Galveston. At the Gulf, it turns into Hwy 87 west across the Bolivar Peninsula which ends at the ferry that you will take over to Galveston Island.

OR, to avoid the ferry, stay on I-10 and closer to Houston, take Exit 798 and head south toward Baytown - 4 lane which will not take you into the Houston traffic and comes out onto I-45 South of Houston and just north of Galveston.

I guess that's all clear as mud !!! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

We are driving down to Galveston from Ontario Canada in February 2018. I thought I had our route planned out driving down through Houston. But after reading this thread i am starting to wonder if the ferry idea would be good for us, or even taking 146 to by-pass Houston.

Thanks CruzieSue, we will have to try that route. I've looked at the ferry, but worried about timing coming in the morning of the cruise... reading this was a DUH! moment for me... take it on the way back :)