Corkscrew in Carryon

Port of Tampa

OP already specified they were driving, not flying, so TSA won't be an issue. We put our corkscrew (it has a seal knife) in a little travel pouch we have that holds nail clippers, tweezers, etc. Then put that in our carry-on. No problems. Don't forget it cause they charge a $15 corkage fee to open it in the MDR, steakhouse, or bar.

I saw that. However, the thread drifted beyond that with a post that sited tsa regs and a post about screw tops. Since those flew right by without your point of order statement, I thought mine was pertinent enough. Regardless of drift or mode of transportation, the item I linked to is superior and allows flexibility. No worries about future limitations.

Packing now and forgot if you can pack a corkscrew in your carry-on. It does have a small seal knife. Any advice would help I know the wife would like to open the wine ASAP.

Cheers and thanks.

🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷

We just ask the room steward to open the wine bottle for us.

Never had an issue with wine opener with a small blade at ship check in or with TSA.

Recently I bought a large flat metal bottle opener at a Key West port stop, as I am always forgetting to pack on.

Ever since, I have been pulled aside for my carry on. After four times of extra checking I finally asked.

It seems between the corkscrew, bottle opener and nail clippers all being grouped together it raises red flags. So now I have separated them to different parts of my ditty bag and we will see how that works in two weeks.

Why bother with a corkscrew. Just use this method:

I actually have experience at this. It works very well. Use a shoe. I saw a friend try to do it with a towel one time, not successful.

FYI, Carnival will let you carry a pocket knife on board provided the blade is less than 4 inches in length. So the foil knife is definitely not a problem.

It seems between the corkscrew, bottle opener and nail clippers all being grouped together it raises red flags. So now I have separated them to different parts of my ditty bag and we will see how that works in two weeks.

We have a small, flat grooming tool travel case. Two sets of nail clippers (small fingernail & large toenail), tweezers, a nail file, cuticle nippers (I had to look that one up), and a cuticle pusher (basically a sharp pointy piece of metal. I slipped our corkscrew (with foil knife) into this case so we'd know where it was. Put it in a carry-on and didn't have a problem in Port Everglades. I guess they didn't think I looked like someone who'd make a shank out of all that stuff.

I just happened to follow your post, I wasn't directing it at you, specifically. :cool: Since multiple people brought it up, I was just pointing out that the OP wouldn't need to worry about TSA regulations.

Understood. Either way, I still believe it is wise to purchase one without a blade. There is no purpose for a blade when opening a wine bottle if you have the bladeless foil cutting corkscrew. It is best to buy this item and have it available if and when you do fly. No need to have 2 corkscrews when this one serves every purpose. I was being proactive.