How to get from cruise ship terminal to airport?

sdianem

Lots of info on airport to ship but can find nothing on reverse. As we have a 7 PM flight and Hurtigruten told my TA that it would dock at 3 PM or so, I am anxious to know what to expect prior. Tried private transfer companies and can find none. Is there a taxi stand by cruise terminal? Would ship provide any assistance to passengers? Do we need to contact the Bergen Taxi Company ourselves?

Thanks for any help!

The ship provides a shuttle bus to the airport. It will be announced on the day prior to arrival (there is a meeting for all the disembarking procedures in Bergen - I assume you are talking about Bergen?). I

The shuttle bus only leaves when all the passengers and their luggage are on board. Luggage pick-up in Bergen is similar to that of an airport, with luggage delivered on a conveyor belt, so if the last luggage is meant to go in the shuttle bus, it can be a while before it leaves. For a 7pm flight you should be OK (just) but if you are nervous about this you can ask the tour guide (or reception) on board to book a taxi for you. Everything can be handled from the ship and there is no need to book in advance of the trip.

The shuttle bus option sounds a little tight on time.

You will have to wait for your luggage and you will be leaving Bergen in late afternoon when traffic is less than easy. In addition, you will need to check in a couple of hours before you flight leaves and our experience of Bergen Airport is that it's not the fastest to get through security.

Docking at 3pm (hope it's not late!), for a flight that leaves at 7pm, leaves just four hours for all of the above. A taxi from the terminal will be more expensive but how much do you value your nerves and making the flight with them intact?

The vouchers for transfers through Hurtigruten are $32.00 per person. We had a problem with our vouchers and had to take a taxi instead. There was four of us plus luggage so we ordered a van. The total cost was 395 NOK or $48.34. It was cheaper and faster in the long run.

Lots of info on airport to ship but can find nothing on reverse. As we have a 7 PM flight and Hurtigruten told my TA that it would dock at 3 PM or so, I am anxious to know what to expect prior. Tried private transfer companies and can find none. Is there a taxi stand by cruise terminal? Would ship provide any assistance to passengers? Do we need to contact the Bergen Taxi Company ourselves?

Thanks for any help!

Have used Hurtigruten shuttle bus succesfully in order to get flights departing from 1625-1725 at least 4 times - you should have no problems. It is worth being aware that Hurtigruten themselves book passengers for flights from Bergen (as part of guaranteed packages) who are booked on shuttle bus so have self-interest in ensuring passengers can connect with flights. They definitely book passengers onto KLM flights departing 1730 (previously earlier) so this should give some confidence.

Only time I took a cab we met friends who'd taken shuttle bus in departures lounge when we arrived!

Hope this eases concerns

The vouchers for transfers through Hurtigruten are $32.00 per person. We had a problem with our vouchers and had to take a taxi instead. There was four of us plus luggage so we ordered a van. The total cost was 395 NOK or $48.34. It was cheaper and faster in the long run.

Hurtigruten's transfers, air or land, are rarely competitive on price. Their only advantage is that if things go wrong then it's Hurtigruten who have to find a solution.

Thanks for any help!

Hi again, Thought I'd share current prices I've recently researched (as travelling in November) and an actual flight comparison.

Also forgot to say previously that scheduled arrival time of ship is 1430 not 1500. On previous trips airport bus has usually left before 1455.

If you want to take a cab from Hurtigruten Terminal you will need to pre-book - there are not a line waiting as at airports/stations. Ship's reception should be able to book one for you (did for me once).

Fixed price fares are: Bergen Taxi c.NOK430; Norgestaxi NOK 475/400 depending on day/time); Taxi1 (not current) NOK395. All these have websites.

Hurtigruten Transfer £20/€26 booked in advance. Last local price I can find is NOK170 but suspect higher now. During winter season Hurtigruten state they must be pre-booked as they won't run if no bookings. Think this is very unlikely in reality (for transfer to airport from ship) as many passengers will be going direct to airport.

I also find Hurtigruten booked flights generally more expensive than booking direct but have booked a specific KLM Bergen-Heathrow flight through them this year as cheaper than I could book direct.

When are you doing voyage?

Fair Winds & weather,

Richard

We are boarding mid February on 12 day round trip voyage on a (hopefully) newly refurbished ship. This is our third trip to Norway but never in winter and looking forward to seeing Northern Lights, Ice Hotel, dog sledding, etc. Can hardly wait. We will take a taxi and will preorder from reception/tour guide (whatever they have and whatever they will do for us).

All the previously published info has been very helpful and we thank you all - past and present.