Veendam Canada/New England

drneal

We are planning to take our family on this trip July1 2017. Our grandkids will be 7, 9, and 11. I am a little concerned about this trip being interesting to them. We took them to Alaska three years ago and they still talk about the whales, the lumberjack show, etc. However, this one doesn't seem to have much for kids. I know, we could have planned a different destination but it is for our 50th (hopefully) anniversary. The GK's spring vacation does not coincide with our DD's spring vacation. So that option was out. Not wanting to do Alaska again, this cruise seemed our only choice.

Three years ago they loved being in the kid's club. This time the youngest will not be able to be with his siblings. One of your GK was 10, the other 14. Did the 10 year old find activities to do to make it a memorable, happy cruise?

Thanks.

Edited by calteacher

We'll be doing this cruise in October, but we'll continue on to the Panama Canal.

I so enjoyed reading your posts and seeing the pictures, I'm now starting to get even more excited. I do have one question though, at Happy Hour can you buy a coke and get another one for $1.00, or is it just alcohol?

We are planning to take our family on this trip July1 2017. Our grandkids will be 7, 9, and 11. I am a little concerned about this trip being interesting to them. We took them to Alaska three years ago and they still talk about the whales, the lumberjack show, etc. However, this one doesn't seem to have much for kids. I know, we could have planned a different destination but it is for our 50th (hopefully) anniversary. The GK's spring vacation does not coincide with our DD's spring vacation. So that option was out. Not wanting to do Alaska again, this cruise seemed our only choice.

Three years ago they loved being in the kid's club. This time the youngest will not be able to be with his siblings. One of your GK was 10, the other 14. Did the 10 year old find activities to do to make it a memorable, happy cruise?

Thanks.

My 10 YO will never go to a kids club unless she can sign herself out.

HAL kids doesn't let them sign themselves out until they are 13.

She is very interested in anything she goes to.

The 14 YO will go to some activities. He is a teen-ager and looks bored but says that he is having fun.

They always remember the trips we take.

They can use the X-box lounge anytime the kids club is open without having to sign into the kids club.

On this cruise we were in port all but 1 day from 9 until 4.

They would play bingo and go to the shows. There were always some kids by the pool/hot tubs and in July there will be many more kids.

They have a small tennis court, basketball court, running track and ping pong.

You can find excursions that will be kid friendly, but usually 9 & 11 yo do well with anything.

They liked the Lobster tour in PEI. In Boston the got to drive the Duck in the water on the Duck tour.

The kids never got bored. They have a movie theater, large library with games and puzzles.

They were happy to hang out with the family.

I did see the kids club kids going on scavenger hunts and they would be in a large group at the 10:30 PM desert buffet.

Kid or not who wouldn't have a good time on a cruise?!

We'll be doing this cruise in October, but we'll continue on to the Panama Canal.

I so enjoyed reading your posts and seeing the pictures, I'm now starting to get even more excited. I do have one question though, at Happy Hour can you buy a coke and get another one for $1.00, or is it just alcohol?

Yes. Coke for $2.95 and second for $1.

Any drink but not the bottles of wine.

The kids would get smoothies.

You can take the unopened cans of soda or beer back to your cabin.