Departing from Southampton

icecake

We are sailing on the Queen Mary2 from Southampton. I am not to good on my pins. How far is it from the nearest car drop-off point to the booking in point? I am being taken aboard by wheel chair assistance. Is this assistance point easily found?

No worries. :)

QM2 normally sails from QE11 terminal - deep in the docks & not sensibly walkable for anyone, but the drop point is inside the terminal building - even coaches go in there for the baggage drop.

Might sail from Ocean terminal, much newer building with a canopied drop-point outside the terminal door, no more than a couple of dozen yards from the check-in desks.

All Southampton's terminals have reasonably shallow ramps up to ships' entrance decks. I don't know about lifts (elevators).

Can't help re assistance point, but there'll be plenty of staff to direct you.

JB :)

There are lifts (elevators) in all the terminals but often they are slightly hidden both departing and arriving.

As soon as you get to the terminal porters will take your cases and the CPS (Cruise Parking Service) guys will take your car if you have booked this parking service. There is normally a "Yellow Jacket" with a wheel chair waiting in this area, if not ask porters where the wheelchair assistance guy is. One will arrive soon. Once in a chair you will be pushed through check in and onto ship.

Disembarkation is from the ships on board "Assistance Disembarkation Lounge" the location of which will be advised onboard nearer the disembarkation time. The "Yellow Jacket" people come and collect passengers from this point on the ship and push you ashore. If you are cruising back to Southampton, they take you down to the luggage hall using the lift. Note these are guarded by shore staff so only people needing lifts get in them. When you see a queue of people with sack barrows, collar one by asking him/her if they are free. They will follow you to baggage reclaim, load your cases onto their barrow and all of you get taken to where you need to go; taxi rank, CPS kiosk etc.

Not sure about disembarking at other ports with wheel chairs.

Regards John

Edited by john watson