8/25/16 Anthem review

Cruzkid1

I read lots of reviews of the Anthem before sailing, and decided to keep my expectations low and go with the flow! I've cruised many times in the past, and have sailed with RCCL frequently. No cruise is perfect, there is good and bad with every cruise, and of course it's subjective to the individual cruiser. Here goes:

Embarkation/Disembarkation went smoothly with no issues.

The stateroom was one of the nicest and newest I've ever had! It was roomy and the design was very functional. There was plenty of storage. I agree with others that the bed could have been softer, as my hip bones hurt by the last day.

The staff was wonderful! I read some reviews that stated the staff weren't friendly, didn't smile, etc, but I never saw that. Every staff member I came in contact with was kind, helpful, friendly, etc. I did notice some understaffing issues in the American Icon one night, and the staff still tried to keep a brave face.

The ports were terrific! Portland and Bar Harbor Maine were my favorites. Acadia National Park is stunning, and a must-see. There's always plenty to do in Boston. The two stops in Canada (St John, New Brunswick and Halifax, Nova Scotia) are what you make of it. We did a small bus tour, segway'd, walked the pier, shopped, etc.

The Solarium indoor pool area is really nice. Loved the hot tubs and pool area, and the views of the water from the atrium type windows are lovely. I didn't experience the other outdoor pools.

We rode the bumper cars, roller skated, took two North Star rides, and "flew" iFly! All activities were a lot of fun, and well run.

The entertainment was good for the most part. Again, it's subjective, as there were shows my husband liked that I didn't, and vice versa. We both didn't care for "The Gift," but there were a few people that gave it a standing ovation. I liked "Spectra's Cabaret," but my husband didn't. He liked, "We Will Rock you," and I just thought it was fair.

There were two comedians, a singer/entertainer, a magician, Bon Jovi band, etc. They were all good and enjoyable. There are plenty of bars (Schooner, Bolero) that had live music, a piano player singer, a band, so there really was something for everybody in terms of music and dancing.

Food: For me it was only average. The Windjammer did seem to have the same food everyday. I never had a problem finding a table, as I'd go straight to the back of the ship, either indoors or outdoors. Chic, Grande, American Icon, and Silk all had average food, but it would vary. Sometimes the food was overcooked, or lukewarm, and other times it was better. It wasn't consistent. Have to agree with others that Jamie's was over-rated. Izumi and Wonderland had better food than the complementary imo.

My only real negative issue, and it's no fault of RCCL, but I found some of the passengers to be the most unpleasant I had ever encountered on a cruise ship. I don't know if it was because there were a lot more passengers (4800?), or because of where the passengers were from, or what?! There were the usual pool chair hogs, and the parents that would let their screaming kids cry and misbehave during the shows and in restaurants. (gee, how about taking them out of the show as a teaching moment? The show was scary too, so it wasn't exactly good for their kids to begin with!) I saw a big, biker type man verbally assault a woman over a tender issue. It made me so sad, as no other male passenger told the man to back off, and the woman was trying to be nice about the situation. Ugh!

As good a time as we had on the Anthem, I would not book another cruise on a ship that requires reservations for meals, shows and entertainment. I'm on vacation, so I prefer to just walk in a restaurant or show and not have to have a set time. I realize there are others that prefer to have a set schedule, or pre-plan, but it isn't for me. Granted, I was able to go to a restaurant with 9pm reservations at 5:30p and have dinner. Again, I prefer no reservations.

Thanks for the review. With all the mixed reviews we are going in with the same attitude. We at least have the dynamic dining classic so I don't need to worry about the dinner reservations, but I agree I dislike the worrying about booking shows

Also agree with you on Acadia - it's gorgeous

Edited by hansolosmom

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on the Anthem. I have to agree with you on the point of pax in the Northeast. Very sad. The children situation? We always cruise September/October to avoid the tons of kids on a ship. I am glad you enjoyed your cruise !!! :)

I thought I would share my review from our cruise in early August. We absolutely loved Lady A and can't wait to board her again in April.

REVIEW: Anthem of the Seas 7/28 9 Night Bermuda and Caribbean (7600+ words)

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fboards%2Ecruisecritic%2Ecom%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D2388703&share_tid=2388703&share_fid=24703&share_type=t

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cruz, I totally agree with your assessment on the cruise. I didn't like the show The Gift. I did like Spectre and so-so on We will rock you. They have to get more contemporary shows so RCL will get a younger crowd of passengers. Our inside cabin had a virtual balcony which was awesome. Also I agree that the food was average and the buffet was below average. the staff was very good.