Queen Victoria Med sailings

Me 2

We have a single booking to sail from 29 October through to 15 November 2016 which combines a 7 night itinerary from Barcelona to Rome and an ongoing 10 night repositioning itinerary including Gibraltar as a port of call en-route to Southampton. Can anyone clarify if Spanish VAT will be charged on onboard purchases (bars and shops etc) and if duty free goods will be offered for sale?

Have recently had similar questions about the Spanish and Italian IVA tax.

From what I have understood so far if your cruise starts from a Spanish port and does not leave the EU then the tax is applied to shops and services and spa (but not treatments) A 10% tax will also be applied to bar beverages whilst in Spanish waters.

The Italian IVA is similar but they do not include the 10% bar tax. Our debate is to whether Croatia is now considered part of the EU and as such for us the Italian tax in the shops will apply to our whole cruise as we would then not leave the EU and there is also no duty free available for purchase if this is the case.

The daily news letter should inform you if any extra tax will be applied and it should be billed separately.

Have just found the following on Cunard website which defines the IVA tax legislation when travelling within the EU

https://ask.cunard.com/help/on-shore/iva_tax

According to the list of 'Applicable Cruises' Spanish IVA (Bar only) will be charged on our voyage V617D during the times when we are entering, alongside and exiting Spanish ports.

Thanks for the responses to my post ;)

We are also on the same cruise, 29 October, and were on a cruise in June Barcelona plus various ports and were charged the spanish Vat taxes.

I am asking if anyone is interested to share an 8 seater taxi to return to Heathrow airport T5 from Southampton. We have an approx price of £125.

Have just found the following on Cunard website which defines the IVA tax legislation when travelling within the EU

https://ask.cunard.com/help/on-shore/iva_tax

According to the list of 'Applicable Cruises' Spanish IVA (Bar only) will be charged on our voyage V617D during the times when we are entering, alongside and exiting Spanish ports.

Thanks for the responses to my post ;)

I don't want to start a debate or seem too political, but have we just identifed an advantage of Brexit to counter-act (some of) the disadvantage of the falling £?!

Hi Seapals

The cruise does not have to start in Spain for Spanish tax to be applied.

Stewart

You're right ..but if it does .. then the tax applies for the whole of the cruise unless the ship leaves the EU. So a cruise starting in Barcelona will have IVA (21 or 22%) applied to shops and spa sales (not treatments) for the duration. The 10% extra bar tax is just whilst in Spanish waters.

Same applies to Italian tax .. our cruise starts in Venice and does not leave EU.

Suddenly the prices of items in the shops will appear very expensive with a 22% additional tax. Our onboard credit is suddenly not looking quite so good.

Of course these countries are clever and do not include taxation on excursions. Otherwise we would all stay on board.:D

• 3 weeks later...

We too are on the 29:10 cruise so when the ship leaves Barcelona does the tax drop ! And how do we now when it is cheaper to buy a drink 20% seems a lot think the balcony and the gin we usually manage to bring on board will be very useful !! Ha not really a cheap skate but do get annoyed when the [emoji636] doesn't apply such rules to Spanish travellers in our waters [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums