Sushi on QM2

annmarz

I am eagerly anticipating the food, and everything else, on our first Cunard crossing next month. I read that sushi is served in Kings Court. Is this real raw fish? The sushi I have experienced on other lines has been vegetarian rolls and cooked shrimp and eel, or imitation crab and smoked salmon. I am sure it will be tasty no matter what, but I was curious if they have raw fish.

Also, does the Kings Court lunch buffet vary from day to day. Do they have themes - such as Italian, Mexican etc.?

I am eagerly anticipating the food, and everything else, on our first Cunard crossing next month. I read that sushi is served in Kings Court. Is this real raw fish? The sushi I have experienced on other lines has been vegetarian rolls and cooked shrimp and eel, or imitation crab and smoked salmon. I am sure it will be tasty no matter what, but I was curious if they have raw fish.

Also, does the Kings Court lunch buffet vary from day to day. Do they have themes - such as Italian, Mexican etc.?

Well, yes there is sushi, and there is a little raw fish. It's OK, I enjoyed it a bit. But note that it's not at the same category of a great Japanese restaurant in a big city. It's just OK.

And no, as far as I could tell, Kings Court did not vary its menu much from day-to-day at lunch time. They do have more changeable variety at dinner time, but for lunch, it's pretty much the same every day.

Note that I am not a big fan of Kings Court. IMHO, the re-imagining redesign was a big success. It's a lovely space that works so much better than the horrible problematic space of the past. But IMHO the food quality has not improved much at all. It's still a mass-market cruise ship buffet, for better or for worse. I highly recommend the Britannia for lunch instead of Kings Court, or if you like pub food, try that.

... I highly recommend the Britannia for lunch instead of Kings Court, or if you like pub food, try that.
Hi tv24,

I agree totally.

I use the Britannia (or the Golden Lion after a trivia quiz) for lunch whenever possible (exceptions being occasionally on cruises with shore excursions).

The calm, civilised atmosphere and great food served is such a huge contrast to the noise and occasional chaos of the Kings Court buffet.

Furthermore, I didn't pay all that money... to serve food myself. I can go to a motorway service station, department store cafe or pub buffet to do that on land anyday I wish.

Surely, part of the attraction of being on board a great ship at sea is to do something different than an everyday experience? ie: be served a great lunch in the elegant surroundings of the main dining room.

(I chatted to friends who returned from a recent QE cruise (first time). They only thing they didn't like was "using the Lido for breakfast and lunch each day, like a school canteen atmosphere". I said "why didn't you go to the Britannia Restaurant?" "Didn't think of it, everyone seemed to head for the Lido, so we went as well... " :( )

Happy sailings tv24 :)

Edited by pepperrn

Just know that like most sushi served in the US, this is not really "fresh" raw fish, it has been frozen. Most US state health laws, as well as USPH's VSP and the EU's ShipSan programs require that fish to be served raw must be frozen to kill the possible parasites in the flesh.

Just know that like most sushi served in the US, this is not really "fresh" raw fish, it has been frozen. Most US state health laws, as well as USPH's VSP and the EU's ShipSan programs require that fish to be served raw must be frozen to kill the possible parasites in the flesh.

Even in Japan a lot of Sushi has been frozen and then thawed. You are correct on USDA regulations but you can serve Tuna that was not previously frozen.

I don't know but would given logistics and the centralized provisioning of cruise ships I assume that at sea all sushi is frozen regardless of the price level of the line or restaurant.

No I am not in the fish/restaurant business but love sushi and travel to Japan frequently.

Hi tv24,

I agree totally.

I use the Britannia (or the Golden Lion after a trivia quiz) for lunch whenever possible (exceptions being occasionally on cruises with shore excursions).

The calm, civilised atmosphere and great food served is such a huge contrast to the noise and occasional chaos of the Kings Court buffet.

Furthermore, I didn't pay all that money... to serve food myself. I can go to a motorway service station, department store cafe or pub buffet to do that on land anyday I wish.

Surely, part of the attraction of being on board a great ship at sea is to do something different than an everyday experience? ie: be served a great lunch in the elegant surroundings of the main dining room.

(I chatted to friends who returned from a recent QE cruise (first time). They only thing they didn't like was "using the Lido for breakfast and lunch each day, like a school canteen atmosphere". I said "why didn't you go to the Britannia Restaurant?" "Didn't think of it, everyone seemed to head for the Lido, so we went as well... " :( )

Happy sailings tv24 :)

Well, Pepper, all I can say is that brilliant minds apparently think alike. I don't want to hijack this thread, so I will keep this brief. I am not a big fan of Kings Court, but what I have learned is that on QM2 one has several other terrific dining options, and those make me happy. And now we have the small bites at the new Carpathia Lounge, yet another choice. So for those like me, we can dine Britannia, room service, Golden Lion, Boardwalk Cafe, or Carpathia...am I missing somewhere else?