Pillow question

Camgirl

I'm not sure if I might have asked a similar question some years ago, my tablet is refusing to let me search today. My apologies if I did.

I have a lot of problems with the pillows on board. They used to be ok but since they changed them a few years back I have struggled. They are far too soft for me. We are in Britannia rooms. In the past I have asked for a firmer pillow from the steward. On our last few cruises we have then been supplied with something which resembles a large boulder in a pillow case!! At this point I usually feel too embarrassed to complain that it is now too hard and I struggle on with the originals and shove the boulder under the bed. For some reason I just can't seem to cope with two pillows on top of each other either.

Having recently had a week in the fjords with a bad night every night (and having received the usual boulder from the steward), I am now thinking I should just take my own pillow from home.

Has anyone ever done this? Is likely to cause a problem for the steward in any way? Or does anyone have any other solutions to the problem? It used to be possible to get a firmer but not ludicrous pillow on board but I haven't managed this for some years.

Thanks for any help with my odd problem.

Not only have I taken my own pillow on to Cunard ships, I have also taken it all over the eastern side of the USA! It is a very well travelled item.

It has seen a lot of Europe also. I don't think I have slept on a hotel/ship pillow for years. I don't fly so it has never been in an aeroplane!

I just used to put it into the wardrobe every morning and get it out again at night.

Edited by CABINET

Hi Stewart,

I assume you mean the oblong pillows rather than the square ones? That could be worth trying. It doesn't make it too solid when you do that does it?

Thanks for the suggestion.

Just to mention that from my limited research, the square pillows are meant to be decorative. Nice to look at, and pleasant enough while propped up reading in bad. But not to sleep on.

Seems to me that asking for extra bed pillows might work, think I'll give that a try too :)

Edited by Salacia

I have this same issue - I simply can't sleep on those fluffy down feather pillows. I usually end up with the housemaid (in a hotel) or whoever bringing about 6 pillows to my door. I can't for the life of me understand why they can't supply a firmer 'normal' pillow instead of feather ones. I'm sure it's not an unusual request.

Just to mention that from my limited research, the square pillows are meant to be decorative. Nice to look at, and pleasant enough while propped up reading in bad. But not to sleep on.

Seems to me that asking for extra bed pillows might work, think I'll give that a try too :)

Hi Salacia,

The square pillows are what we call continental pillows and are widely used to sleep on across Europe. In the UK we use the oblong pillows.

Thanks everyone for your help. It is good to hear I am not the only person who finds the pillows a problem. My pillow has travelled well to hotels but has never been on a ship. Maybe it is time to introduce it to international travel!

Do other people who take their pillows leave them out all the time or hide them away as Cabinet does? I don't want it disappearing!!

Edited by Camgirl

Although not technically available in Britannia cabins, these are the pillows available in the other categories. Perhaps a special request of one of them might be available nonetheless - if asked nicely...

https://ask.cunard.com/help/fleet/pillow_choice

Actually that suits me fine! I don't mind the standard type as mentioned here... it's the feather down pillows I hate. We should be fine :)

I'm afraid that even with the large choice of pillows, I still have to take my own. An osteopath recommended a travel version of my neck support pillow at home. I also leave it out, I'm not worried if the butler knows that I have a bad neck, lol.

Do other people who take their pillows leave them out all the time or hide them away as Cabinet does? I don't want it disappearing!!

Since, typically, my pillow looks like what may be on the bed, I bring a dark brown pillowcase for it so I can leave it out. However, if there already are several pillows on the bed, and not wanting to make extra work for the steward, I will put it away during the day. (I leave an open suitcase under the bed so I can just slide it out like a drawer, drop the pillow in, and slide it back under the bed.)

Cheers!

Edited by AZNative2000

I have a latex pillow which doesn't go all flat in the night. It is just perfect for me. I find both hollow fibre and feathers just sink and are too soft.

I like AZnative2000's plan with a brightly coloured pillow case and an empty case as a drawer to drop it in.

Thank you all for all your help.

Now I just have to get over my fear of leaving it on board!!!

My wife suffers from back problems, and always take a small pillow when we go away to support her back in bed. One morning she forgot to take it out of the bed, and it must have been the day the steward changed the bedclothes. Often wonder what happened to it!

Nooooo!! Don't say that! That is just what I was worried about!

I guess if I take a bright pillow case and then tell the steward I have brought a pillow with me as well, I should be ok? Especially if I remember to put it away during the day as well.

I would have to carry it off on departure too as I would need it after the cases have gone.

I think I will probably have to risk taking it for our next trip (which is 17 nights on board). And whilst on board I will try out Stewart's double stuffed pillow to see if that would work for me on future cruises.

Thanks again for the helpful replies.

Actually I just realised that I lied upthread.

I do put my pillow in the suitcase on the last night and put up with their pillows for that one night - I don't sleep that well though if I remember rightly but it is marginally better than carrying it around with me until disembarkation.

Clearly the answer is to go QG and then we would be off the boat quick smart and I wouldn't have to haul my pillow around for very long :D:D:D:D:D

Edited by CABINET

On cruises out of Southampton we take our own pillows. We inform the cabin steward and remove our own pillow cases. That way they are then treated as the rest of the pillows on the bed and linen changed when they change the others. We just put them back in our own pillow cases to take back home. There seems to be a lot of poor pillows on cruises these days. We have had some that were just not fit to use, (stained and bad odour) and have had them replaced immediately. Now we always check the condition the first day.

Although not technically available in Britannia cabins, these are the pillows available in the other categories. Perhaps a special request of one of them might be available nonetheless - if asked nicely...

https://ask.cunard.com/help/fleet/pillow_choice

Mark: Sorry to post the following: in June we crossed on the QM2 in Princess Grill class. Since Cunard's promo info promised a "pillow menu" for that class, we asked our cabin steward for our pillow choices or our menu. He did not ever really understand what we were asking for, referred us to housekeeping, the housekeeping gal did not seem to understand, and finally neither the Grills Concierge nor the Purser's Desk seemed to understand. They all sent us in circles referring us to the other parties. Finally, after about 5 days, our steward reported that the pillow menu is no longer available. This was not a deal breaker for us since we managed OK with the pillows provided. But we were left wondering if it is really possible to have a pillow choice, Princess class or otherwise. Very weird.

I take my pillow everywhere. I put a pink cover on to distinguish it and just leave on the bed when cruising. The steward makes the bed as usual propping my pillow with the rest. I keep it on the last night and take a handy drawstring bag or rucksack which I stuff it into. Easy as it's a goose down pillow and can roll up quite small.

Hmmm, my pillow is pretty big to carry. I think I will pack it with the rest of my stuff on the last day then try the double stuffed pillow or just put up with a wimpy pillow for the last night. I can always sleep in the car on the drive home!

Now to dig out a bright pillow case to take, mine are mainly white unfortunately. Only four weeks to wait.

I have a pillow that travels with me everywhere. I have a bright blue case on it and normally leave it on the bed. I've never luckily have had problems with it disappearing. Normally the bed is made and my extra pillow is just placed on top which is fine with me. Take it and enjoy!