Formal dress code

dave9898

I know this subject will have been done to death, but as a first timer to P and O (have always travelled Celebrity and Princess), I really would like to know whether my husband would be better off taking his DJ, or just a normal suit, also, would I be better off taking cocktail dresses, or long formal dresses. We are sailing on Ventura from Southampton, so weight is not a problem. Also, how many formal nights on 12 night cruise?

Well to be honest, this will cause debate.

Personally I think formal night means DJ. Sure you see some in suits, and at least that's better than those who seem defiant in wearing the casual dress code on formal nights.

Its only a few nights of the holiday. It's not like they make you wear it every night. :)

(Trying not to sound overly critical).

Well to be honest, this will cause debate.

Personally I think formal night means DJ. Sure you see some in suits, and at least that's better than those who seem defiant in wearing the casual dress code on formal nights.

Its only a few nights of the holiday. It's not like they make you wear it every night. :)

(Trying not to sound overly critical).

From P&O site, the dress code for black tie evenings is

Ladies wear glamorous evening wear including cocktail dresses, ball gowns or even smart trouser suits. For men, dinner jackets or tuxedos are the norm, but a dark lounge or business suit and tie can be worn as an alternative. You can also wear formal national dress and military uniform.

And apologies, but you are sounding too overly critical with your pointed and personal views. JMHO

Edited by peteukmcr

Not quite sure what the OP wants from the question. Is she asking about what other people wear or what can you wear. If the former then she will find that 90%+ of men will be in a DJ and most of the others in a dark suit with a tie. If it is what can you wear then the answer is either. Just seems to me if you are only taking one jacket as you only need one and you have a DJ, it is just as easy to wear that as a dark suit.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hi, not suggesting the op doesn't want to dress up but a lot of people seem to rebel nowadays. Very slovenly in my option, years ago people dressed up for a night down the pub, not anymore, jeans and t shirt. What's it coming to? I'm 60 and just bought my first ever dinner suit, always had hand me downs that itch horribly and didn't fit. Folk should stick to the council ships if they don't want to make an effort. It's what cruising is about, be proud of yourself! Look smart and hold your head up! It's what we British do well. The rules are clear. If I was in charge at the door I wouldn't let scruff in.

Edited by yesididit

Hi, not suggesting the op doesn't want to dress up but a lot of people seem to rebel nowadays. Very slovenly in my option, years ago people dressed up for a night down the pub, not anymore, jeans and t shirt. What's it coming to? I'm 60 and just bought my first ever dinner suit, always had hand me downs that itch horribly and didn't fit. Folk should stick to the council ships if they don't want to make an effort. It's what cruising is about, be proud of yourself! Look smart and hold your head up! It's what we British do well. The rules are clear. If I was in charge at the door I wouldn't let scruff in.

I'm interested, which are the 'council ships'? Respectfully, but unfortunately you're not in charge, and as I reported back in May if you're not wearing a jacket on Black Tie night, as happened on Azura, the door host will most probably hand you a jacket and advise that you just have to carry it, not wear it.

Also I disagree, cruising isn't just about dressing up, it's part of it for me, but not the be all and end all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A dinner jacket or dark business suit will be just fine. I prefer a dark suit because you can wear the trousers without the jacket on other evenings which means more flexibility. On the other hand I took my DJ on the last cruise with 8 formal nights. Just because it was one of those M&S washable ones :eek:

P&O peninsular club magazine had a makeover article on a couples formal wear. They dressed the man in a navy blue suit. The shirt cost over £100 which I though slightly expensive ;)

A dinner jacket or dark business suit will be just fine. I prefer a dark suit because you can wear the trousers without the jacket on other evenings which means more flexibility. On the other hand I took my DJ on the last cruise with 8 formal nights. Just because it was one of those M&S washable ones :eek:

P&O peninsular club magazine had a makeover article on a couples formal wear. They dressed the man in a navy blue suit. The shirt cost over £100 which I though slightly expensive ;)

I would want at least 5 shirts for that price. :).

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Well I don't dress up formally,but consider myself to be dressed smartly.Unlike some formal DJs,which make the wearers look like sacks of potatoes. I am not rebeling,just enjoying my holiday.I do not eat in the formal venues,frequent the select places where I am allowed. IE The Beach House.I totally respect the wishes of people to dress formally,and do not attend theatre or bars on the formal evenings.So,you can respect my wishes too ...

I would have to agree with most of the posts on here that a DJ is what you should be wearing on a formal night. Ladies should wear either short cocktails dresses, smart tux-like trouser suits, or long evening dresses.

There are plenty of cruise lines that do not require any formal wear at all, including some of the five/six star ships, so if people do not wish to wear formal wear on a cruise, choose those ships.

P&O request that the dress code is adhered to in most places on their ships, and they do not have that many formal nights anyway, especially since they have got rid of the semi-formal nights they used to have (which in my humble opinion is a shame) so surely it is not too much to ask from passengers to dress up on the few nights that they do request you do so.

A ship with all passengers dressed in formal wear is a wonderful sight, in our opinion, and is one of the things we enjoy about cruising on P&O. :)

Hi,

I miss the semi-formals as well.(.

Basically if you choose to dress for the formals then as others have said a dj or smart suit and tie for men.

And for women as an example for my next cruise I will wear a mixture of full length dresses, cocktail dresses, a pantsuit, and smart trousers with evening top. So all are fine.

Enjoy your cruise

This will be our 8th cruise,previously sailed with Celebrity and Princess(who cater more for the american market) This time for the first time we are sailing with PandO. My husband does not own a dj and and so will wear dark lounge suite with shirt and tie. As I am under 5 foot I cannot buy a full length evening dress so I wear long chiffon skirt with glittery top or crepe coctail type dresses.

Yes dj's do look great but if you donot have reason to wear one anywhere else dont feel pressured to spend the money. I know people who love cruising but never do formal nights, as someone has said previously they just go to places on the ship that dont insist on formal attire

We are on a 12 night cruise and there are 4 formal nights.

Hi, Buddymum although I have quite a few fall length dresses and maxis I am barely 5.1 . Although I do wear killer heels with the more evening type dresses but lower toe-posts with the maxis. For me it's just a treat to get really dressed up once in a while as I rarely do at home.

Hi, Buddymum although I have quite a few fall length dresses and maxis I am barely 5.1 . Although I do wear killer heels with the more evening type dresses but lower toe-posts with the maxis. For me it's just a treat to get really dressed up once in a while as I rarely do at home.

Killer heels not for me as I have a problem with one of my knees! So highest heel I can wear is 1 to 2". I have tried various outlets but I always end up with enough material on the floor to make me a skirt!!

Killer heels not for me as I have a problem with one of my knees! So highest heel I can wear is 1 to 2". I have tried various outlets but I always end up with enough material on the floor to make me a skirt!!

It's not much better at 5ft 4, I feel as if I'm average height but they make evening dresses for Giants, even with wedges they are too long. In a space saving effort I've put two long dresses back in the cupboard today - two less pairs of wedges.

I'm short too and even brands which have petite ranges (like Coast) are long on me without killer heels but I find Roman Originals are quite a few inches shorter. I wear a combination of full length and cocktail dresses

Edited by tartanexile81

Yes florry you have hit the nail on the head. You are average height but a lot of ladies of your height and even taller have to wear petite because dresses are so ridiculously long. My mothers 5ft7 and she finds a lot of things too long, but my sister who's 5ft10 doesnt have as much trouble finding clothes too fit in length as she used too. Yes tartanexcile81 there are some nice things in Coast petite. Anyway ladies must get on with my packing.

No Tux, but would you complain?

It got nearly 7000 views so might be worth a read:D

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1699783

I wouldn't dare comment as I got a public flogging when I raised this topic earlier this year for a 2 night sailing :D.

However, it's interesting to see the topic still has legs 4 years later!

As an aside, 2 days ago I spoke to a P&O agent re pre registering for another P&O cruise and it was noticed most recently I had sailed on Azura to Bruges on a 2 nighter. I was asked did I enjoy the 'booze cruise' (this was the terminology I was attacked for when I used it here on cc and social media) as these are serious 'hen and stag party cruises'. So contrary to the thoughts and feelings of several posters on cc, there's an example of what the view of these 2 nighters are by P&O staff.

Anyway must dash, I have a day of providing information to travellers whether I can ask an airline to move people so my client can have a specific seat on an aircraft, whether I can call a hotel (which the client is not staying at) to see if they can use the tennis court, or cancel a hotel booking (which is non refundable) because although we sent all details (detailing all hotel facilities) the client must have a full sizes swimming pool on site for an overnight business trip! Really, these people are on business trips, not holidays. You would be amazed at what people demand, but I suppose I'm a rubbish TA if I don't anticipate each and everyone's questions.

Oh and btw I'm a business travel consultant, not leisure travel, so I don't sell cruises, so I don't know the ins and outs of all cruise lines. I sail them, not sell them. :D

I wouldn't dare comment as I got a public flogging when I raised this topic earlier this year for a 2 night sailing :D.

However, it's interesting to see the topic still has legs 4 years later!

As an aside, 2 days ago I spoke to a P&O agent re pre registering for another P&O cruise and it was noticed most recently I had sailed on Azura to Bruges on a 2 nighter. I was asked did I enjoy the 'booze cruise' (this was the terminology I was attacked for when I used it here on cc and social media) as these are serious 'hen and stag party cruises'. So contrary to the thoughts and feelings of several posters on cc, there's an example of what the view of these 2 nighters are by P&O staff.

Anyway must dash, I have a day of providing information to travellers whether I can ask an airline to move people so my client can have a specific seat on an aircraft, whether I can call a hotel (which the client is not staying at) to see if they can use the tennis court, or cancel a hotel booking (which is non refundable) because although we sent all details (detailing all hotel facilities) the client must have a full sizes swimming pool on site for an overnight business trip! Really, these people are on business trips, not holidays. You would be amazed at what people demand, but I suppose I'm a rubbish TA if I don't anticipate each and everyone's questions.

Oh and btw I'm a business travel consultant, not leisure travel, so I don't sell cruises, so I don't know the ins and outs of all cruise lines. I sail them, not sell them. :D

It might be worth noting that since that fateful first experience we've done a P&O 3 dayer (TUX worn!) the itinerary had/has been changed to reflect the Zeebrugge - Blankenburg - Bruge reality (as opposed to just Bruge) and we've booked for a 4 dayer next year.

Slight thread hijack but on the 2 dayer, lots of hen parties, on the 3 dayer a few but didn't seem as many. Is the 4 day stretch an attempt to put them off on the basis that not everyone can easily take days off work?

Yes florry you have hit the nail on the head. You are average height but a lot of ladies of your height and even taller have to wear petite because dresses are so ridiculously long. My mothers 5ft7 and she finds a lot of things too long, but my sister who's 5ft10 doesnt have as much trouble finding clothes too fit in length as she used too. Yes tartanexcile81 there are some nice things in Coast petite. Anyway ladies must get on with my packing.

Redabby can't see you on the roll call and we are arranging to meet up, if you are interested add your name to the list!

Redabby can't see you on the roll call and we are arranging to meet up, if you are interested add your name to the list!

Yes, I echo Florry. If you want to meet up with some of us using Cruise Critic going on the cruise on Sunday share your cabin number so we can arrange. I'll put a post together with all the cabin numbers. Katrina

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk