Lost luggage Titan Airways

Caravan 37

This happened to us on a Cunard package, flying to Calgary, a week on a coach in the Rockies, Air Canada flight to New York, and return to the UK on QM-2. Cunard no longer offers this package.

On arrival in Calgary, BA had lost one of my cases which was the one with clothes for the Rockies. The other case had my Cunard clothes in it and on reflection I wish I had mixed the clothes up in the two cases. By the time we had filled up claim forms, the Cunard coach had left without us. I don't know why, but I'd made a note of the first hotel we were staying at in Calgary. I rang the hotel and tracked down the Cunard rep who was in the restaurant having dinner with the rest of the group. He said that because we hadn't come out of the airport in a reasonable time he had left, thinking we were not on the flight. Before doing so he contacted BA to enquire our whereabouts, but they would not confirm whether we were on the flight. The rep told us to get a cab to the hotel and he would reimburse us the cost, which he did.

BA told me to spend a reasonable amount on clothing for the Rockies without putting a figure on reasonable. The rep spent much time tracking my case with long calls to BA which were paid for by Cunard. The case went all over the USA and Canada and finally arrived in New York the day after we had sailed. I finally received it on my return home.

The Purser on QM-2 told me that most luggage is lost closer to home i.e. on the coaches from Birmingham or wherever to the ship. On arrival in Southampton passengers pour off the coaches in a mad-dash attempt to get to the ship and don't check their luggage off the coach. The driver mistakenly does not empty every cubbyhole and drives off with some of the cases.

As for getting my $200 back from BA, I was aghast when customer services said it would take 6 weeks to process my claim, so I found out the address of the then chief executive of BA, Willy Walsh. I wrote to him in London with the original receipts, a copy of each I had kept. Two days later I got a call from a BA lady in Newcastle saying they had received a call from Willy Walsh's office telling them to pay me immediately. She said she would need the receipts to do this. I said Willy Walsh had them. She said I can't ring him, what was the total amount, I told her and a cheque came through the post two days later.

As we booked 2 wks before sailing all London flights were full - we had to fly from Birmingham - Athens to meet the QV (I should never have booked, with hindsight!)

On arrival in Athens - no bag. Cunard rep spoke not one word of English and it took 20 mins to get someone to attend to us at the lost baggage counter ( whilst the remaining passengers sat and waited on a coach outside - they were happy!)

Pursers desk on ship did make efforts to find my case but no luck - my daughter also tried all week from London. As there is only one flight per week from Birm/Ath this resulted in connecting flights being made and then not met! Disaster!!! Titan have said the situation 'doesn't look good' meaning, I expect, Boone has any idea where the case is!

We were without our formal clothes after a White Star luggage failure rather than an airline. Cunard offered to lend his formal wear until our cases arrived, it was fine for my husband, not so good for me! There were a few of us in the same position and there was nothing available in size by the time I got to choose.