Distance from the pier to main shopping areas

Mitch9447

I'm guessing from everything I have read so far there is a lot to do within walking distance to the port. We will be there in Dec with our 2 kids (8,11) and thought we would wonder through market shops or something similar. Not looking for Diamonds International or other shops you may see at all ports. Is the Old Town shopping area what I'm looking for, and is it within walking distance from the pier? If we want to check out a Fort is one better than the other? Thinking about using the trolley to access those. Thanks for any feedback.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm guessing from everything I have read so far there is a lot to do within walking distance to the port. We will be there in Dec with our 2 kids (8,11) and thought we would wonder through market shops or something similar. Not looking for Diamonds International or other shops you may see at all ports. Is the Old Town shopping area what I'm looking for, and is it within walking distance from the pier? If we want to check out a Fort is one better than the other? Thinking about using the trolley to access those. Thanks for any feedback.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I assume you'll be docking at the Old Town pier for the day...so yes...just walk across the street and you'll be in Old Town..lot's of local shops...there's also a free trolley stop at the pier too...hop off at Del Morro Fort... (even though you didn't ask) My favorite breakfast spot is La Bombonera or Cafe Mallorca and lunch would be the Parrot Club...yummy food and drinks or a famous Pina Colada at Barrachina's...Enjoy Old San Juan ...we did again this past May.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I was there in January and am headed there again in January 2017. We just walked around Old San Juan and visited the numerous locally owned shops. You'll also find the expected standbys like Del Sol, but we did find some there that we didn't find in any other ones. They also have a Coach Factory Outlet which I was happy about since we don't have one in Montana.

We bought our lunch from a food truck. You most likely will need to be able to order in Spanish. I stumbled my way through it, but the locals were supportive.

The architecture, cobblestone streets, and beautiful colors are wonderful to see in OSJ so you should enjoy your day!