Help with Canada/NE Cruise on Sunshine

cidymom

I've always wanted to cruise this itinerary. For Sep/2017, there are two cruises leaving the same day (Carnival Sunshine & NCL Gem) from NYC. Has anyone done the same itinerary on both lines? Just wanted to know if it would be rough sailing from NYC into Canada and while in Canadian ports. Is the weather still decent in early September. My concern is seasickness. Right now for the price, the Sunshine is the better deal. I can get an oceanview for the price of an inside on Gem. I haven't been on either ship so don't know if it makes any difference on this itinerary especially if the weather is colder. Any comments on the itinerary, weather, either ships would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help.

I've always wanted to cruise this itinerary. For Sep/2017, there are two cruises leaving the same day (Carnival Sunshine & NCL Gem) from NYC. Has anyone done the same itinerary on both lines? Just wanted to know if it would be rough sailing from NYC into Canada and while in Canadian ports. Is the weather still decent in early September. My concern is seasickness. Right now for the price, the Sunshine is the better deal. I can get an oceanview for the price of an inside on Gem. I haven't been on either ship so don't know if it makes any difference on this itinerary especially if the weather is colder. Any comments on the itinerary, weather, either ships would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help.

I have been on that exact same cruise twice. Once on the Carnival Victory and once on the Carnival Splendor. Both cruises were in September as well. Perfect time to go there. Wasn't cold at all. Take a jacket though just in case. Only bad day was on the Victory, the last day was a sea day and it was extremely foggy all the way back to NYC. They had to blow the fog horn every 10 in or so. But the weather and the seas were great. Haven't been on the NCL Gem but have been on the Epic. Great ship and great cruise. You will enjoy it. Have a great cruise whichever one you choose.

I'm leaving on the Gem tomorrow for the Canada-New England cruise. I've been on the Sunshine and it is a beautiful ship. The weather outlook for Canada and New England states next week is 70-75 degrees & Sunny, the evenings will be in the 60's. I do love the new menu on Carnival. Both ships are really nice, this will be my 7th time on the Gem. Whichever ship you pick you'll be very happy.

Thanks for your helpful comments. Would love to hear about your Gem cruise to Canada/NE when you come back. Perhaps you can list the differences between the two ships and itinerary. There is a HAL cruise leaving on the same day as well with a jam pack itinerary - more port stops in Canada but my family is more into activities & entertainment (I have an 11 yr) so I don't think HAL would be a good fit for us at this time so narrowed it down to Sunshine or Gem. Thanks again.

Sunshine wasn't my favorite ship. However, she was still pretty amazing. I'd go on her again in a heartbeat if the price and itinerary were right.

You mentioned cruising with kids. While I have not cruised with any kids, I will say that the Waterworks area on Sunshine was pretty awesome. As a big kid myself, I spent some time there. It seemed like all the kids there were having a blast!

At the end of the day, the cruise is what you make it. I don't think the ship can make or break it. Personally, I'd go with the cheaper one and have more money to play with elsewhere.

Whichever you choose, enjoy your cruise! :)

Pack with you Meclizine meds for motion sickness.

I haven't sailed on either ship but we did this itinerary on the Splendor and we had great weather in September. Do be prepared for fog. Don't book a forward cabin or the horn will drive you nuts:)

We had perfectly calm seas and we saw whales!

e2d82355c

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

I did this itinerary twice on Carnival in the third week of September. Once on Glory and once on Splendor. The seas were very smooth and the temps ranged from the low 60's to the mid 70's. It rained in St John on the first cruise and rained in Portland on the second cruise. It was a pleasant time of year to cruise in the Northeast but the leaves will not yet be changing in color. Dress in layers so you will be prepared for the uncertainy of the temps and the rain this time of year.

All the ports are great. Have your walking shoes.

Halifax is my favorite port with the must see "Citadel" (historical fort) with a great view of the city and the must see "Public Garden Park" with the beautiful flower displays. Both are within a long walking distance of the ship. If you are not up to walking then you should take a taxi.

St John has the awesome "City Market" which is an indoor market. They have great lobster rolls at a good price. It is also within walking distance of the ship.

Have a great time.:cool:

Edited by JohnSpo