Travel and Name Change

dancernl

Hello brides, grooms, and newlyweds! Our wedding is May of 2017 but we aren't cruising for our honeymoon until October. I plan to change my last name to my husband's. What's the best approach? We have deposited our cruise already in my maiden name, but that's it so far. There will be 5 months between wedding and trip, so is it realistic to think I'll have my name legally changed, get a new passport, licence, etc by then? Is it too risky to book airfare with my married name before it's legally changed? I don't even know how long it takes to do the change, ideally it would be when we file our marriage license. Any help and tips are much appreciated!

Our turn around recently for passports was 2 weeks. The rest is just updating Ss card and DL followed by all debit/credit cards. As for the cruise line contact them and see if a copy of you marriage license will allow them to change your name on the booking. If it's going to be a big deal just change everything after. I waited nearly 2 years to change mine lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Use your husband's name socially and for business if you choose, keep your documents in your birth name. You'll avoid a lot of bureaucracy and you won't need to keep sending off your marriage certificate (somethings need an original).

I got married in March and began changing everything in April (when the marriage license came back). I did everything except for my passport because it still has 6 years before expiration and pretty much got everything changed in less than 2 months. Had I wanted my passport changed, it would have taken about an additional month. PLENTY of time.

We will travel in November for our honeymoon and I will use my passport and the booking is under my maiden name. No big deal. :)

And in case you weren't aware, you have to do your Social Security Number/Card first before you can get the ball rolling everywhere else.

I got married in March and began changing everything in April (when the marriage license came back). I did everything except for my passport because it still has 6 years before expiration and pretty much got everything changed in less than 2 months. Had I wanted my passport changed, it would have taken about an additional month. PLENTY of time.

We will travel in November for our honeymoon and I will use my passport and the booking is under my maiden name. No big deal. :)

And in case you weren't aware, you have to do your Social Security Number/Card first before you can get the ball rolling everywhere else.

This is exactly what we did. We got married almost four years ago and my wife just changed her name on her passport renewal. We have an extra copy of our marriage license that we use for stuff like this, so our original license stays pretty. We sent my wife's passport out on a Friday and the renewal was in our hands the following Saturday (8 days total), so it is a pretty fast turn around. I'll do mine next year--until then I cruise with my maiden name.