Holland America R2L Cruise Tour Review

ron1946

One of the pleasant things about cruising on Holland America that I really enjoy is the fresh flowers everywhere you go, the interesting sculptures and the art around the ship. Here are some examples of those items aboard Volendam:

20160827_215449_resized_zpsztoyfhrv.jpg

20160827_215503_resized_zps0l8aywwz.jpg

20160827_215607_resized_zpswg92apum.jpg

20160827_165012_resized_zpsamgsdl2n.jpg

20160827_215737_001_resized_zpsxszmnrmx.jpg

This last one was really interesting. It is a dress made out of coins!

IMG_2512_zpszjgsq5up.jpg

Next up: Glacier Bay

We left Skagway at 10:00PM, and after a night of cruising entered into Glacier Bay. We had embarked a Park Ranger onboard prior to entering the National Park, and the ranger provided narrative as to where we were at as well as pointing out whales and wildlife along the way. The ship would approach the glacier and make a 360 degree turn so all aboard could get a good glimpse of the glaciers. Here are some pictures taken while we traveled through the ice and approached the glaciers.

Getting close!

IMG_2499_zpsenty2u66.jpg

IMG_2500_zpsb8xgkjlu.jpg

IMG_2503_zpshuv5pojr.jpg

IMG_2505_zpsfium0t4l.jpg

Shortly after this picture was taken the glacier "calved", and the sailboat had a pretty good ride! Unfortunately, I was not fast enough with my camera to get a picture of the actual calving! It is preceded by a very loud "Crack" when it occurs.

IMG_2507_zpsl5wtljno.jpg

IMG_2510_zpskiroymdt.jpg

Next up: More Glacier Bay

Here are more pictures as we proceeded through Glacier Bay. I must admit, even though this was our second trip into Glacier Bay, it was still amazed by not only the glaciers and their size, but the overall beauty and serenity of being in the Bay itself. I apologize for the reflection in the window in some of the pics.

20160828_092717_resized_zps4decjomm.jpg

20160828_093257_003_resized_zpsq8lqhjxk.jpg

20160828_094016_resized_zpsfj7fvopv.jpg

20160828_111415_008_resized_zpst1deveu2.jpg

20160828_114522_001_resized_zps7jh8ykfi.jpg

Saying goodbye to Glacier Bay

20160828_125440_002_zpsabofiypk.jpg

Next up: Ketchikan

One of the pleasant things about cruising on Holland America that I really enjoy is the fresh flowers everywhere you go, the interesting sculptures and the art around the ship.

This may sound corny but one of my favorite things about HAL is the daily rugs in the elevators. I love those. Love the pics. cant wait for rest..

This may sound corny but one of my favorite things about HAL is the daily rugs in the elevators. I love those. Love the pics. cant wait for rest..

We also enjoy the "Day" mats in the elevator. Helps to know what day it is especially on a long cruise!

We arrived in Ketchikan around 10:00 in the morning. It was a wet' date=' windy, cool day. Really the only bad weather day the whole trip. This was our third trip to Ketchikan, and each time it had been wet and windy, so was somewhat expecting it. We did not schedule any excursions, so decided to bundle up and do a little shopping. One thing on my bucket list was to see salmon spawning. So far we had been to far north to see much of it, so one of the stops was sure to be Creek Street to see it they were there.

The infamous "Welcome to Ketchikan" street sign:

[img']http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h42/rjrjax/20160829_105145_resized_zpsibxzxrzz.jpg[/img]

Ketchikan is another of the cities that it is very easy to get around in by just walking. The ship berths right "downtown" and most of the shops are right across the street from the pier. However, it is always advisable to get away from the main drag and head down some side streets to find a few better bargains! There is a tunnel within a short working distance from the piers as can be seen here. We have never been through it, so can't really comment about what is on the other side.

20160829_112136_resized_zpsealz7jqx.jpg

Creek Street, as implied, has many shops built over a creek that runs through Ketchikan. A board walk over and alongside the creek encompasses all the shops there. In the Gold Rush days, it housed the locale Brothels and Taverns. Today the river and creek was very clear and we could see the Salmon. It was not like you see on TV with the fish diving up the small falls, but they were in large schools heading up the creek.

Welcome to Creek Street. It is only about a three or four block walk directly across from where we were berthed.

IMG_2521_zpsgmwhdri0.jpg

The river and creek is not that large, but still very pretty, even in the rain!

IMG_2515_zpsjx2fgpdo.jpg

And here are the salmon schooling to get up the river.

IMG_2517_zps7qquimtj.jpg

To show you how close the ship is to the shopping, here is a picture of our ship taken from the shops across the street, shortly before we returned after spending most of the day in Ketchikan.

IMG_2523_zpsri24dflb.jpg

More of Ketchikan follows.

Here are some additional shots in Ketchikan.

As I mentioned, the shopping is directly across from the pier. Here is part of it.

IMG_2524_zpswenpbtqi.jpg

and another area

20160829_135213_001_resized_zps7kwldd7o.jpg

After returning to the ship, we went up to the lido deck from some hot chocolate and to warm up! Here are a couple of "aerial" views from the ship.

20160829_150455_resized_zpssqutdyg9.jpg

20160829_150514_001_resized_zpsak4u4jnd.jpg

And as in all our travels, the statue to the different cultures and vocations right where Volendam tied up.

20160829_150531_zpsgwtckujh.jpg

We had to say goodbye to Ketchikan, and here is the final departing shot as we were getting underway.

20160829_151538_resized_zpssi39xyji.jpg

Next:

Various ship shots and Victoria, BC

The trip via the Inside Passage from Ketchikan to Victoria had beautiful scenery, but again this was our third time, so we spent most of the time doing things inside the ship. I am sure most of you are aware that every evening the cabin steward prepares some sort of towel animal. We had an exceptional cabin steward that seemed to anticipate our every move, as every time we left the cabin, upon returning it was straightened up and tidy! Here is one of the animals we found from returning from dinner the last night.

20160830_041151_zpskx5cmlu3.jpg

During the day, HAL puts on a pretty good salmon bake on the lido deck. The food was excellent with a lot of "sides" to go along with it, and of course the ever present dessert line! Here is the serving line. We found it surprising that the salmon bake was not really crowded!

20160830_200837_zpszi5bpszl.jpg

The pool area was closed during the salmon bake, but the weather was a little cool, probably discouraging some polar bear swimmers!

IMG_2511_zpsaqfk0lom.jpg

Our last night in the dining room, the entire kitchen staff serenaded us, and bid us goodbye. The food on the ship was very good, and of course, the service was excellent as always. There was always plenty to choose from and I guarantee, we never went away hungry!

20160831_014616_zpsmlarciik.jpg

That night we had to fill out our Customs forms and tag our luggage indicating we would be on the motor coach to Seattle. We still had to go through Customs when we arrived in Victoria. Our last two trips sailed out of Seattle, and we were unable to port in Victoria due to winds, so this was our first stop here.

We arrived about 7:00 in the morning, and as can be seen in the below pics, Canada Place where the ship docks, is right downtown Victoria.

20160831_134037_zpsre1u6cww.jpg

20160831_1357150_zpswllw7nai.jpg

After arriving at Canada Place, we found our luggage and cleared customs. There were HAL reps that directed us to where the bus was waiting for us.

20160831_135709_zpsvbkyts58.jpg

The motor coach trip to Seattle was about 4 hours. We did have a couple of rest room stops along the way. When we left the ship, we drove right through the heart of Victoria, but it was a rainy day, so could not really get some good pictures. Here are a few of the buildings we passed along the way.

20160831_161057_resized_zpsodg3tldv.jpg

I was actually trying to get the Canadian flag flying here.

20160831_161914_resized_zps7syml5h0.jpg

An unusual shaped triangle building.

20160831_161205_resized_zpsd6giqozl.jpg

Eventually, we arrived back in the good old USA! We had to wait on the bus while the drive took all of our passports into the building to get us cleared through customs.

20160831_170907_001_zps2wewtwmv.jpg

After dropping folks off at the airport, our driver graciously took us and about 3 other couples by the hotels we were staying at in Seattle. We had to spend an extra night (at our expense) due to not getting to Seattle in time for our last flight out. We stayed at the Hampton Inn and Suites, just about 10 minutes from the airport, and left to return home at about 11:00 the next morning.

To kind of summarize all of this, we had an excellent time and would do it all over again. I must admit though, after the land tour, and the fact that we had done the Inside Passage twice before, time on the ship was melodramatic!. I have to say though, being in one place and not having to pack and unpack suitcases was a blessing! As I mentioned the food was excellent as well as the service aboard ship. It was also a welcomed break from the moving from one place to another, putting luggage outside the door, etc.! I think doing the cruise at the end of the tour gives you time to unwind and little time in preparation of going home.

I know this has been a very long review, and it has taken me forever to get it all posted between work, schedules and whatever, but I hope it will be beneficial to anyone that may be thinking of or actually taking the Holland America R2L Cruise Tour to Alaska. My wife and I had a wonderful time certainly enjoyed the trip tremendously!

I think it is now fitting to close out this review with the following picture of an Alaskan Sunset taken out our stateroom window, the last night aboard MS Volendam!

IMG_2514_zps14urcwoc.jpg

After having done a tour would you consider DIY?

What from your tour would you include in a DIY tour/leave out?

I would definitely consider a DIY tour, however, I think there are pros and cons vs a Cruise/Tour.

First of all, it was great having HAL make all the hotel/travel/logistics/arrangements. We just arrived in Seattle and they took over from there! I am sure it is a lot of work just scheduling everything on a DIY. However, in a DIY you definitely have more flexibility and can go at a more leisurely pace. The cruise/tour was pretty rigid in it's scheduling, getting bags out, ETC.

I would definitely visit all of the places (cities) we visited. Perhaps only two days at Denali, but I would definitely take the Tundra Wilderness Tour while there. Time in Anchorage could have been a little longer. But all in all, I think we enjoyed the Cruise Tour better than a DIY. Keep in mind, I am 70 years old and my wife is 69, so have everything taken care of for us was a huge plus.

Thank you, I have really enjoyed your commentary and pictures.

We are considering this itinerary for our Alaska trip and your review has been very useful. You have brought it all to life.

Thank you for your kind words. I hope you do take this cruise/tour because we consider it to be well worth while, and such a unique way to see the interior of Alaska, vice just the Inside Passage Ports.

• 1 month later...