Gym equipment in Penthouse - request?

andnosyd

I remember a long time ago the Penthouse suites on the M class used to have a treadmill or elliptical glider, but no longer do. I think this is a bit of a stretch, but can I request this from the shore concierge to have one in our Penthouse? We have 2 young kids and one is too young to be in the kids club, so having one in the room would be a lot easier than trying to get to the gym and one of us having to stay back. Thanks!

We only made such a request once, in 2012 on Eclipse. I can no longer remember if the m-class ships still had the equipment at that time but I believe those that had not be solsticised at the time did. My husband requested an exercise cycle - it would not have taken much space.

Unfortunately, like anything else you request in a PH that they do not wish to give you, we heard nothing again. You will find that they never want to say "no" if you are in a PH but they will avoid ever answering the question.

It is a shame because my husband had been advised to use an exercise cycle on medical grounds but found that the ones he was capable of using in the Gym were always being used for classes unless he went at the crack of dawn. The cruise was long enough to break the habit for him and he has hardly used the exercise bike at home since.

Things have changed since - a lot. 2012 was before Michael's Club in its current incarnation. These days more requests are met and you are likely to find that they make an effort to meet them so you may be luckier now. I should be interested in hearing about your experience.

Edited by Project_gal

I made the request via email to the shoreside concierge. Our sailing is 8 weeks away, so not sure if this will even get any attention yet, but I will let you know what happens when and if I get a response.

If you don't get the response you want pre cruise or no response at all follow up your request on boarding with the Michael's Club conceirge....If it is important to you it should be to them...

If you don't get the response you want pre cruise or no response at all follow up your request on boarding with the Michael's Club conceirge....If it is important to you it should be to them...

Thank you, I will. Our last cruise in a Royal Suite we asked the concierge for a few simple things, like a certain type of beer and soda. Of course when we got to our room, none of the requests were done, so I don't have a ton of confidence in the shoreside concierge.

The crew is instructed to grant to any reasonable request that penthouse guests make.

That being said, our kids don't use the kids club either, and my spouse and I took turns going to the gym (last 2 times we were in the PH). To expect the crew to move heavy gym equipment (that the rest of the ship uses) to your suite seems somewhat unreasonable to me. Of course, this is just my opinion.

Suspect you'll get a better response to requesting a couple of hours of in-room child care for when you want to exercise.

Or you can bring your nanny on the trip. We did this too when our children were small...

One thing your older child may enjoy (depending on age, etc.) is an in-suite Xbox setup (with lots of games). My kids liked having that option.

Enjoy your trip!

it was nice when those suites actually had the gym equipment already in them.

Totally agree, I saw those old photos too and was a little bummed not to have an en suite treadmill!

You have a great attitude and will LOVE your trip. So jealous I have to wait until next summer to sail again. Enjoy!

Whenever we were in the PH on the M class, those treadmills never worked. Kind of stupid to put that kind of equipment on a balcony where the salt air ruins things quickly.

Next time, consider a cruise on Oceania where their Owners and Vista suites both have a room dedicated to gym equipment. On our last cruise on Riviera, in the Vista Suite, they had a bike, treadmill and elliptical machine.

Edited by kitty9

Whenever we were in the PH on the M class, those treadmills never worked. Kind of stupid to put that kind of equipment on a balcony where the salt air ruins things quickly.

This was my experience as well. SO excited to have the treadmill on the veranda... but of course it didn't work. You can't leave a treadmill outside, especially on a ship. The wet bar sink was useless, too. All corroded. And the mini fridge didn't work. The hot tub seemed to... until one time, while using it, we hear a loud recorded voice say, "Vacate the tub immediately, vacate the tub immediately!" Not sure why, or what happened, but you never saw two people "vacate the tub" faster. LOL

With all that space in the PH I am sure they could offer a couple of exercise alternatives. There seems to be enough gizmos and gadgets advertised on TV that are supposed to tone this and tone that....surely a couple could be somewhere stored in the suite to enjoy or not to enjoy.

On the M class we feel we have plenty of exercise returning to the aft from Michael's Club or the pool! On the S class exercise is far more difficult, everything is so near the PH!

With all that space in the PH I am sure they could offer a couple of exercise alternatives. There seems to be enough gizmos and gadgets advertised on TV that are supposed to tone this and tone that....surely a couple could be somewhere stored in the suite to enjoy or not to enjoy.

On the M class we feel we have plenty of exercise returning to the aft from Michael's Club or the pool! On the S class exercise is far more difficult, everything is so near the PH!

It is worse than that. The flow is not good in the M-class PH so I would walk miles every day without leaving the suite. The flow is so much better in the S-class PH. Unfortunately, combined with the more central location, it does mean I do not get as much exercise.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update, and as expected the shoreside concierge was not able to get any exercise equipment into the PH. She checked to see if they carry any spare treadmills or ellipticals, and they don't. She also said the machine would need to be bolted down for safety reasons...oh well.

Just an update, and as expected the shoreside concierge was not able to get any exercise equipment into the PH. She checked to see if they carry any spare treadmills or ellipticals, and they don't. She also said the machine would need to be bolted down for safety reasons...oh well.

Thanks for reporting back. Nice to see that Celebrity will now say "no" with and explanation. So much better than just letting the request hang as happened in the past.

As both project gal and I have noted at least in the M class PH there is the opportunity for some exercise......Firstly there is the jogging track....start from the entrance hall, through the lounge with two turns around the dining table and one around the piano, out through the patio doors, three turns around the deck, in through the bedroom door, circuit the master bath and dressing area, into the corridor quick trip into the second bath and butler's pantry and back to the entrance hall and repeat....

Add to that the long walk to the stern of the ship and you should keep fit....

We are trying our first S class PH in the Spring, I think dancing in the ridiculously large bathroom may be in order for exercise!

Sorry Celebrity couldn't meet your request but at least you know. Health and Safety requirements for so many things now are so much tighter (and suing for injuries so much more prevalent) I am not really surprised.

Have a great PH experience!