Cruises for 22 mo. and 3 y.o.?

Jayhawk

I swore I'd never post this topic, and I think I may be nuts for even asking, but hubby and I are contemplating a trip with the kids in January and we're wondering if we'd be crazy to take a toddler and preschooler on a cruise. We were big cruisers before kids, and went about 3 years ago when our youngest was 8 months old to S. Carib. and it was great. Of course she wasn't mobile yet!

I remember that most cruise lines have activities for potty trained 3-year olds, but it's the younger one I'm worried about, who will be just shy of her 2nd birthday. Has anyone had a good experience taking children this age on a cruise?

IF the answer to this is yes, what cruise ships/iterneraries do you recommend/would cater to this age?

Feel free to point me to other posts if this has been discussed recently.

Thanks in advance! Rose

I can tell you that at 22 months she is too young to go in any ships kids programs, but that doesn't necessarily mean you won't have a great time on a cruise with your kids. Some lines like RCI and Celebrity have in-cabin babysitting which would allow you to have some time without the kids. But they charge full 3rd and 4th passenger fares for kids. Other lines, like Disney, will only charge port fees and taxes.

This may not be an option, but if you can wait two months, Carnival will allow 2 year olds (even if not potty trained) into their camp program. We took our first cruise about a month after DD turned 2 and she absolutely loved it. The youngest group is 2 - 5 year olds, so your children would be together.

The counselors will change diapers - you just bring a small supply in a bag with your child's name on it. They let you know when they need more. The counselors were great.

Whatever you decide, have a great cruise!

Thanks All. I hadn't realized Carnival would let 2 y.o.'s with diapers in. Woo hoo! How strict are they? Meaning if she's a week or two short of one year would that work? (Her birthday is 2/6....) If not, I suppose we can wait until March (too much going on in Feb.)

Thanks All. I hadn't realized Carnival would let 2 y.o.'s with diapers in. Woo hoo! How strict are they? Meaning if she's a week or two short of one year would that work? (Her birthday is 2/6....) If not, I suppose we can wait until March (too much going on in Feb.)

VERY strict. Must be 24 months+ before the cruise starts. No wiggle room.

We are going in Jan2006 NCL-dawn. They take 2 yr old in the kids crew. You are given a pager and will beep you if you child needs a diaper change. I prefer to change my 2 yr old myself. We got a deal with 3rd/4th free. Just pay gov't taxes. If you can go for 10 or 11 days this is a good deal. Better total price compared to Carnival 7 nights.

Your child will need to be 2 by the date of sailing. no getting around that--they will have their birthdate on record.

March-- spring break --lots of kids so you may want to look into that again.

• 3 weeks later...

I would wait the 2 months.NCL and Carnival will take kids at 2 into kids crew.I would love to go now but my son is only 13 months.October 06 when he's 2 it's bonvoyage on the Dawn.Like the previous post said NCL has great 3 and 4 passenger rates.Good uck

Archived