Upsold !!!

littlemeagain

No, in fact even at 2 weeks NCL will sometimes say upsells aren't yet available, and not release them until one week before. People are most definitely not getting upgrades before then.

Not always the case, I have heard of people as far as 30 days out able to get an upsell. I am 3 weeks out for my Breakaway trip and I called yesterday. They gave me 3 offers for Haven suites. I took a $750PP offer for an H6 Aft Suite, Total was $1500 as they only charge for the first 2 even though we have 4 in the cabin.

I do agree about being careful when to call though. I think if you are looking to end up in the Haven under 30 days would be ok just don't expect rock bottom prices. If you are looking to move into a balcony or Mini Suite don't call until 2 weeks out.

Edited by ricfre112

Why 2 weeks? I thought people are getting offers before that. No?

People have gotten offers 30 days before the sail date. They seem to get the most and best 2 weeks before though. I agree with not flooding the line. The last thing we want is for it to be shut down!

What's the difference between calling the upsell line and checking your cruise price yourself and when there is a drop call and upgrade? Does the upsell department have access to deals that aren't on the NCL website or through TA?

• The timing is different: You can call and upgrade your cabin at any time after booking (but usually people are referring to upgrades after final payment). Upsell requests are only accepted close to sailing.
  • The prices are different: To upgrade, you simply pay the difference between what you paid and what the current published fare is. With upsells, you never know what kinds of offers they will make, and they are (reportedly) negotiable.
  • The consequences for your booking perks are different: If you upgrade, you are basically making a new booking, so you get a new set of perks to replace your original perks. If you upsell, you keep your old perks and you don't get any additional perks with your new room. For example, you don't go from Pick One/Pick Two to Get all Four/Five offers if you upsell to a suite. You still only get your original one or two perks.

This is all based on people's recent reports. None of this is stated anywhere in writing, so there is no promise on the part of NCL that this is how they will handle your request, and that this is what you are entitled to. As always, get as much info as you can from whoever you talk about what the offer is, how much it will cost you, what you will lose, what you will gain, and then make up your mind if you want to do it. And once you do it, stay on the line until you receive written confirmation that you got exactly what you expected to get.

I called and got an upset yesterday too. I am on the Getaway that leaves Sunday. I upsold to a Haven courtyard penthouse room from a guaranteed balcony. Last week when I called it was $500 pp, yesterday it was $300pp; I couldn't pass it up. I thought about surprising my bf, it's both of our bdays; but I was so excited I couldn't keep it to myself.

I called and got an upset yesterday too. I am on the Getaway that leaves Sunday. I upsold to a Haven courtyard penthouse room from a guaranteed balcony. Last week when I called it was $500 pp, yesterday it was $300pp; I couldn't pass it up. I thought about surprising my bf, it's both of our bdays; but I was so excited I couldn't keep it to myself.

Have a great cruise!!

Have a great cruise!!

Just curious. Did you have the guaranteed room with no perks so lowest price possible for balcony or did you have a perk too?

After reading thru this then by upsell you didn't get the perks that normally come with a Haven? But who cares, you got a great deal for a Haven. But it would be even better with all the perks.

Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions.

Have a great cruise.

Just curious. Did you have the guaranteed room with no perks so lowest price possible for balcony or did you have a perk too?

After reading thru this then by upsell you didn't get the perks that normally come with a Haven? But who cares, you got a great deal for a Haven. But it would be even better with all the perks.

Have a great cruise.

Have a great cruise.

When we booked in January it was for a guaranteed balcony and came with 2 of the 4 perks. So we choose UDP (4 specialty meals) and UBP. When I noticed a price drop a few months later I called and they said the promo wasn't for the BX category anymore so we were better off keeping what we had. When we finally did get a cabin assigned it was in the BC category. We keep all of the original perks and don't get the Haven promos; which I am fine with since we still have the UBP and will get our 4 specialty meals. Since now we can eat in the Haven dining and get anything on any menu we can always order something if we want to try somewhere we don't go.

Edited by jmh0603

Just called the main NCL UK line to ask about an upsell. Myself, OH and Mum and traveling on the Epic on the 25th for a week in the Med.

Just moved from a large balcony B6 (B6) to 2 bed room villa with balcony (H4), USD equivalent $1400 for all 3 of us! So excited never thought we would be able to get to that level. It is a surprise for my Mum and her first holiday without my Dad since he passed away.

Kept all our previous perks and also now have all 4.

Soooo happy :-)

Not always the case, I have heard of people as far as 30 days out able to get an upsell. I am 3 weeks out for my Breakaway trip and I called yesterday. They gave me 3 offers for Haven suites. I took a $750PP offer for an H6 Aft Suite, Total was $1500 as they only charge for the first 2 even though we have 4 in the cabin.

I do agree about being careful when to call though. I think if you are looking to end up in the Haven under 30 days would be ok just don't expect rock bottom prices. If you are looking to move into a balcony or Mini Suite don't call until 2 weeks out.

Are you on 10/2 breakaway?

Just call the upsell number. They'll ask for your reservation number and let you know what is available and what the cost would be to upgrade. The number is 800 625 4309.

I'm on the same cruise as you. We're within 2 weeks of sailing, so if there are cabins available now's a good time to call.

Jim

Tagged

Yes I am, we are getting so close! The upsell is going to be a great surprise for the family when arrive at the dock!

We are on the same sailing. I called yesterday but she said there was no offer. Did you receive something from ncl? We are in a regular balcony. First time trying upsell. May I ask what offers did they give? Thank you.

I am assuming they would only email people who booked directly with the cruise line?

Or do people as myself who booked via a TA have a chance as well?

Thanks

Not sure, we used to use a TA, only things just took too long. However we never did have any offers presented in over 20 years of cruising until the last couple of years, just after we started booking direct. Not sure some TA's have the time to deal with up sells and the likes.

For what it's worth: I'm a journalist, and called the upsell desk earlier this year and asked some questions (not for publication, just for fact-checking purposes.) The person I spoke with said not to call more than 30 days before sailaway if you're looking for an upsell to a haven suite. But she said they only do balcony/mini suite upsells 14 days out. There are only two people in that office, and they are getting overwhelmed with balcony requests before they've been opened for upselling. They keep track of how many times each person calls.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are on the same sailing. I called yesterday but she said there was no offer. Did you receive something from ncl? We are in a regular balcony. First time trying upsell. May I ask what offers did they give? Thank you.

Interesting idk what you have for a room, we were in a mini suite. That may have something to do with it.

I called Monday i didnt get anything from NCL. They offered 1000pp for the aft suite, 1500pp for 2 bedroom villa, and 2000 pp for owners suite. I really only wanted to spend 1000 total but could do 1500 at most so I declined. They only had 2 aft suites at that time.

I saw Wednesday a 3rd aft suite (which is what I wanted) opened up. I called they offered 750pp for the aft, 1000pp for 2 bedroom, and 1500pp for the owners suite.

I was going to decline and hold out for the infamous 500pp. After doing quick thinking and number crunching in my head I took the deal. I have enough NCL card rewards to cover most of that cost. I'm glad I did a couple hours later I checked and all the aft suites were gone.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Forums mobile app

Edited by ricfre112

For what it's worth: I'm a journalist, and called the upsell desk earlier this year and asked some questions (not for publication, just for fact-checking purposes.) The person I spoke with said not to call more than 30 days before sailaway if you're looking for an upsell to a haven suite. But she said they only do balcony/mini suite upsells 14 days out. There are only two people in that office, and they are getting overwhelmed with balcony requests before they've been opened for upselling. They keep track of how many times each person calls.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That's great to know. I'm surprised there are only 2 people working upsells.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Forums mobile app