Lost Iphone

Panger

Thank you for support (I've become nervous checking this thread now to see if on the off chance someone might have lost a phone). In our defence:

We, accidentally, found the phone down the couch (not bed settee) the day before disembarkation. The battery was dead, there is no cellular service. It could have been there for months. If we had found the phone in different circumstances, where the owner could have been still on the ship then, of course, guest services would have been the place to go. Yes, we could have handed it in on last day, but we asked ourselves what is the probability that someone will make an effort to return this phone to the owner, and that the item would pass from ship to port to airplane to Miami and then to its owner (as said earlier, our experience with lost items is that RCCI told us they would go to charity).

Therefore, we took responsibility to try and find the owner; and mail them the phone at our own cost (naturally). The original debate had been - which company to hand the phone to RCCI or Apple? We decided an Apple store was the place to go, upon returning, discovered that Apple do not handle lost iphones.

Phones can be replaced, our concern is that the owner may have valuable holiday photos that cannot be replaced; therefore it seems worth making the effort.

The phone is locked, no access to contacts. Siri doesn't work. We are trying one more method, using Google and Facebook. I have written to RCCI asking for their Miami office address, which is where we will be sending the phone if this last method does not work.

Thank you again, to those who have given helpful comments which have aided the methodology for trying to return this phone to its owner.

Thank you for support (I've become nervous checking this thread now to see if on the off chance someone might have lost a phone). In our defence:

We, accidentally, found the phone down the couch (not bed settee) the day before disembarkation. The battery was dead, there is no cellular service. It could have been there for months. If we had found the phone in different circumstances, where the owner could have been still on the ship then, of course, guest services would have been the place to go. Yes, we could have handed it in on last day, but we asked ourselves what is the probability that someone will make an effort to return this phone to the owner, and that the item would pass from ship to port to airplane to Miami and then to its owner (as said earlier, our experience with lost items is that RCCI told us they would go to charity).

Therefore, we took responsibility to try and find the owner; and mail them the phone at our own cost (naturally). The original debate had been - which company to hand the phone to RCCI or Apple? We decided an Apple store was the place to go, upon returning, discovered that Apple do not handle lost iphones.

Phones can be replaced, our concern is that the owner may have valuable holiday photos that cannot be replaced; therefore it seems worth making the effort.

The phone is locked, no access to contacts. Siri doesn't work. We are trying one more method, using Google and Facebook. I have written to RCCI asking for their Miami office address, which is where we will be sending the phone if this last method does not work.

Thank you again, to those who have given helpful comments which have aided the methodology for trying to return this phone to its owner.

I totally agree with you see my experience above I contacted Celebrity 30 minutes later but as I was already off the ship they said sorry nothing we can do everything goes to charity

I just checked this and it works. I guess I set mine up to say the owner is "Me", sounds like something I would do.:eek::p It does also tell me the phone number of the phone, so that might help someone find out whose phone it is. I was able to get this information when the phone was locked.

Also checked and it worked too! Thanks.

It sounds like you found the phone very shortly after boarding the ship so it's safe to say the previous owner was not on the prior cruise, and probably very unlikely they were doing a b2b cruise. Pretty unlikely that turning into guest relations would have accomplished anything. (not saying I agree with not turning it in - just seems that doing so would have been futile)

It sounds like you are back home, however there is no cellular service available to the phone and Siri doesn't work, so I assume you are able to power it up. Have you confirmed it is not in airplane mode? If you are not an iPhone user are an not familiar with how to use it, nor the icons that are seen on the lock screen, maybe you could upload a photo so iPhone users can "interpret" what it displays.

If it should have access to a cellular network (because you are on mainland pretty such anywhere in the world) and airplane mode is off, it's possible the owned wiped it through find my iPhone (which to me implies they reside somewhere other than USA). I don't see anything else you can do. Let's be honest, sending it to RCI headquarters in Miami will accomplish nothing.

My son was pickpocketed a few years ago and got his phone, id, and some money. That's all he had in his pocket. He realized it pretty quickly and we had find my iPhone on it and were able to track whoever stole it for several hours even after we reported it as stolen. It was crazy watching the thief move around the concert venue.

But it was an eye opener for me. We reported it as stolen but never took it off our listing on find my iPhone because it told us if we did the someone could use the phone. About two years after it was stolen it disappeared from our find my iPhone app. Maybe the thief finally figured out how to break it or maybe they destroyed it. Who knows.

It is crazy though Apple, att, whoever, no one is any help trying to prevent service on a stolen phone. So I guess tracking down an owner from a lost phone would be just as hard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My son was pickpocketed a few years ago and got his phone, id, and some money. That's all he had in his pocket. He realized it pretty quickly and we had find my iPhone on it and were able to track whoever stole it for several hours even after we reported it as stolen. It was crazy watching the thief move around the concert venue.

But it was an eye opener for me. We reported it as stolen but never took it off our listing on find my iPhone because it told us if we did the someone could use the phone. About two years after it was stolen it disappeared from our find my iPhone app. Maybe the thief finally figured out how to break it or maybe they destroyed it. Who knows.

It is crazy though Apple, att, whoever, no one is any help trying to prevent service on a stolen phone. So I guess tracking down an owner from a lost phone would be just as hard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Slightly off topic. But this story reminds me of when my daughter had her purse stolen about 12 or more years ago. She was bar tending in a local bar and someone swiped it from behind the bar.

WE reported it to the police. But of course they just took a report with no hopes of finding. However her and I became our own detectives. We kept calling the phone. One time the guy was dumb enough to answer. So we started tracking the phone calls on the ATT website. (this was before "find my phone") The guy used the phone to make lots of calls. So we in turn started calling all the same numbers on the website. Sometimes making contact, sometimes not. We finally talked to the dad of a friend of the thief. The son was along with the thief when he stole it and didn't want to get into trouble. So he went to the police and turned him in.

Sometime a little detective work goes a long way.

I hope the OP finds a way to locate the owner. I read about finding the IMEI number on a phone and talking to the provider. I assume you have already tried that. Are you keeping the phone charged in case the owner tries calling it??

or it could have been there only since last cruise. You had no right to take it. None

Those that think Royal throws away belongings that are turned in to guest services are very wrong

Every once in awhile someone comes on here thinking they can do a better job returning something rather than doing the right thing. They knowingly walk off the ship with something that is not theirs.

Not once have I have ever heard this was successful.

Edited by cruisinfanatic

or it could have been there only since last cruise. You had no right to take it. None

Those that think Royal throws away belongings that are turned in to guest services are very wrong

Every once in awhile someone comes on here thinking they can do a better job returning something rather than doing the right thing. They knowingly walk off the ship with something that is not theirs.

Not once have I have ever heard this was successful.

The cruise lines won't return clothing, that gets donated to charity. But they will return, electronics, jewelry, etc.

As you say it is wrong to walk off the ship with something found. It should be turned in right away to Guest Relations.

I think the OP having taken it off and being unsuccessful in finding the owner probably realizes now that it was a mistake.

Edited by Charles4515

The cruise lines won't return clothing, that gets donated to charity. But they will return, electronics, jewelry, etc.

As you say it is wrong to walk off the ship with something found. It should be turned in right away to Guest Relations.

I had a client a few years ago that got back a child's favorite sweatshirt after the cruise

Since you didn't turn it in to guest services you can turn it in to your local law enforcement agency. Just tell them the circs of how you found the phone and hand it over & they'll take a report. They can contact Apple's law enforcement compliance department & track down the owner by the serial number & return the phone to the owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums