The BEST TIME EVER!!

enymarsh

Okay, so I am VERY excited about this excursion, but I have to say that even having read praises before, I still was unprepared for the special time I had on the PADDLES KAYAK/SNORKEL ADVENTURE!

Not only was this an experience filled with interesting information and beautiful sights, I was also left with a feeling of being cared for and pampered. The 20-25 minute drive from the port was filled to the brim with interesting information so we felt we got to see a bit of the island on the way. Then once there, we were treated with the greatest care as we boarded the boats to the kayak area. During the kayaking, we were constantly either in motion or learning about the local wildlife. Once at the snorkeling location, we again were given the opportunity to learn about the natural wonders of the area. I like to learn but I also like to explore a bit on my own... this excursion gave me the opportunity to do both in complete safety!

The biggest and most pleasant surprise came at the end when we returned to the starting point and were greeted with chilled aromatherapy towels to wash our faces and hands and also buckets of cool water (with flower petals) to step in to cool and cleanse our feet. If this were not enough, we were then treated to homemade treats to eat along with rum punch or fruit punch. All this, being greeted by Jennie, her husband (Conrad?) and her parrot (sorry can't remember the name) and having some relaxing, informative social time to end our experience in as gentle a manner as it was started.

Altogether, this was an experience not to be missed!!! I felt very lucky to have heard about it here before we went so that I could book it! Be sure to check it out ahead of time though, their tours fill up early since they limit the numbers!

http://www.antiguapaddles.com/home.html

WOW -- you must have been "lurking" while I was surfing the CC Antiqua thread this weekend (lol). We've been to Antigua many times but have always just "hit a beach". This time around we want to do a "bit more" and explore. We're a family of 4, DH and DS (12) have done kayaking (sea in Alaska and paddle in Panama) so I'm not concerned about them. I haven't done anything terribly "physical" though I'm in "decent" shape. My DD (9) has just learned to use her 2 wheeler and is getting more adventurous. She's not a great swimmer, though she'd enjoy to try to snorkel (we'd stay close and, of course, would have her use a lifevest). After checking out Paddles site I was curious if there were others who have tried this "first hand". Have seen numerous posts about Eli but, unfortunately, it would stretch out excursion budget for us. Paddles fits in perfectly. How many were in your group. Were you picked up at the pier and returned there? Do you think my daughter would be "ok" trying this? What was the "hike" like?

Thanks for any and all info.

Carolyn

Hey Carolyn

We are booked with paddles for Nov with my 12 yr old DD. We too felt Eli was just too much to spend for this kind of experience in one port day.

But I responded to your question because I was tentative about booking our Kayak and jungle hike excursion when we cruised to Hawaii - my daughter had just turned 10 at that time.

She and I (like you not inactive but certainly not regularly working out!) shared a kayak with her in front and she did just fine. Yes, we were one of the slower crafts in our group but a guide in his kayak hung in back and encouraged all of us turtles - I actually kinda enjoyed the slower pace and being able to chat about local customs etc with the guide. The kayak company also had a rowboat with motor in the water as a precaution (with tow ropes for distressed kayakers who needed a ride) - I don't know for sure but would think all companies take similar precautions.

My DD first tried snorkeling in Mexico @ age 7 and again in Hawaii - never really cared for the snorkel but happily wore the mask, coming up for breath in between. It is a great family activity and my DD always looks forward to snorkeling despite her inexperience with equipment (we bought our own last cruise). She even vows to try to get the hang of the snorkel knowing it will increase her comfort & endurance in the water (we have ressies to snorkel with Manatees in Dec so she has motivation)

Our tour guides in Hawaii were also a family company and very attentive - I think it is one of the perks of choosing a "scaled down" activity vs the larger more expensive group excursions. This Paddles Co. especially seems to pack in a good variety of interesting stops into a 1/2 day tour.

So I'm sure your DD will have fun and amaze everyone with her day's accomplishment - don't forget to give her a water proof camera to record the family memories!

Tina

Tina,

Thanks for your feedback. What port are you doing the manatees?

We're going on the Lirica on Dec. 17th. Originally we were supposed to do the Western Carib. (again) but switched when we got a "good deal" a month ago. Now with all the "activity" that the western carib. has gotten I'm glad we did switch. I think we'll book with Paddles and probably hit DIckenson beach afterwards.

Now to decide what to do for short (9-2:30PM) stay in St. Martin and full days in St. Lucia and Grenada.

Thanks

Carolyn

Actually, I only just returned saturday night but since I felt that this excursion was truly the highlight of my week, I was compelled to post right away!

There were 3 children there, approximate ages... 8, 10, and 14, but they weren't my kids so I'm just guessing. In total, there were 21 people, split between two boats, 11 in mine and 10 in the other. The kids had a great time and they were catered to throughout the trip. They had child-sized life vests for them and they wore them both for the kayaking and the snorkeling. At the end, Jennie made a big deal about their participation and gave each of them some souveniers... a poster, a pencil, and I think one other thing, can't remember what.

The "hike" was entirely optional and some chose just to snorkel off the beach while the rest of us went. It was VERY short (about 5 minutes)and up some rocks on a path. With my water shoes it was very easy to climb without slipping or losing my footing. Even the least athletic of the group were able to go on it if they chose to. The nice thing about it was that you got a breathtaking view of the area!

Just "one last question" (ok, it might not be the last one lol)

Did you book with Paddles directly or through your cruise? (I'm hoping you were able to do it independently since we're traveling on MSC and haven't gotten any info regarding tours).

I sent Paddles an e-mail request. Checking my in-box to see if there's been a reply yet... really looking forward to it.

Thanks,

Carolyn

Yes! I booked directly with them through their website. Then when I wanted to reserve the spot, I faxed them my credit card information so that I didn't have to broadcast it over the net. They didn't run the credit card info through until I had completed the trip, and then they had me sign the slip. They are very easy to communicate with and I even got a reminder email right before my cruise began. Very nice people!!

I was not able to book directly for our Dec reservation because the NCL Spirit we are sailing on suppossedly booked all of their spots - you may have heard this on other boards; often tour companies let cruise lines book exclusively so that passengers have to book thru them @ higher price.

But I was able to book it thru shoretrips.com which was a little more $ than dirct booking but still less than the ship. Shore trips has been recommended by other CCers; you reserve w/ credit card, get fast email confirmation, and print your vouchers to show up with @ designated time right at the pier.

Hope this helps. Tina

Carolyn - we are visiting some different islands but I have booked a tour for Grenada thru grenadasunsation.com which has a great website with island info and a variety of 1/2 & full day tours to choose from. We initially booked a private tour for our family of 3 as we wanted to customize the tour to our liking. We invited others from our roll call and our guide Ian has been extremely helpful via email communication as we kept adding a couple more every few weeks, extended time, inquired about & added additional activities.

Again, I haven't used him yet but Personable & diligent customer gets high marks from me! Plus the private tour was only $20 per hour incl. pier pick up 7 drop off - so split between our group of 8, very reasonable for the convenience of choosing our itinerary. Sunsation Tour company also has some recommendations under Ports of Call -> Caribbean Other thread.

If you want his direct email, after you check out their website, I'll post here.

Tina

Tina,

Thanks for the info on Grenada... what have you planned for your "group" to do? We're a family of 4 and there might be another family that might want to "join" us there. But Alex (DS) has a school "friend" whose family has been going to Grenada for many years (though not for the last 2 or 3). They're Dad teaches a couple weeks a year at the Med School and they'll be going down for Thanksgiving. I'm hoping that they'll make some suggestions on what to do, but having the contact of an independent "operator" always is helpful.

Right now I don't know what we'll be doing in Antigua since I just got a return e-mail from Paddles that they're "totally booked" for the AM tour and their waitlist has 14 (so that doesn't offer any hope). I haven't looked into Shoretrips since I really didn't want to pay a "premium" for a space, not sure if that will offer any "hope" either. Jennie did mention a "seafaris" tour that might be an alternative, though I'm not sure what they charge (to keep us within budget).

Let me know of your plans.

Thanks,

Carolyn

In Grenada we are starting with a visit to the market - Saturday it is a big event with fresh produce and handicrafts. I felt with a local guide it would offer alot of cultural insight plus with Ivan having damaged alot of spice production (plantations and processing plants may not be worth visiting) this may be our best best to learn about that and purchases would support the locals.

Then we are hiking to the second of the Seven Sisters Falls which is in Grand Etang Nat'l Park - always like to plan a short excursion into Rainforest whenever we get the opportunity.

Rest of what we do will be largely dependednt on weather:

We hope to go to North side of island to Levera which is a coastal Nat'l Park area with good beach (Bathway) and snorkeling plus perhaps some more hiking.

Probably stop in Gouyave for lunch as it's an interesting old Fishing village too.

May get to River Antoine Rum Distillery and Douglastan Plantation depending on driving conditions and time.

We'll be leaving it up to the discretion of our guide - he seems very attuned to what our priorities are and he will be best judge of what is doable.

It think Wacky Rollers river tubing is in Grenada - do a search?

Booking direct I think it was $50pp and maybe get a guide to transport giving a little tour on way back, would probably still be savings over ship cost for tubing alone. Seems like a great family alternative

Yes! I booked directly with them through their website. Then when I wanted to reserve the spot, I faxed them my credit card information so that I didn't have to broadcast it over the net. They didn't run the credit card info through until I had completed the trip, and then they had me sign the slip. They are very easy to communicate with and I even got a reminder email right before my cruise began. Very nice people!![/quote]

Esther, Gee, next time I am going to ask you about our tours first. We booked kayaking through the ship. Apparently we were with a totally different tour company. Amy & I were really surprised when the rum punch came out before the snorkeling took place. We got a late start and the kayaking didn't seem that long. We still had a great time and the tour guys were nice but it didn't seem that outstanding.

Yikes! Laura, I can't believe you missed my posts. They must have been way before you came onto that roll call... I actually posted all of the information, including the website, thinking others might want to join us. The big joke was that in the description they mention all of the possible wildlife you might see and it included a harmless water snake... just a possibility.... and when Rob read that he freaked out about the snakes. It was really sort of funny! This was such a winner I actually want to go on another cruise that has Antigua on its itinerary just so I can bring my husband on it.

I have to agree with everyone on this, Paddles was great. We too were on the Golden on the repo cruise a couple weeks ago and had a great time. An awesome experience with the guys (hey, Anthony!). I love the snorkeling spot, I will go there again. Jennie and Conrad were very gracious and the bus driver (forgot his name) was great, very informative and kind to drop us off at a different location from the others. Book direct if you can, it's $19 less then on the ship. Great scenery on this part of Antigua, been there 3 times and never knew this was there.

Laura,

Water snakes? :rolleyes: actually, can't say I saw one, but they did find a starfish for us each to hold! :D also saw some lizards when we were on the beach/island that we snorkeled from... one had no tail and had just started to grow it back, very neat.

Archived