Currently on the Legend to Hawaii

jilly08

We did this cruise back in the 90's. LOVED IT.

Did our own thing by having a car waiting for us in every port. Loved the overnight in Honolulu and Maui, and enjoyed 2 stops on the big island, 1 in Kauii. And the 5 1/2 crossing the Pacific were SO relaxing, especially with the Hawaiian band playing non stop Hawaiian music at the pool.

What we didn't expect was such a majority of the old age group, 90 and up.

Nicely, done, really enjoyed your blog. DH and I love Hawaii and are planning another trip for 2017.

We also did Tubing the Ditch. I remember lunch was included and we stopped by this little waterfall and were served fresh sandwiches, and our guide went over and pulled a few fresh avocados off a tree to add to our sandwich. oh em gee :)

It is sad the Arizona Memorial has to remind people how to act. I was sitting behind someone during the movie who pulled out his phone...I leaned over and told him not so nicely to turn it off. :mad: Absolutely no respect.

I know you said you probably won't go back, but you definitely did not get the whole vibe of Maui. Just a trip to Haleakala is amazing. We went for the sunrise and words can't describe it - watching the sun rise above the clouds is breathtaking, but cold. lol

We also stayed at Paradise Bay in Kaneohe, which is right down the road from the Tropical Farm/Mac Nut place. Did you happen to pass a roadside stand where they were grilling chickens on a rotisserie? Amazing huli huli chicken and has been visited twice by Diners Drive-ins & Dives. :)

We did have good snacks and drinks at the natural pool after the tubing--just not a real lunch.

I know there are places in Maui that are beautiful. The son of a good friend of mine lives Up Country in Maui and the pics are beautiful. I can't explain it but I just didn't like the vibe of the place. The big island was definitely more my place. I immediately got that "I could live here feeling".

I don't recall seeing the place that sells the huli huli chicken but could have easily missed it as we were pretty intent on watching that boar in front of us and getting pics. (LOL)

I went to Tahiti last year and if I repeat anyplace, it would be there. Even the city of Papeete I loved. Had a small town feel. I would repeat Moorea but skip Bora Bora for Raitea and Ta'a. (Actually looked into the freighter cruises there)

RE: The Memorial--it took everything I had not to stick a foot out and trip some of those little monsters and to not smack some of the adults up side the head. You can definitely see where the term "Ugly American" comes from. <sigh>

All in all a GREAT trip but honestly there are too many other places I need to see!

Thanks for following along everyone and for your comments.

jilly

We did have good snacks and drinks at the natural pool after the tubing--just not a real lunch.

I know there are places in Maui that are beautiful. The son of a good friend of mine lives Up Country in Maui and the pics are beautiful. I can't explain it but I just didn't like the vibe of the place. The big island was definitely more my place. I immediately got that "I could live here feeling".

I don't recall seeing the place that sells the huli huli chicken but could have easily missed it as we were pretty intent on watching that boar in front of us and getting pics. (LOL)

I went to Tahiti last year and if I repeat anyplace, it would be there. Even the city of Papeete I loved. Had a small town feel. I would repeat Moorea but skip Bora Bora for Raitea and Ta'a. (Actually looked into the freighter cruises there)

RE: The Memorial--it took everything I had not to stick a foot out and trip some of those little monsters and to not smack some of the adults up side the head. You can definitely see where the term "Ugly American" comes from. <sigh>

All in all a GREAT trip but honestly there are too many other places I need to see!

Thanks for following along everyone and for your comments.

jilly

This just goes to show how cruisers are different. I would have given up both my stops on the Big Island of Hilo and Kona, for more time on Kauai and Maui.

The trip up the volcano, the road to Hana (although I wish I knew it was the road itself that was the attraction), the trip over to Lahaina, and much much more. Not enough to do in two days there.

Kauai? OMG. No words. It was actually our first stop, so seeing land for the first time in almost a week brought tear so everyone's eyes. And the treasures that island held. BREATHTAKING.

Oahu? Eh. It was exactly as I expected, except for the trip to the north shore to see the waves. There weren't any that day.

This just goes to show how cruisers are different. I would have given up both my stops on the Big Island of Hilo and Kona, for more time on Kauai and Maui.

The trip up the volcano, the road to Hana (although I wish I knew it was the road itself that was the attraction), the trip over to Lahaina, and much much more. Not enough to do in two days there.

Kauai? OMG. No words. It was actually our first stop, so seeing land for the first time in almost a week brought tear so everyone's eyes. And the treasures that island held. BREATHTAKING.

Oahu? Eh. It was exactly as I expected, except for the trip to the north shore to see the waves. There weren't any that day.

Yes, it all about personal preference. Glad we are all different though! Would be boring if we weren't

Jilly

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
FYI:

I am on the Carnival Legend to Hawaii and blogging the journey.

If you are interested in following along, click the link in my signature!

Jilly

Thank you for sharing your trip with us!

Angela