What to do in Nassau?

FJTinSC

• 2 weeks later...

OK - first time on this board, and I must admit I have no idea what The Dig is. I know about the Atlantis, but that's about it. I haven't been to Nassau in probably 10 years, and it is not a port I would pick to stop at. But the Atlantis does sound interesting. So, what's The Dig and how long do you do "it" there?

OK - first time on this board, and I must admit I have no idea what The Dig is. I know about the Atlantis, but that's about it. I haven't been to Nassau in probably 10 years, and it is not a port I would pick to stop at. But the Atlantis does sound interesting. So, what's The Dig and how long do you do "it" there?

Click on The Atantis' website, you'll see links there to The Dig:

http://www.atlantis.com/flash.aspx

To move to the next page on that website, click on the bottom edge of the bookpage.

I totally agree, I've not been to Nassau since my Fascination cruise in 2001. I hated it then....of course, you also have to consider that it was 110 degrees, with 100% humidity that day, and to top it off I was in the process of passing a kidney stone...so that might have had something to do with my distaste for absolutely EVERYTHING that particular day! LOL

So, since we are stopping again, I would like to give it a new try and see if it was the island, or just my miserable state that day!

Being that you are going to be there a short period of time I would stay in the downtown area for shopping, looking at some of the local attractions with the walking tour if this is your first time. If you want to just relax then head over to Atlantis.

Walking Tour

From Rawson Square, the tour offers a choice of three routes:

1. East Hill, Great Houses & Cathedral Route

North onto Parliament Street, past Jacaranda, a former residence of England’s Duke of Windsor; along East Hill Street, with its intriguing historic residences; over Duke Street, onto George Street, to Christ Church Cathedral and Vendue House.

2. Shirley Street & Fort Fincastle Route

East on Shirley Street, then south on Elizabeth Avenue to the Queen's Staircase, Fort Fincastle and the Water Tower, the island's highest point.

3. Blue Hill Road & National Art Gallery Route

West on Shirley Street, onto Duke Street, up Blue Hill Road, over West Hill Street to the National Art Gallery, the grand showcase of Bahamian art and culture

Begin your tour at:

1. Rawson Square

The center of Nassau, Rawson Square lies directly inland from Prince George Wharf, where many of the big cruise ships dock. It is the crossroads of the city, and everyone seems to pass through here, from the prime minister to bankers and local attorneys, to cruise-ship passengers, to shoppers from Paradise Island, to Junkanoo bands. On the square is the Churchill Building, where the controversial Prime Minister Lynden Pindling conducted his affairs for 25 years before his ouster in 1992. The current prime minister and some other government ministries use the building today. Look for the statue of Sir Milo Butler, a former shopkeeper who became the first governor of The Bahamas after Britain granted independence in 1973.

Across Rawson Square is:

2. Parliament Square

A statue of a youthful Queen Victoria dominates the square. To the right of the statue stand more Bahamian government office buildings, and to the left is the House of Assembly, the oldest governing body in continuous session in the New World. In the building behind the statue, the Senate meets; this is a less influential body than the House of Assembly. Some of these Georgian-style buildings date from the late 1700s and early 1800s.

The Supreme Court building stands next to the:

3. Nassau Public Library and Museum

This 1797 building was once the Nassau Gaol (jail). If you want to pop in here for a look, you can do so Monday through Thursday from 10am to 8pm, Friday from 10am to 5pm, and Saturday from 10am to 4pm. Chances are you will have seen greater libraries in your day. What's amusing is that the small prison cells are now lined with books. Another item of interest is the library's collection of historic prints and old documents dating from colonial days. It became the public library in 1873.

Across from the library on Shirley Street is the former site of the:

4. Royal Victoria Hotel

In its day, the hotel was the haunt of Confederate spies, royalty, smugglers of all sorts, and ladies and gentlemen. Horace Greeley pronounced it "the largest and most commodious hotel ever built in the tropics," and many agreed with this American journalist. The hotel experienced its heyday during the American Civil War. At the Blockade Runners' Ball, some 300 guests reportedly consumed 350 magnums of champagne. Former guests have included two British prime ministers, Neville Chamberlain, and his replacement, Winston Churchill. Prince Albert, consort of Queen Victoria, also stayed here once. The hotel closed in 1971. After it was destroyed by fire, it was demolished and razed to the ground. Today, on its former site sits one of Nassau's showcase parking lots. Ironically, the parking lot seems to be such a source of pride to the city that it is unlikely the Royal Victoria will ever be rebuilt, at least in that spot.

After imagining the former splendor of the Royal Victoria, head south along Parliament Street.

Take a Break--If you'd like to relax, try Café Matisse, Bank Lane and Bay Street, behind Parliament Square (tel. 242/356-7012). The house specialty is pizza topped with frutti di mare, or fresh local seafood. Lunch is served from noon to 3pm.

At the end of Parliament Street stands:

5. Nassau General Post Office

If you're a collector, you may want to purchase Bahamian stamps, which might be valuable. You can also mail letters and packages.

Armed with your colorful purchases, walk east (right) on East Hill Street and turn left onto East Street, then right onto Shirley Street, and head straight on Elizabeth Avenue. This will take you to the landmark:

6. Queen's Staircase

The stairway leads to Bennet's Hill. In 1793, slaves cut these 66 steps out of sandstone cliffs. They provided access from the center of Old Nassau to:

7. Fort Fincastle

Lord Dunmore built this fort in 1793. Designed in the shape of a paddle-wheel steamer, the fort was a place to look out for marauders who never came. It was eventually converted into a lighthouse, because it occupied the highest point on the island. The tower is more than 60m (200 ft.) above the sea, providing a panoramic view of Nassau and its harbor.

A small footpath leads down from the fort to Sands Road. Once you reach it, head west (left) until you approach East Street again, then bear right. When you come to East Hill Street (again), go left, because you will have returned to the post office.

Continue your westward trek along East Hill Street, which is the foothill of:

8. Prospect Ridge

This was the old dividing line between Nassau's rich and poor. The rich people lived along the waterfront, often in beautiful mansions. Black Bahamians went "over-the-hill" to work in these rich homes during the day but returned to Prospect Ridge to their own homes (most often shanties) at night.

Near the end of East Hill Street, you come to:

9. Gregory Arch

This tunnel was cut through the hill in 1850; after it opened, working-class black Bahamians didn't have to go "over-the-hill" -- and steep it was -- but could go through the arch to return home.

At the intersection with Market Street, turn right. On your right rises:

10. St. Andrew's Kirk (Presbyterian)

Called simply "the Kirk," the church dates from 1810 but has seen many changes over the years. In 1864, it was enlarged, and a bell tower was added along with other architectural features. This church had the first non-Anglican parishioners in The Bahamas.

On a steep hill, rising to the west of Market Street, you see on your left:

11. Government House

This house is the official residence of the governor-general of the archipelago, the queen's representative to The Bahamas. (The post today is largely ceremonial, as an elected prime minister does the actual governing.) This pink-and-white neoclassical mansion dates from the early 19th century. Poised on its front steps is a rather jaunty statue of Christopher Columbus.

Opposite the road from Government House on West Hill Street rises:

12. Graycliff

A Georgian-style hotel and restaurant from the 1720s, this stamping ground of the rich and famous was constructed by Capt. John Howard Graysmith in the 1720s. In the 1920s, it achieved notoriety when it was run by Polly Leach, a pal of gangster Al Capone. Later, under royal ownership, it attracted such famous guests as the Duke and Duchess of Windsor and Winston Churchill.

Upon leaving Graycliff, you will see a plaque embedded in a hill. The plaque claims that this site is the spot where the oldest church in Nassau once stood.

On the corner of West Hill Street and West Street is Villa Doyle, former home of William Henry Doyle, chief justice of the Bahamian Supreme Court in the 1860s and 1870s.

Opposite it stands:

13. St. Francis Roman Catholic Church

Constructed between 1885 and 1886, it was the first Catholic church in The Bahamas. The Archdiocese of New York raised the funds to construct it.

Continue along West Street until you reach Marlborough. Walk the short block that leads to Queen Street and turn right, passing the front of the American embassy. At the corner of Queen Street and Marlborough rises:

14. British Colonial Hilton

Built in 1923, the most famous hotel in The Bahamas was once run by Sir Harry Oakes, who was at the time the most powerful man on the islands and a friend of the Duke of Windsor. Oakes's murder in 1943, still unsolved, was called "the crime of the century." A set for several James Bond thrillers, this historic location was also the site of Fort Nassau. In the summer of 1999, it became a Hilton hotel.

One part of the hotel fronts George Street, where you'll find:

15. Vendue House

One of the oldest buildings in Nassau, Vendue House was once called the Bourse (Stock Exchange) and was the site of many slave auctions. It is now a museum.

Not far from Vendue House on George Street is:

16. Christ Church Cathedral

Dating from 1837, this Gothic Episcopal cathedral is the venue of many important state ceremonies, including the opening of the Supreme Court: a procession of bewigged, robed judges followed by barristers, accompanied by music from the police band.

If you turn left onto Duke Street and proceed along Market Street, you reach:

17. The Straw Market

The market -- largely destroyed by fire in the fall of 2001, and rebuilt by the Bahamian government -- opens onto Bay Street at Market Street. It has long been a favorite of cruise-ship passengers. You'll find not only straw products but all sorts of souvenirs and gifts, as well. Bahamian women at the market have traditionally woven baskets and braided visiting women's hair with beads.

Next, take the narrow little Market Range, leading to:

18. Woodes Rogers Walk

The walk was named for a former governor of the colony who was thrown into debtors' prison in London before coming back to Nassau as royal governor. Head east along this walk for a panoramic view of the harbor, with its colorful mail and sponge boats. Markets here sell vegetables, fish, and lots of conch.

The walk leads to:

19. Prince George Wharf

The wharf was constructed in the 1920s, the heyday of American Prohibition, to provide harbor space for hundreds of bootlegging craft defying the American blockade against liquor. The yacht of Queen Elizabeth II, the HMS Britannia, has been a frequent visitor over the years. Cruise ships also dock here.

I was told that the walking tour can be done in about 2hrs. It all depends on how well everyone in your party can hikes. You are going to have to balance your time by figuring you will lose 1hr of time getting off/back on your ship. (Maybe longer)

Archived