Athens DIY- After Acropolis advice?

dkata

doing a DIY tour of Athens using the X80 bus to/from ship. on Sunday 10/23

So we visit the Acropolis first and early in the AM (around 9ish)

then, I need advice on WHAT ORDER to see Mars Hill (to get pictures and find a geocache) , the Acropolis Museum, the Agora/forum and the Plaka. Maybe the temple of Zeus. don't need to see the changing of the guard at 11am unless we are already there. We can catch the x80 bus back at 4 pm from either Syntagma square or near the Acropolis Museum IFO Enzo Fur store.

Since we are walking it, what route and order of sites would you take to minimize walking?

then, I need advice on WHAT ORDER to see Mars Hill (to get pictures and find a geocache) , the Acropolis Museum, the Agora/forum and the Plaka. Maybe the temple of Zeus. don't need to see the changing of the guard at 11am unless we are already there. We can catch the x80 bus back at 4 pm from either Syntagma square or near the Acropolis Museum IFO Enzo Fur store.

Since we are walking it, what route and order of sites would you take to minimize walking?

I think the order that makes the most sense is to do Mars Hill either before or after you visit the Acropolis. I can't recall if it's behind fencing or not, so you may be able to do it before the Acropolis opens if you are there in time. But it is near the entrance to the Acropolis. Then I would hike down into the Agora/Forum (there is a trail to follow). Then exit the Agora/Forum (using a different entrance from which you entered) into the Plaka. Then you could walk to Syntagma Square to see the guards (even if not while they are changing). Catch the bus there, or if time, on to Temple of Zeus. From The Temple of Zeus, the bus at the Acropolis Museum would be closer than going back to Syntagma Square.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

Your trip is very doable as we visited most of these sites on a 2 day stay post cruise this summer and we mixed in shopping as well as some other sites. One caution I need to give you is to be prepared with plan B for transportation. While we were there both 1 day pre and 2 days post cruise either the buses or the metro or both decided to go out on strike. Reading these forums you will discover that is not an uncommon occurrence in Athens. While your route in town is all walkable you will need to get from port to town. They do give advance notice which is nice. Hopefully transit works but cabs may be your other alternative. Good luck, you should enjoy this day.

I think the order that makes the most sense is to do Mars Hill either before or after you visit the Acropolis. I can't recall if it's behind fencing or not, so you may be able to do it before the Acropolis opens if you are there in time. But it is near the entrance to the Acropolis. Then I would hike down into the Agora/Forum (there is a trail to follow). Then exit the Agora/Forum (using a different entrance from which you entered) into the Plaka. Then you could walk to Syntagma Square to see the guards (even if not while they are changing). Catch the bus there, or if time, on to Temple of Zeus. From The Temple of Zeus, the bus at the Acropolis Museum would be closer than going back to Syntagma Square.

thank you! This was exactly what I was looking for. It was also the route I was thinking about. Just wanted a second opinion.