Equinox Aug 25th 2016

Swampduck

Equinox Cruise 25th Aug 2016

Just a quick review. This is our 6 cruise which consist of 1 Royal Caribbean and the last 5 with Celebrity. It is also our 2nd time on the Equinox, we done the same cruise last August.

This year was our first year in a Concierge class cabin, we have always been in a balcony cabin when sailing with Celebrity. I have to admit, I am glad I didn’t pay any extra for the CC as I don’t think there is any part of it worth it.

First and foremost, we had a great cruise and although there were a few issues, it didn’t ruin our holiday, but it just made us more aware.

For each cruise we enjoy having a few drinks in the “Ensemble lounge” after we have had our meal, we enjoy the easy way of the bar, the comfy seats and the general ambience. This year was a little difference. The ensemble lounge had three regular staff, 2 of which were fantastic, the bar lady ( i didn't get her name) the waiter John, who had a great way with him, very friendly, but not overpowering. Then there was the other waiter, who obviously had made a wrong career move, he was very rude, quite obnoxious. He was so rude to me one the first night that John the other waiter apologised for him and took over serving me, but the damage was done, and after this continued for a few night, we stopped drinking in that bar. I know I should've complained, but I felt it was easier just to go to a different bar. We spoke to John on one evening while leaving Murano, he asked where we had been, I explained the situation and how rude I found the other waiter, he apologised again he said he ( the other waiter ) was young and had a lot to learn & that he had worked with him for 3 months and he had a bad attitude but he also said, Karma is a great thing, the other waiter was off the ship at the end of our cruise… he’s lost his contract! I wasn't really surprised. I know I should’ve complained about him, but I was on holiday, it was easier for me to move to another bar, the ship is big enough for that.

We always purchase the speciality meal package for 3 nights. Murano, Tuscan & Silk harvest. The food is excellent and is always a nice treat, cheap at half the price. Tuscan has always been our firm favourite, again, just the great atmosphere and easy way. But this year that was totally different. We ate in Murano first, it was my husband's birthday, we had a fantastic meal, I totally recommend it to anyone who has never tried it. Next we dined in Silk Harvest, it was good, we enjoyed it, but it’s no Quisne or Lawn Grill, but still good.

We saved the Tuscan Grill to near the end of our holiday (best to last) I was really surprised and disappointed as to how the service has changed, it was rushed, from start to finish, even though we asked them to give time between courses, this didn't happen. Our starters arrived…. so did the warm bread and antipasti (which has changed too) all at the same time! We had ordered a sharing plate of gnocchi and asked for it before our main course… it arrived along with our main course. We were then presented with the menu for dessert straight after clearing our plates away, which we declined. When the waiter asked was everything ok, I told him how I had found the evening, which was this: It has lost the “speciality” feel. It was rushed - through the hole meal. All the food arriving together and the service was just not what it was. It has changed, and unfortunately not for the better. The Tuscan Grill was always my favourite restaurant, that has now been taken by Murano.

The waiter apologised and went and spoke to his manager who offered us a complimentary lunch the next day, which was very nice of them, but that is not why I complained, I just wanted it noted that it had changed, it wasn't special any longer! We declined the lunch the next day. ( BTW I wasn’t looking any other compensation)

Thankfully these were the only issues we had. Our food & service in the main dining room for the whole cruise was great. Our room attendant Hector was brilliant. The waiters at the Sunset bar Murat, George & Gorge were very attentive & friendly. All in all we had another great holiday & made more fantastic memories. Sure isn’t that what holidays are all about.:)

Thanks for taking the time to share. We have been on the Equinox the last 2 Novembers and are booked for Nov 2017. Like you, Tuscan has always been top shelf, sad to hear of the change.

Did you go to the GastroBar, if so, what did you think?

Haha... funny you should ask that, we did... it is the Gastro Bar is where we moved to & loved it... it was really good..:D

We were on the same Equinox cruise as you and also enjoyed the Ensemble Lounge every night as we were dining in Blu.

You're absolutely right about the wonderful bar staff in this Lounge - Yana and Natta the two bartenders were efficient and friendly, and John was great too. We also had excellent service from Ivan - the "other" bar waiter. He always had our drinks ready the moment we walked into the Lounge. Just a note regarding Ivan "losing his contract" - he had been onboard since Feb 2 and was heading home at the end of our cruise after 7 months at sea. He already has a new contract lined up onboard Celebrity Silhouette starting on their TA crossing... So he can't have been that bad! I'm sorry you had a bad experience with Ivan but we certainly felt very well looked after by him and found him to be cheerful and friendly every evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on the same Equinox cruise as you and also enjoyed the Ensemble Lounge every night as we were dining in Blu.

You're absolutely right about the wonderful bar staff in this Lounge - Yana and Natta the two bartenders were efficient and friendly, and John was great too. We also had excellent service from Ivan - the "other" bar waiter. He always had our drinks ready the moment we walked into the Lounge. Just a note regarding Ivan "losing his contract" - he had been onboard since Feb 2 and was heading home at the end of our cruise after 7 months at sea. He already has a new contract lined up onboard Celebrity Silhouette starting on their TA crossing... So he can't have been that bad! I'm sorry you had a bad experience with Ivan but we certainly felt very well looked after by him and found him to be cheerful and friendly every evening.

Funny, if I'd have known this, I would've complained about him. He was rude & very obnoxious. It was the other waiter John who told us he was off the ship, hopefully "Ivan" only told you this to save face. Though we were not on our own thinking this, 3 of the staff in café Baco also mentioned this to us.

Anyhow, not to worry, the holiday is long over & I hope that if he does get a new contract that he will be friendly towards all guests travelling on the ship.

:)

Funny, if I'd have known this, I would've complained about him. He was rude & very obnoxious. It was the other waiter John who told us he was off the ship, hopefully "Ivan" only told you this to save face. Though we were not on our own thinking this, 3 of the staff in café Baco also mentioned this to us.

Anyhow, not to worry, the holiday is long over & I hope that if he does get a new contract that he will be friendly towards all guests travelling on the ship.

:)

I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion. We thought Ivan was great and he certainly made our holiday far more enjoyable (apart from the hangovers haha).

Swampduck...Thank you for the review. Equinox is our favorite S-Class ship having done two TA's onboard. Tuscan has always been our preferred speciality dining as well. The rib eye is a treat I look forward to on each trip. We will be onboard the Silhouette in November for the TA so we are anxious to see how she compares.

By the way, my folks were from N. Ireland, Dad from Hillborough and Mom from Lisburn. Many fond memories of the place.

Swampduck...Thank you for the review. Equinox is our favorite S-Class ship having done two TA's onboard. Tuscan has always been our preferred speciality dining as well. The rib eye is a treat I look forward to on each trip. We will be onboard the Silhouette in November for the TA so we are anxious to see how she compares.

By the way, my folks were from N. Ireland, Dad from Hillborough and Mom from Lisburn. Many fond memories of the place.

Hope you have a great cruise in November, its always good to have something to look forward to.

If your parent were from here, I hope you have visited. We have lots to offer & thankfully have turned a corner :)

Hope you have a great cruise in November, its always good to have something to look forward to.

If your parent were from here, I hope you have visited. We have lots to offer & thankfully have turned a corner :)

Oh yes..have ben many times. When I was a kid I used to spend summers on my Uncle's farm near Hillsborough. My last visit was just a few months ago for a family member's 70th in Analong. It is amazing to see how Belfast has changed for the better since the dark days of the 70's.

Oh yes..have ben many times. When I was a kid I used to spend summers on my Uncle's farm near Hillsborough. My last visit was just a few months ago for a family member's 70th in Analong. It is amazing to see how Belfast has changed for the better since the dark days of the 70's.

Thank you for your positive words. It's great to see Belfast full of tourists and even the Celebrity ships calling in along with all the other cruise lines. All we need now is the sun to shine & then we wouldn't have to go abroad! :D