Movement?

Guest AdiosReality

Guest AdiosReality

Hi guys, had a quick question. We always stay nearest the bottom almost direct middle of every ship we have been on, this next cruise on the Dawn we are Aloha deck room 641 balcony, our first balcony and the first time we are almost very top of the ship and at the back end. Should we be a bit fearful of heavy movement? I'm a little weary of this position, but couldn't give up the deal on the balcony! :rolleyes:

What itinerary?

Usually the movement is minimal, maybe a gentle rocking motion. Are you or anyone in your party prone to motion sickness? I'd be willing to bet you'll be fine if you'll be in the Caribbean. Crossing the Atlantic/Pacific will be a lot more motion.

Most of your question can be answered by the conditions at the time of sailing. IF the seas are rough, then you will feel more movement towards the back of the ship. In fact, if they become rough, the entire ship will feel more movement. But after usually having cabins more aft, I will guarantee you do actually feel more movement back there. I would just make sure to come prepared with some sort of seasickness prevention, just in case, since you seem to have someone in your party that is prone to motion sickness.

Guest AdiosReality

We are leaving October 18th 2006 to the 11 day Mexican Riviera. We all have pretty good sea legs, but our last cruise to the Riviera my mother was sick for a day, and there is always a chance of one of us getting sick! I really don't want ot take that chance but we made a killing on the balcony room. We figured if we kept the door to the balcony open the fresh air might help a bit, any experience in this? Does fresh air matter? We deffinitly will bring sea bands or something. I heard herbal ginger works well too. Thanks for the help I really appreciate it! :rolleyes:

Adios

If going to Mexico RT from San Francisco, you will probably feel more movement Northbound than on the Southbound leg. The Japanese Current flows South along the Left Coast, so when going South, you are going with the current, and when going North, you are "bucking" the current.

Exiting San Francisco Bay, often bumpy outside the Golden Gate, in area known as "potato patch", where the currents exiting the Bay collide with the aforementioned Japanese Current.

A little tip that I learned on a cruise once...be sure to read it though before you laugh it off.

Go to the bar and order a bitters and soda. It's the most disgusting thing that you will drink but it does the trick!

We did an American Hawaiian Cruise years ago and our cabin steward told us about it. I drank the tall glass of the disgusting stuff with breakfast and never felt the least bit sick again and we had some VERY rough waters.

Good luck!

Yes fresh air helps alot when you feel really bad. What also helps is being outside, so your balcony should help alot if you feel queasy. But the best bit of help has been mentioned and that is take medication or what you so desire for sea sickness before you are sick. Check weather conditions before you sail so you may have an idea to the sea contions. Look for wind speeds and for storms out at sea and that can give you a basic idea of sea conditions.

Enjoy

Got back from the Dawn R/T SF to Mexican Riviera on 10/21. I was all freaked out before we sailed about the seas, the smaller ship, aloha deck, etc. Everything was fine!!! I took my non-drowsy dramamine starting the morning we left and was fine the entire trip. Potato patch was fine, going south was fine, Cabo to San Diego sunny with some rolling and San Diego to SF slight seas but cold. I worried for nothing. Just go prepared and you will be fine! Had a balcony cabin and loved it!! Have fun!!!

Ginger tablets and drops are available at the health food store. Or ginger ale. It works for a slight queasy feeling, but take meclizine or bonine with you as well to be safe and prepared. We have never been really seasick, but always travel with our "seasickness kit" just to be safe, and we have worn our sea bands and taken ginger from it when in doubt.

We had some really rough seas - the ship was rocking and rolling a lot & a lot of people were sick and missed dinners - when crossing the Pacific to Hawaii from CA, but never needed more than the ginger and sea bands and certainly never missed our dinnertime. :-)

A positive attitude helps, too!

Guest AdiosReality

I am all about positive attitude, I'm going on a cruise! Woohoo! Does ginger have any after taste or smell I should be aware of? Yes I will purchase some sea bands and get some non-drowsey dramamine. Maybe I'll get some regular too, just in-case I can't sleep at night. I don't know why I am worrying, really I don't. I have never been sick, maybe from over-eating :D We did hit some pretty rough seas once on the Carnival Elation Mexican Riviera from LA, we were going UP......and then DOWN. My poor sister slept the entire cruise, she gets motion sickness easily, the only time we ever saw her was docked in port. But my mother and I thought it was fun! We got on the back of the ship and didn't realize how big the swells really were until we saw a ship in the distance, when we went UP, the ship's lights dissappeared (sp?) then we went back DOWN, and the ship in the distance seemed to be high above us. Kinda funny really. So I have yet to be sick, when I really should have been, but there is always a chance, the older I get the more possible it is. :rolleyes:

Archived