Just Curious About Staggered Check In

Cinders411

Does anyone have any idea how many people are allowed in at one time? We have 11 - 11:30 on the Vista in Nov and wonder how many others may have the same time frame. I am thinking hundreds?

I would guess they give about 300 to 400 people per timeslot. They would have to when checking in 3500+ guests by 3pm. However, I've never seen more than about 75 in line during any timeslot.

ok when I checked in there wasn't any check in time but when I printed my boarding pass it said between 12:30 and 3:00 pm so is that when I board

Check-in time is NOT boarding time.

IF your port is one of the ones enforcing check-in times, you must choose a time on the "check-in" portion of your on-line check-in for your cruise.

Check the Carnival website for the list of ports participating and proceed accordingly.

Edited by ScottsSweetie

ok when I checked in there wasn't any check in time but when I printed my boarding pass it said between 12:30 and 3:00 pm so is that when I board

It looks like your port isn't using staggered check-in.

Edited by cruznjan
Typo

this is what it says about boarding Unless otherwise noted below, guests may check-in and board between 12:30pm and 3:00pm. The ship departs at 4:00pm.arding!!

You can go to the terminal at 12:30 for check-in. You will know boarding arrangements after.

I'm curious. We've been cruising for 20 years on 5 different cruise lines and have never had a problem with check-in or boarding. Why is Carnival trying to fix a process that works fine. I will say we have only sailed Carnival twice, both in Europe.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm curious. We've been cruising for 20 years on 5 different cruise lines and have never had a problem with check-in or boarding. Why is Carnival trying to fix a process that works fine. I will say we have only sailed Carnival twice, both in Europe.

If you have only sailed Carnival twice:

Then you haven't experienced waiting in a line for an hour just to go through security. Nor have you had the pleasure if standing in line yet another line for 45 minutes to check in. Then if you are lucky, you get to sit and wait until they call general boarding. And while you got there early, all those that got there after you and have a higher boarding number push and shove to get on. By then tension is high and they just let everyone board.

It is so much nicer now with the staggered check in. If people follow the rule and arrive at their time everyone just moves smoothly thru the process.

We were one of the first to try it at Galveston in December and I like it. We picked the earliest time and got in line behind about 15 people. We were in the waiting lounge in about 20 minutes. We were in boarding group six so we had to wait about 35 minutes to get called to board.

I believe Carnival wasn't the first to implement this. I think I read somewhere that Princess was doing it also. Seeing how well it works I would guess other will follow suit.

We were one of the first to try it at Galveston in December and I like it. We picked the earliest time and got in line behind about 15 people. We were in the waiting lounge in about 20 minutes. We were in boarding group six so we had to wait about 35 minutes to get called to board.

I believe Carnival wasn't the first to implement this. I think I read somewhere that Princess was doing it also. Seeing how well it works I would guess other will follow suit.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but according to everything I've read, Princess still has only suggested boarding times.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but according to everything I've read, Princess still has only suggested boarding times.

You are correct. While the Princess email indicates staggered time by deck for those without priority boarding, it is not strictly enforced.

The reason then for being referred to on some posts as "suggested" only.

I have seen most of the comments support "staggered checkin"....curious to know if the same people who like it, would also support it if they had gotten 1 or 2 pm checkin as opposed to a 10:30 or 11 am checkin?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by First and Ten

Does anyone have any idea how many people are allowed in at one time? We have 11 - 11:30 on the Vista in Nov and wonder how many others may have the same time frame. I am thinking hundreds?

i will be there, i also selected the 11 to 11:30 time slot for the vista in nov

If you have only sailed Carnival twice:

Then you haven't experienced waiting in a line for an hour just to go through security. Nor have you had the pleasure if standing in line yet another line for 45 minutes to check in. Then if you are lucky, you get to sit and wait until they call general boarding. And while you got there early, all those that got there after you and have a higher boarding number push and shove to get on. By then tension is high and they just let everyone board.

It is so much nicer now with the staggered check in. If people follow the rule and arrive at their time everyone just moves smoothly thru the process.

You're right, I have never experienced the problems you describe. Makes me curious why Carnival has such problems while other cruise lines, some with much larger ships, run much more efficient operations????

You're right, I have never experienced the problems you describe. Makes me curious why Carnival has such problems while other cruise lines, some with much larger ships, run much more efficient operations????

It was anything but efficient when we cruised out of NYC with NCL. Not much of a wait for security, but then a 90 minute wait in line to check in. By the time we got through that, they were already boarding, so that was good. We even made sure to arrive later to avoid the initial rush.

Nov 27th? We have the same time slot.

Hoping it will "replace" having FFTF as we were unable to secure it for this cruise.

We went on a Disney cruise 3 yrs ago, and we had to choose a check in time. So, I just assumed that every cruise line was this way.

Then we went on our first Carnival cruise last year... Let's just say I was SO glad that I had purchased FFTF!!

We are cruising out of Miami in Nov, and I have to say, I welcome the staggered check in and am curious to see how we like it!