Underwater Flash diffuser??

Raceroc

I purchased a Canon A510 digital camera with the underwater case.

When taking flash photos underwater do I need to use that diffuser thing? Or am I OK without it?

Interesting question! Light tends to refract differently underwater than it does topside. Fill your bathtub with water and put something colorful that sinks and use your Canon A510 digital camera and test it. Remember that your tub reflects the bright porcelin but see if you get a good exposure.

Photocruiser

The long story is: One of the things that happens when you take shots underwater with a flash is something called backscatter. It dependes greatly on the particulate matter in the water though. If the water is really clear than you can probably not use the diffuser, and be fine. If there is a lot of particulate matter you're going to get some backscatter no matter what. The only way to get away from backscatter entirely is to use an external flash, but that is a whole other bucket of worms.

The short story is: use the diffuser, better safe than sorry

• 1 month later...

Without a diffuser or external flash you'll get a ton of backscatter from the particles in the water as mentioned above. Here's a pic I took with my S45 in its underwater housing. You can see how annoying the backscatter is. If you're lucky enough to get a really bright day and don't go deep, see if you can shoot without the flash and still get a decent exposure.

IMG_2019.jpg

Archived