self-assist debarkation

Sheltieluv

Hi everyone. We will be using the self-assist debarkation when arriving in Southampton. Could someone please tell me if this is something I have to arrange right away after boarding in Brooklyn, or can I wait a day or two? Do they limit the number of people who can use the self-assist? (we're on deck 5, if that matters at all.) Will there still be colored luggage tags that we will need to attach?

Thanks so much!

Edited by Sheltieluv

Greetings from an SU alumnus!

You may wait a few days before telling the Purser's Office you are going to "self-help" yourself off the ship.

To my knowledge there are no limits to the number of "self-help" passengers.

No need for luggage tags (unless something has changed).

Edited by Classiccruiser777

Greetings from an SU alumnus!

You may wait a few days before telling the Purser's Office you are going to "self-help" yourself off the ship.

To my knowledge there are no limits to the number of "self-help" passengers.

No need for luggage tags (unless something has changed).

You will probably receive a 'self debark' plastic card to show/ hand in when you show your cruise card when you debark,

You will have to appear in person at the Purser's desk to get a "self help" card no later than the evening before disembarkation. They want to make sure a passenger understands that self help means just that - one must be able to take everything off the ship in one trip with absolutely no assistance whatsoever.

Some time ago a member reported that she was waiting to be scanned out when another passenger attempted to re-board the ship to "...get her other bags.":eek: She didn't wait around to see how Cunard handles these situations.

You will have to appear in person at the Purser's desk to get a "self help" card no later than the evening before disembarkation. They want to make sure a passenger understands that self help means just that - one must be able to take everything off the ship in one trip with absolutely no assistance whatsoever.

Some time ago a member reported that she was waiting to be scanned out when another passenger attempted to re-board the ship to "...get her other bags.":eek: She didn't wait around to see how Cunard handles these situations.

Nice summary, BlueRiband.

If you are able to maneuver all of your belongings, at once, Sheltieluv, this can be a fine choice. If you can't, it creates a problems for everyone else who is self-disembarking.

Self-disembarkation takes place quite early---you are literally first off the ship (immediately after the entertainment performers). You don't need luggage tags because you do not put your luggage in the hallway the night before.

One of the nicest parts of going east is that the British do their customs checks in the middle of the ocean (second or third day, I think) so there is no queue going through customs when you arrive in Southampton. You leave the ship and enter England :) without the delay of a queue in the terminal...

Jimmybean

... Some time ago a member reported that she was waiting to be scanned out when another passenger attempted to re-board the ship to "...get her other bags.":eek: She didn't wait around to see how Cunard handles these situations.
Hi BlueRiband,

I also observed a very similar incident to the one witnessed by the lady you mention above.

I was disembarking a few years back, paused to have my card scanned as I left the ship, became aware of the raised voice of a young lady having an argument at the opposite security desk.

Although I was only there a few seconds, I was there long enough to overhear that she'd taken two cases through security (I would pass them in the gangway to the terminal) but wanted to return to collect her remaining bags that she'd "only left in the Lobby for a minute".

Security were not allowing her to reboard; I overheard a senior guy tell her that she would have to wait until they had someone available to collect the bags from the Lobby. She was not happy.

I stress this because people who haven't done self-disembarking previously should know that there are NO trolleys and you really DO have to be able to carry ALL your bags in ONE go.

Best wishes BlueRiband.

I want to thank you all for your detailed replies. We will be able to handle our luggage with no problems, so the self-debarkation is a great option for us. I thought perhaps there might be a luggage tag to prove that we're not trying to "sneak off" the ship or jumping line. However, now I know that I will need a "self-help" card. I also did not know about clearing customs on board/no queue in the terminal.

So we just have to find our driver as soon as we leave the terminal? Will 8 a.m. be a good time to have him there? We are spending 3 nights in London, have never been there (or Europe for that matter), and are looking forward to getting our adventure underway as soon as we debark.

I thought I had done due diligence, but I learn something new with every post. Guess I'd better do some more reading/research.....:) Thanks again!

For a US cell phone to work in the UK you will need a global-capable phone and a one-month global plan from your phone company. I had a lot of fun with Verizon on this.:rolleyes: Had to remove the SIM card (about the size of my pinkie nail) and read off a 20-digit serial number to the agent for it to be activated.

Seriously?! We have Verizon as well and I'm going to use the 30-day International Plan. Haven't called it in yet. Thanks for the heads-up!!!

Stuff like this I would not make up. The International Plan could not be activated on line because my phone's SIM card was not in the system. I took about 40 minutes - on my land line as my cell had to be opened up - to get everything settled. (And I fortunately had a magnifier handy.) Don't wait until five minutes before you leave the house.

You should be able to get GBP from a local bank. I personally don't leave home without about $100-$150 US equivalent in local currency. Should I encounter any travel problems at least I have enough local currency for a taxi ride and a meal. Taxis in some parts of the world take plastic, other places not. Cash is king.

I've not seen an ATM in the terminals in Southampton but then I wasn't looking for one. The ones that I used in London last year were of the older "card eating/spit back" type than the "dip" readers more common in New York. It always makes me nervous that it might choose to digest mine and of course after banking hours. I'm also told that in the UK it's either a "cash machine" or a "hole in the wall". "ATM" is Americanese and some might not know what you are asking for unless they routinely encounter American tourists.:D

Edited by BlueRiband

BluRiband, I would love to pack you in a suitcase and take you along......thanks so much for helping with the Verizon scenario and also the currency concern. Even though the exchange rate might not be as favorable if I obtain GBPs and euros (we're going to Ireland as well) before we leave the States, I'm certainly going to do it. I would rather lose a little $ with a less favorable exchange, than lose my mind worrying about it! The "what if" questions are running through my head.

Thank you again from a first-timer!

The ones that I used in London last year were of the older "card eating/spit back" type than the "dip" readers more common in New York. It always makes me nervous that it might choose to digest mine and of course after banking hours. I'm also told that in the UK it's either a "cash machine" or a "hole in the wall". "ATM" is Americanese and some might not know what you are asking for unless they routinely encounter American tourists.:D

I'm intrigued to what a 'dip' card reader is?! In the U.K. we do call ATMs 'cash machines' but I think that most people would completely understand ATM too :) we watch lots of US films and TV so we speak some of your lingo [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Nice summary, BlueRiband.

One of the nicest parts of going east is that the British do their customs checks in the middle of the ocean (second or third day, I think) so there is no queue going through customs when you arrive in Southampton. You leave the ship and enter England :) without the delay of a queue in the terminal...

Jimmybean

I don't like to be picky, but it is the immigration inspection that occurs en route - and a most civilised benefit it is. The customs inspection, such as it is, is on the pier. Almost everyone goes through the green channel (nothing to declare) and there are only occasionally spot checks. We have had about ten arrivals in Southampton since we were last pulled aside at a green channel spot check. (We were waved through after three brief questions.)

So few people use the red channel that on most arrivals I have seen only a phone there and not a customs officer.

I don't like to be picky, but it is the immigration inspection that occurs en route - and a most civilised benefit it is. The customs inspection, such as it is, is on the pier. Almost everyone goes through the green channel (nothing to declare) and there are only occasionally spot checks. We have had about ten arrivals in Southampton since we were last pulled aside at a green channel spot check. (We were waved through after three brief questions.)

So few people use the red channel that on most arrivals I have seen only a phone there and not a customs officer.

Thanks for clarification, David. I kind of struggled when I posted as to what the shipboard process should be called: immigration or customs… Since our visits have never been with immigration in mind, I guessed customs was the correct term. I appreciate learning as I go---appreciate the lesson.

Jimmybean