Surf lesson excursions in Lahaina or Waikiki?

t13nif

I would like to do a beginners surf lesson and have come across two excursions that offer this, one in Lahaina and one at Waikiki. Does anyone have recommendations as to which one i should choose? I've never surfed before and am not the best swimmer, and have the usual neurotic fears of undertows and sharks.

I would like to do a beginners surf lesson and have come across two excursions that offer this, one in Lahaina and one at Waikiki. Does anyone have recommendations as to which one i should choose? I've never surfed before and am not the best swimmer, and have the usual neurotic fears of undertows and sharks.

Waikiki is the best place in the world to learn surfing.

I'd use Aloha Beach Services in front of the Moana Hotel.

My adult D just took a surf class (small class size, 3 plus instructor) in Lahaina last week through Maui Surfer Girls - my D isn't a strong swimmer and she was riding waves within an hour. One thing we liked about Maui Surfer Girls is they give back to their community by providing scholarships for kids to learn surfing. By the way, the classes are not just for girls/women, there were 2 guys as well, one in her class and one in another.

It was incredible to see how they instruct and got everyone up on their feet!

Waikiki is a beautiful place to learn to surf but the paddle out can be long.

I like Lahaina, where I learned to surf at the age of 40 with with my kids. I think the beach by the pier in Lahaina is called Baby Beach, and it is protected by a coral reef so no worries about sharks and strong undertow.

We just returned from a visit to Hawaii and while on Waikiki I saw surf lessons across from Kapiolani Park where students were having huge success. This location in Waikiki also does not have the long paddle out.

tea4ular gives a good recommendation, and you can also look at Trip Advisor for surf schools with good reviews. Don't hesitate to call them and schedule your lesson prior to your arrival. Hope you enjoy it, Cherie