Differences Between Escape and Epic

kapcruiser

Escape is from the breakaway-plus class and the epic is from the Epic class.

EPIC

Gross Register

155,873 Tonnage

Guest Capacity ( double occupancy) 4,100

crew 1,724

Overall Lenght 1,081ft

Max Beam 171ft

Year built 2010

19 deck

Norwegian Escape

Gross Register

164,600 Tonnage

Guest Capacity (double occupancy)

Ship Crew 1733

Overall Length

1,069ft

Max Beam 136ft

Year Built

20 deck

 The Epic is longer and wider than the Escape but the Escape has an extra deck

Edited by Orleanscruiser

Let's say it this way:

Epic was NCL's first attempt in megaships that many agree failed in many ways (starting from the poor technical design choices like reverting back to traditional propulsion with a fixed propeller instead of pod-type propulsion).

Since then NCL built Breakaway class (two ships) where they fixed many of Epic's design flaws and Escape is the second iteration of this process being the first ship in Breakaway Plus class.

I enjoyed my Epic cruise, however, it was a port intensive Mediterranean cruise, so we really didn't get to utilize the ship. We were so worn out from tours in the evening.

With that being said, i enjoyed the Escape more. Candlelight dining on the Waterfront, better cabin setup. I enjoyed the Waterslides more on Escape also.

I would definitely go on Epic again, if the price and itinerary is right.

However, given a choice, Escape wins for me.

The ships are drastically different. If you are really looking to understand these 2 ships, your best bet will be to start at the NCL website, where you can review dining, entertainment, and view deck plans to see the differences.

We loved both ships a lot, but for completely different reasons.

The room design on the Epic is what most folks complain about. I really did not even care about that I never felt inconvenienced. I suppose if you have a issue with the bathroom or shower door maybe. Getaway was awesome I liked Epic most of the stuff we did was kind of the same. there were a few things that felt different. I cant wait to go on the Escape I like a few of the updated features.

A couple of key differences.

First the lack of waterfront or promenade on the Epic. The small space they allocated for the jogging track and shuffleboard is buried behind lifeboats. The Epic is the only ship I have sailed on where I felt disconnected from the sea. (NCL's creation of the Waterfront for the breakaway class and breakaway plus solved that problem big time!)

If you're a Haven passenger, the Epic doesn't have a retractable roof in the Haven, so that space may be unusable at times due to the weather.

Additionally the Escape just has more to do...bigger ropes course, more water slides, more dining options, etc.

I would sail the Epic again if the price were right, but the Escape is my favorite ship by far.

I would have to cast my vote to avoid Epic if possible. It was of all my cruises the least enjoyable. I really enjoy the basics of cruising and Epic downplays many of those features. I found most of the features used to "sell" the ship are extra cost + are only utilized for very short periods during the cruise. The design of the ship is another thing... NCL had the right intention when they sent her to Europe. She should have stayed there... Forever...

Epic has the best pool deck and Spice H2O of any of the NCL big ships. The pool deck is light years better than GA, BA, or Escape's.

Did you notice the disclaimer "of NCL's big ships" and he didn't include the Pearl or the Gem in the comparison?

That's the problem with NCL's big ships, they have more than twice the passengers for the same amount of pool space as you will find on the Pearl or Gem. The way people pack into the pool area shoulder to shoulder and hip to hip is absolutely disgusting. I avoid it like the plague. And packing that many people around a small pool, plague does come to mind.

Edited by Lido_Deck

I can't imagine letting the bathroom design of the Epic affect my opinion of the ship.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

There's really no bathroom so to speak since all the fixtures are divided up and spread out around the small cabin. Get back to us, though, after you do experience the small sink next to the vanity/desk in the cabin where it is impossible not to splash water everywhere when the man of the cabin shaves or anyone tries to wash their face.

Both ships are great!!!! I personally like the Epic better because it has a better pool and deck area! The Escape... I could not even get near the pool... Also, Spice H2O on the Epic is better.... it has a pool! The room is a room as far as I'm concerned... only there to sleep :) I have to say... I am booked on the Epic in December and I will miss the District Brew House!! We went every night on the Escape.

Epic has the best pool deck and Spice H2O of any of the NCL big ships. The pool deck is light years better than GA, BA, or Escape's.

Agreed, but in every other way I would take the Escape.

If only we could cut the top deck off the Epic and glue it onto the top the Escape.

Agreed, but in every other way I would take the Escape.

If only we could cut the top deck off the Epic and glue it onto the top the Escape.

I also preferred the Escape, but I did like Epic better than Getaway. Your suggestion would be PERFECT!

Also for those who care, the spa on Epic has an outdoor deck, and it does not on Escape.

Did you notice the disclaimer "of NCL's big ships" and he didn't include the Pearl or the Gem in the comparison?

That's the problem with NCL's big ships, they have more than twice the passengers for the same amount of pool space as you will find on the Pearl or Gem. The way people pack into the pool area shoulder to shoulder and hip to hip is absolutely disgusting. I avoid it like the plague. And packing that many people around a small pool, plague does come to mind.

The post is asking for a comparison of Escape and Epic. Sorry if my post confused you.

Both ships are great!!!! I personally like the Epic better because it has a better pool and deck area! The Escape... I could not even get near the pool... Also, Spice H2O on the Epic is better.... it has a pool! The room is a room as far as I'm concerned... only there to sleep :) I have to say... I am booked on the Epic in December and I will miss the District Brew House!! We went every night on the Escape.

We will miss the District also! My husband and I went every night. It was virtually empty which seemed weird because we loved trying new beers.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app