Guest Services and insulin

wannagonow123

If I have to store insulin at guest services, will I have to stand in the long lines in order to get my medicine when I need it? I will not have a mini bar for an upcoming cruise.

Earlier this year we were on a B2B on the Triumph with the worst cabin steward we ever had. When we found that we had no mini bar, we explained that we needed ice for my insulin 2 times daily. I was told had to choose day or night cleaning and he was not allowed in my cabin any other time. I asked how this could be, that I was allowed both cleanings, and I was told to take the matter up with GS. They confirmed his claim, but would bet with the Hotel manager. Needless to say, every night I had to go get ice to keep my insulin cool. Half of the time we did not get a daily planner either. When we did, it was left on our bed. (After he said he was unable to enter our room.)

I know Carnival has to make reasonable accommodations for this. I don't think there would be a problem with Guest services keeping my insulin, but I have seen the line stretch down the hallway, and I believe I should not have to wait in that line. I have cruised quite a bit, on different cruise lines. I have never had to figure out my own way to keep my insulin cool. I enjoy traveling with Carnival, and will be platinum shortly, however my next cruise will be on the Sunshine, that has no mini-bar.

Any suggestions?

This may be worth a phone call to your doctor or pharmacist.MOST forms of insulin now can be stored at room temps once they have been opened/in use.I have been keeping my vials , once opened , at room temp for some time now with no issues. I am on Novalog though and you may not be.

Not trying to be a know it all. Some people are unaware of this and knowing this has made my travel life MUCH easier!

P.S. I still use it as an excuse to carry on a hard sided cooler and get ice whenever I want it :)

Edited by Boats Aint Just 4F ishing

No, you won't store your insulin at Guest Services. You'll store it in your cabin in a meds cooler, for which there is limited availability and a $70 deposit. (You do have to stand in line at GS to get this on the first day, which is an unavoidable hassle.) Call the Special Needs desk at 305-599-2600 ext. 70025 to confirm this.

Caro

Just buy an insulin cooler pack, they're as cheap as $10 on Amazon.

And every insulin I've ever used didn't actually need to be refrigerated, it just helps it last, and since you're using it then and there, it's not necessary.

If I have to store insulin at guest services, will I have to stand in the long lines in order to get my medicine when I need it? I will not have a mini bar for an upcoming cruise.

Earlier this year we were on a B2B on the Triumph with the worst cabin steward we ever had. When we found that we had no mini bar, we explained that we needed ice for my insulin 2 times daily. I was told had to choose day or night cleaning and he was not allowed in my cabin any other time. I asked how this could be, that I was allowed both cleanings, and I was told to take the matter up with GS. They confirmed his claim, but would bet with the Hotel manager. Needless to say, every night I had to go get ice to keep my insulin cool. Half of the time we did not get a daily planner either. When we did, it was left on our bed. (After he said he was unable to enter our room.)

I know Carnival has to make reasonable accommodations for this. I don't think there would be a problem with Guest services keeping my insulin, but I have seen the line stretch down the hallway, and I believe I should not have to wait in that line. I have cruised quite a bit, on different cruise lines. I have never had to figure out my own way to keep my insulin cool. I enjoy traveling with Carnival, and will be platinum shortly, however my next cruise will be on the Sunshine, that has no mini-bar.

Any suggestions?

What insulin are you on?? What type must be refrigerated once opened or is this just a preference?

Call Carnival and have a note added to your reservation that you need a fridge for Insulin. Also, when you pull up you reservation on-line, make sure diabetic is noted next to the persons name.

We have always had a fridge added to our room at no cost for our insulin as well as a sharps container. Unfortunately, it takes up the only outlet in the cabin and be careful, once the cabin steward unplugged it to vacuum and never plugged the fridge back in.

We always carry extra vials of unopened insulin with us. (2 kinds). Unopened insulin needs to be refrigerated. Insulin that has been open can be left out for 30 days. We always leave our freezer bag with guest services to keep frozen in their fridge and pick it up the morning we debark. We do not wait on the long line. We just stand to the side and ask near the priority line for the freezer bag and it takes them 20 seconds to get it for us.

You just may find a min-fridge in your cabin. I realize that not all cabins on Sunshine have mini-fridges, but the last 2 times we sailed on Sunshine, we had fridges in our cabin, interior cabins on deck 7.

Plus, aren't you able to request a mini-fridge? Similar to the meds cooler, it's first come first served limited supply etc?

I would think someone on insulin would realize that it is "up to them" to make sure their medication is kept at the desired temperature, its called responsibility for one's own health. Need it frozen: check with the medical department who would be happy to store it for you...but it is then the responsibility of the user to procure the medication at a time convenient to the staff, not them. Also, if I needed ice for a medication I'd be making a quick trip to the Lido deck or to any bar on ship, explain my need and someone would be more than happy to fill my ice bag. Why would I think it the responsibility of the room steward to keep me in ice 24/7.

I often think we expect too much from a cruise ship and a cruise staff. If we choose to sail with a medical issue of any type it is our responsibility to make sure we follow through and keep our medication safe, not the cruise line. Or am I missing something?

Several years ago we sailed on the Triumph and requested a mini frig when we booked since one of my cabin mates uses insulin that must be kept cold and a sharps disposal container.

Even though we were assured it would be there it wasn't. Immediately we placed a call to Guest Services. Within an hour they had found a guest who was willing to give up their mini frig and it was moved into our cabin.

Many years before we encountered the same situation on another ship that only had mini frigs in their suites and the solution was to call room service when she needed to take her insulin and they would bring one of the vials to our cabin. Worked like a charm.

MARAPRINCE

Unfortunately, it takes up the only outlet in the cabin and be careful, once the cabin steward unplugged it to vacuum and never plugged the fridge back in.

it depends on the vacuum cleaner they use. in most of my carnival cruises, they use the odd european outlet instead of the normal american outlet. none of my stuff has gotten unplugged due to cabin cleaning.

I would think someone on insulin would realize that it is "up to them" to make sure their medication is kept at the desired temperature, its called responsibility for one's own health. Need it frozen: check with the medical department who would be happy to store it for you...but it is then the responsibility of the user to procure the medication at a time convenient to the staff, not them. Also, if I needed ice for a medication I'd be making a quick trip to the Lido deck or to any bar on ship, explain my need and someone would be more than happy to fill my ice bag. Why would I think it the responsibility of the room steward to keep me in ice 24/7.

I often think we expect too much from a cruise ship and a cruise staff. If we choose to sail with a medical issue of any type it is our responsibility to make sure we follow through and keep our medication safe, not the cruise line. Or am I missing something?

If I needed ice for medication, I'd just go get it and not fret making calls and waiting for it. Problem so easily solved.

We will be on the sunshine next October and asked for a fridge for meds and to keep drinks cold to take the others forms not needing refrigeration and they pretty much just flat out said no that's not possible and I asked pvps and special services. Their suggestions were our own cooler or renting a med cooler or keeping it in the infirmary refrigerator and making sure you go and take it during their open hours. This didn't seem like a good solution to me and much more trouble then it needs to be but nothing I can do except take a cooler or be inconvenienced which I will be anyways from trying to carry it, push a walker and my luggage. As I don't trust porters to handle my luggage as I've heard too many stories of things missing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Forums mobile app

They allow you to bring your own cooler or use one of theirs for the week with a deposit and ice is very easy to get so honestly I don't see how this could be an issue for anyone. Yes a fridge in the room is even better but many of the fridges do not keep things down to a safe temp and if your meds needs kept at a certain temperature I wouldn't trust it to their mini fridge. On ice and in a luke warm/slightly cool fridge for a week is not the same thing. Take 5 short minutes out of your day to grab some ice and go on with your vacation stress free, don't trust someone else to handle your meds correctly.

You can also purchase a frio pack prior to your cruise. These are designed to keep your insulin cold, and for travel. They work by immersing in water and letting it evaporate to cool. I use one on all my cruises and it keeps my insulin adequately cooled. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I guess I'll just get the ice myself. I will say, I use an insulin pump, and my physician told me to keep the insulin refrigerated whenever possible, open or not. I hand warm when filling the reservoir.

I really don't think I am being unreasonable requesting ice 2x a day. They are right there in the morning and in the evenings. We are not messy folks, and on numerous occasions, have told the steward to not even service our room. They sure take advantage of that.

I use insulin.

My insulin is good for 28 days un-refrigerated, so long as it is kept below 86 degrees F (30 degrees C).

Check with the manufacturer

Most insulin users know this. My son is a Type 1 Diabetic. He wears a pump. When we travel we always take 1 extra unopened bottle of insulin in case one breaks, sometimes 2 if our warm insulin is low AND a bottle of unopened Lantus in case the insulin pump stops working. These unopened bottles need to be kept refrigerated because they will not be used in the 28 days.

My son has been a diabetic for 11 years. We travel a lot. I have never been told by any hotel or ship ( 7 cruises since diagnose) that I could not get a fridge for his insulin and I would be really pissed if anyone tried to tell me that now.

Edited by disneylover89

My son is Type 1 as well and also on a pump. We just get the medicine cooler from guest service when we get on board. It works great and his extra unopened vials fit perfectly in there. Before we debark we return it back to guest service. They do charge $70 but refund when you return cooler.

My son is Type 1 as well and also on a pump. We just get the medicine cooler from guest service when we get on board. It works great and his extra unopened vials fit perfectly in there. Before we debark we return it back to guest service. They do charge $70 but refund when you return cooler.

I have never heard of these. They always gave us a fridge. This has been on Disney and Carnival.

I have never heard of these. They always gave us a fridge. This has been on Disney and Carnival.

It is kind of like this one.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Medical-insulin-Cooler-mini-fridge-portable-refrigerator/32624844398.html?spm=2114.40010508.4.50.oJAOKt

If I remember correctly the first time he cruised they didn't have extra fridges and told us they had this one. Now this is what we always get.