Have any of you skipped the dining room altogether?

AidenandCasensMommy

Do all these posts relate to the same thing? By that I mean you selected either early or late fixed dining, had a table number assigned then decided to show up only when the mood struck you?

Or do they all refer to any time dining where you show up as the mood strikes?

Edited by PoppyandNana

. I used to live in NYC where I had access to some of the top restaurants and chefs. The MDR is the equivalent to the Olive Garden.

It is a banquet. It is not "Fine Dining". There was another post where I tried to point out that Carnival is not going for fine dining, they are trying for a well run Chili's. Even the specialty restaurants are upscale, not fine dining.

With the expectations your posts exude - it sounds to me like CCL is not the cruise line that will make you happy in the long run. Your "high expectations" just aren't going to be fulfilled on a low rung commercial cruise line like Carnival.

You get what you pay for :rolleyes:

With the expectations your posts exude - it sounds to me like CCL is not the cruise line that will make you happy in the long run. Your "high expectations" just aren't going to be fulfilled on a low rung commercial cruise line like Carnival.

Actually their expectations are spot on. They aren't expecting high end fine dining on Carnival. They are acknowledging it's banquet style dining and aren't complaining about it. They know that is what they are getting. It's others that are expecting something else just because it's a main dining room instead of the buffet. Think you are misunderstanding their posts.

No, no, not at all. We are very happy with Carnival. My comment is more in regards to people talking about issues like changes in the Carnival dress code, or children in the dining rooms, the quality of the food, the waiters performances, etc. and equating these things to being unacceptable in a fine dining restaurant. I am pointing out exactly what you are saying. Going to the main dining room (or a specialty restaurant) with the expectation that they are Fine Dining is unrealistic. I have no complaints with Carnival, my comment is directed at the expectations that some of the other posters seem to have.

I eat at Chili's every week, and love Chili's, but the are not "Fine Dining".

Actually their expectations are spot on. They aren't expecting high end fine dining on Carnival. They are acknowledging it's banquet style dining and aren't complaining about it. They know that is what they are getting. It's others that are expecting something else just because it's a main dining room instead of the buffet. Think you are misunderstanding their posts.

Yes. This. Sorry should have read before posting my other reply.

What Carnival says and what Carnival does are very often 2 different things.

For example - On our last cruise with CCL - tablemates came to "elegant evening" in sweat suits.

And you're making this blanket statement based on your vast Carnival Cruising history?

We are seriously considering forgoing the dining room on our upcoming trip. We just want to relax & possibly not dress up at all. I'm not sure yet if we will. I don't know what other food options there are on the Triumph. It doesn't look like they have a buffet style dining area anywhere.

Whilst I have not been on the Triumph I have several occasions missed out the dining room completely ... particularly on the Sunshine... we instead had pizza one night, went to the buffet on two other nights ... got room service one night

No, no, not at all. We are very happy with Carnival. My comment is more in regards to people talking about issues like changes in the Carnival dress code, or children in the dining rooms, the quality of the food, the waiters performances, etc. and equating these things to being unacceptable in a fine dining restaurant. I am pointing out exactly what you are saying. Going to the main dining room (or a specialty restaurant) with the expectation that they are Fine Dining is unrealistic. I have no complaints with Carnival, my comment is directed at the expectations that some of the other posters seem to have.

I eat at Chili's every week, and love Chili's, but the are not "Fine Dining".

Spot on....great post....I have compared the MDR to a banquet hall at a wedding (both setting and food). The specialty restaurants like the Steakhouse typically has a nicer setting, but the food (steaks) is like something you get from an Outback or Longhorns....if your expectations are of a high end steakhouse, you will be disappointed

Edited by First and Ten

Jeans are often worn on Elegant night on Carnival and you know it. Most rules on Carnival are "guidelines".

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

LOL, guideline???? Carnival in their FAQ's states that jeans are not permitted during Elegant night....It is stated on their website. Where does a reasonable person say to themselves "oh, I will wear jeans" unless you are trying to be a contrarian or lazy....Spring for a pair of dockers on Elegant night

Edited by First and Ten

On our last several cruises we dined at the Steak House but have not made it to the dining room.

I don't think we missed anything. My thinking is when I'm full, I'm done eating and in the dining room it usually happened after the appetizers and there is still 3 more courses coming.

I'm more of a grazer and like to eat every couple of hours, so all the other options are wonderful. Never have gone hungry.

Enjoy your cruise no matter what your dining choice is.

Edited by scottydog123

I

Spot on....great post....I have compared the MDR to a banquet hall at a wedding (both setting and food). The specialty restaurants like the Steakhouse typically has a nicer setting, but the food (steaks) is like something you get from an Outback or Longhorns....if your expectations are of a high end steakhouse, you will be disappointed

I think that because of life circumstances and location, some people don't have access to real "fine dining" and may not be able to tell the difference with the MDR.

I

I think that because of life circumstances and location, some people don't have access to real "fine dining" and may not be able to tell the difference with the MDR.

Totally agree....MDR is "good" food. Most weddings I have been to have "good" food. Its not fine dining, but its good and you get the whole experience of being served, etc

The Steakhouse is GOOD food. I like Longhorns and Outback. Its good. Would I compare that to a Lugars or Berns, of course not, not in the same universe. To your point if all you ever experienced has been Outback or Longhorns, you will really like it

Edited by First and Ten

Maybe CCL is not the cruise line for you if the food was so totally unacceptable. You sound like you fit better at NCL ... just sayin'

Thanks for your comment. I'm not loyal to any one cruise line. I regularly cruise Carnival, NCL, and Royal. There's things I like and dislike about each line. All I'm saying is I wish Carnival had a better buffet selection/more options. My most recent cruise was the magic in August, and it was the worst buffet I have ever experienced on a Carnival ship...this was my 20th Carnival cruise so I feel I have a good background to judge their buffets.

We are seriously considering forgoing the dining room on our upcoming trip. We just want to relax & possibly not dress up at all. I'm not sure yet if we will. I don't know what other food options there are on the Triumph. It doesn't look like they have a buffet style dining area anywhere.

I have never skipped the MDR on a Carnival ship, ever. On NCL, all the time.

Yes, the Triumph has a buffet as does every other ship.

The Steakhouse is GOOD food. I like Longhorns and Outback. Its good. Would I compare that to a Lugars or Berns, of course not, not in the same universe. To your point if all you ever experienced has been Outback or Longhorns, you will really like it

If you mean Peter Luger's then here's a pro-tip. They don't take credit cards. They keep it old school from what I remember. Cash or check.

If you mean Peter Luger's then here's a pro-tip. They don't take credit cards. They keep it old school from what I remember. Cash or check.

my bad on the typo, I have been there....they take cash or their own credit card. no checks or regular credit cards....I would say its the best steak I ever had

Edited by First and Ten

my bad on the typo, I have been there....they take cash or their own credit card. no checks or regular credit cards....I would say its the best steak I ever had

https://peterluger.com/

"Peter Luger Steakhouse does not accept any credit cards at either Brooklyn or Great Neck locations.

Accepted forms of payment are the Peter Luger Card, US checks with ID, and US debit cards. "

So, I guess we were both mistaken. They do take checks and US Debit cards.

Now, what about Peter Lorre's Steakhouse? Joel Cairo? ;)

https://peterluger.com/

"Peter Luger Steakhouse does not accept any credit cards at either Brooklyn or Great Neck locations.

Accepted forms of payment are the Peter Luger Card, US checks with ID, and US debit cards. "

So, I guess we were both mistaken. They do take checks and US Debit cards.

Now, what about Peter Lorre's Steakhouse? Joel Cairo? ;)

Havent been to either one of those....been to Lugers, Smith & Woll, Berns (Tampa), Gene & Georgetti's (Chicago)....those are about the top 4 I have been to

The next level down is Ruth Chris, Del Frisco, Capital Grille....been to those in a few cities

Edited by First and Ten

Havent been to either one of those....been to Lugers, Smith & Woll, Berns (Tampa), Gene & Georgetti's (Chicago)....those are about the top 4 I have been to

The next level down is Ruth Chris, Del Frisco, Capital Grille....been to those in a few cities

Have you tried eating at Sizzler?

Edited by drerickson77

My advice would be to sign up for 'mytime' dining and the check out the buffet first to see if you are happy with the choices. That's what I will do if I ever take another Carnival Cruise. On another cruise line we always eat at the buffet, but the choices were limited on Carnival and honestly the buffet food at dinner was just not up to par. We decided to check out the dining room and there was a huge improvement! It's a pretty casual atmosphere (I don't like to dress up) as I'm sure others have probably mentioned. I'm not sure what the Triumph has, but we loved Guy's Burgers and the Iguana place for tacos and burritos. They close at 6pm so you have to eat early if you want them for dinner. Pizza is 24/7 and we enjoyed that too! Whatever you decided, have fun!

They have an incredible wine selection....the food was really good. The ambiance is boarderline gawdy, but that's the look I think they are going for

I don't drink wine......the food was fair (in my opinion), the tour of the kitchen was nice......the table location was crappy and it seemed to be 2 inches from someone else's table the way people kept bumping into us as they walked by. No where near worth the money spent.....to me. I'd much rather do Cody's Original Roadhouse Grill in the Tampa area.

Have you tried eating at Sizzler?

When I was a kid, going to the Sizzler was a big treat, as was Big Boys.

Still remember the first time I went to Smith and Wollensky in New York. You know the guy that started it was one of the principal founders of TGI Fridays. I did not think the one in Las Vegas was as good, but it could just be I'm older and have more judge it on. Still an awesome meal. Regarding Lugers, you know your good when you can get away with not taking credit cards.

Edited by Domino D