Disembarkation at Athens

fantasy51

Two weeks ago we left the Equinox at Athens. We had purchased a transfer to the airport through Celebrity UK. It all went well, but I thought it was a rather layered procedure and thought that interested people might find a more direct way to get the same service.

- We purchased through Celebrity (who must have taken a commission).

- They passed the booking to Holiday Taxis (who no doubt took their own commission).

- Holiday Taxis have someone working in the offices of Andy's Tours, and they are the ones who actually arrange the taxis (and deserve a commission).

- Andy's Tours arrange for taxis to meet us and have representatives at the port. The taxi driver gets his fare.

For your comparison, the price paid to Celebrity was £24 per person from the airport to the ship but £27 per person from the ship to the airport. In both cases there were just 2 of us in the taxi.

It worked well. Unfortunately the day we were there it was raining slightly and the drivers of Athens do not know what to do in wet weather. Our 10am taxi arrived at 10.30. Luckily I had built extra time into our schedule. The only disappointing thing was that Andy's Tours was not in contact with the drivers so could not reassure us that our driver was on the way back from his previous fare. Evidently the drivers were given names at the start of the day and we had to wait for our own driver to arrive.

Opposite us was a very long line of people waiting for unbooked taxis. It was down to half the length after an hour (though more may have joined - I didn't look for that).

We were on the same sailing. We disembarked at around quarter to 10 without any pre-arranged transfer. There was a short line for unbooked cabs, but I think we waited for just about 5 minutes, so it was breeze. There were many cabs available and the wait was more due to people getting into the cabs than actually waiting for cabs to arrive.

The fare from the port to the airport is a flat 54 € (per car, not per person), from what I read when researching for the trip, also if you pre-book a transfer. We opted to be let out at a bus stop in central Pireaus (a 10 € cab fare) and then took the X96 bus to the airport (only 3 pp, or 6 for full fare). We are students, so we have to budget, and this worked very well for us