Sep / Oct good time to book 2017 Spring cruise ?

mnsweeps

So I have been on a few Carnival and Disney cruises ...This would be our first time on NCL. Since we live in L.A and my parents are old (80/70) , I am thinking of doing a Mexican Riviera cruise out of L.A on NCL. We have done the same 7 day cruise on Carnival many years back but want to try NCL now.

With the Norwegian's Free At Sea offers, I am thinking of booking a Outside room for April first week.

At the same time, I read a recent post on how the prices went down drastically after the booked. With some NCL experts here, what pricing trends have you seen on NCL lately? Do prices go down as the sailing date approaches? We won't be buying any insurance so cancelling due to price decrease is out of question.

Anytime before final payment is due is always a good time to book a cruise. Before final payment, if prices go down or promotions get better, you can always cancel and rebook. So you really can't go wrong. After final payment, you are pretty much locked into what you have already purchased, although you might call then and get a bit of OBC or a slight room upgrade, if one is available. And prices as the cruise approaches are not at all predictable. They generally go up until a short time before the cruise. Then if the cruise is not selling well, there might be some fire sale prices offered. But to do wait, you need the flexibility in your schedule and you may miss what is available now...room selection and promo offers. Just no way to tell. If you are happy with what you see now, then book it.

Edited by roger001

Anytime before final payment is due is always a good time to book a cruise. Before final payment, if prices go down or promotions get better, you can always cancel and rebook. So you really can't go wrong. After final payment, you are pretty much locked into what you have already purchased, although you might call then and get a bit of OBC or a slight room upgrade, if one is available. And prices as the cruise approaches are not at all predictable. They generally go up until a short time before the cruise. Then if the cruise is not selling well, there might be some fire sale prices offered. But to do wait, you need the flexibility in your schedule and you may miss what is available now...room selection and promo offers. Just no way to tell. If you are happy with what you see now, then book it.

Thanks for info. If I cancel before the final payment, won't I lose a few $$ as cancellation fees?

Thanks for info. If I cancel before the final payment, won't I lose a few $$ as cancellation fees?

Not if you are in the US and don't use a travel agent that charges a cancellation fee. Under current US booking rules, as long as you cancel before you hit the cancellation period (which I believe starts on the day final

payment is due), NCL does not charge a fee and you can get your deposit back. When I've done the cancel/rebook, the old deposit was credited to the new booking, but this may not always be the case.

Some travel agents have a separate cancellation fee, so if using a TA, you need to understand their policies.

I know you are in the US, but for non-US readers, booking rules outside the US often do not allow for cancel/ rebook without penalty.

Hope this helps and that you have a great trip with your parents!

Also, not to be rude, but if your parents are older, and you're not going to purchase any insurance, be aware that if you cancel after final payment, you will incur penalties that you will not be able to recoup.

My mom is also 80 and I never travel with her without insurance. Not only the potential loss of the cruise fare, but if something should happen to her (and I guess to me as well), I want to be able to get her proper medical care and bring her back to the US promptly.

To each his own, but if you're not purchasing insurance, then be sure you can handle the financial loss if you cancel before sailing, or if something should happen on the cruise.

If any of you have medical insurance that covers you out of the country, that's terrific.

sorry I might be reading this wrong.
You're not reading it wrong, but you have to read the part that isn't there… :p They carelessly left out the two lines in the table confirming that the cancellation fee is $0 if you cancel more than 75 days out (for cruises of 1-6 days), or more than 90 days out (for cruises of 7 days or more).

I've given up on hoping that they'll ever fix this.