Photo Question

Noelle2375

Hello! For our upcoming January cruise, one of our included extras is • Photo - Fifty standard photos per cabin. Does anyone know what a standard photo is? Sorry, this is only our 2nd Norwegian cruise so I am new to the extras. :)

Thanks in advance.

Can't help you with your question but do have a helpful hint when it comes to getting your photos. If you are on a ship that still prints them out (have heard some ships now display them on monitors) collect your photos every or every other day and ask the photo desk to hold them. At the end of the cruise all your photos are in one place so you can go through and decide which ones you want to keep. It beats trying to look through 6 to 7 days worth of ship wide photos to find the ones that you are in.

Can't help you with your question but do have a helpful hint when it comes to getting your photos. If you are on a ship that still prints them out (have heard some ships now display them on monitors) collect your photos every or every other day and ask the photo desk to hold them. At the end of the cruise all your photos are in one place so you can go through and decide which ones you want to keep. It beats trying to look through 6 to 7 days worth of ship wide photos to find the ones that you are in.

It has been our experience that all of the photos are in a book with specific pocket spot for viewing I kniow that was the way it was on the breakaway and the dawn and the photo spot or pocket was on our card. If you are on the away class ships (dont know about any of the others) They do have monitors also that you can view them on . My advice is to NOT go the last night to get the pics - even on the last day it was better than the night! They DO continue to get pictures up until disembarkation but we wanted to be done and all packed - We got our package the day before disembarkation ao we were ready to just enjoy the last night and not fight with the crowds! The standard photos depend on which it is.. the resturant one were 5x7 - Photos that are around the ship at various locations were 8x10 - We were on the Breakaway and the kids did the ropes course there is a camera on the plank and those were also 8x10 - We also got a usb stick that had ALL of the chosen photos on it, that was $20.00 and is an add on to the package (cant purchase seperately) Those can be brought to Wal Mart or what ever photo place you want and yo can get reprints of any size you want . The stick does come with the reprint release so its all legal

can someone explain why you dont own pictures taken of you?
Because you are not the creator of the photo.

You have rights, because it is a photo of you: Usually (depending on the jurisdiction) there are laws saying that the photographer cannot invade your privacy to take a photo of you, and that they cannot use your image for commercial purposes without your consent.

But the photo itself belongs to the photographer who created it.

Thank you everyone! We will be on the Escape. Our 1st with NCL was the Getaway and they had the books with pictures. I was just not sure what was considered a Standard Picture. Seems like getting 50 Standard photos as an incentive is a lot so I was doubtful that they are 5x7 or 8x10 photos. I guess we will find out. :)

Hi Noelle,

We went on our first cruise ever in Aug to the Baltics on the Star. We had this promo as well. A voucher was in our stateroom when we boarded. On the last day, we picked out a mix of 8x10s and 5x7s and showed the voucher. They crosschecked against a printed list, asked us to sign the receipt and then packaged up the prints for us. The receipt showed a void of over $1000 (their inflated list price). Was a pleasant treat to have some non selfie memories, for something we usually wouldn't pay extra for :)

Enjoy your trip

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hello! For our upcoming January cruise, one of our included extras is • Photo - Fifty standard photos per cabin. Does anyone know what a standard photo is? Sorry, this is only our 2nd Norwegian cruise so I am new to the extras. :)

Thanks in advance.

I had this package on the Gem in June. It was great. It covers all photos except for those taken in the photo studio. All the photos that are taken by the roaming photographers, whether it's getting off at a port, at the restaurants, or when they set up around the ship at night are included and you can ask them to take as many as you want. For an extra $20 you can also buy the USB drive shaped like a ship that will have a digital copy of all 50 photos on it that you select.

Edited by Fido Chuckwagon

Also, if you buy the USB drive of the photos you purchase, it includes a release letter that you can give to photo labs when printing your pictures. Many photo labs will require it if they notice your pictures were taken by a professional photographer. (The graphic frame overlay they put on some pictures is a dead giveaway as are the photos with costumed people)

-Keith

Because you are not the creator of the photo.

You have rights, because it is a photo of you: Usually (depending on the jurisdiction) there are laws saying that the photographer cannot invade your privacy to take a photo of you, and that they cannot use your image for commercial purposes without your consent.

But the photo itself belongs to the photographer who created it.

very interesting , thanks for the info. so i can just snap away all over the public areas of the ship and no one can say a thing even if they dont want them in the pic. i feel very awkward about it but this is my 1st cruise ever and while i'm not a selfie freak like others, i do intend on well documenting my trip.

ive watched some videos of the ship on youtube and and was amazed how one was with virtually no one on board. must have been port day :)

so i can just snap away all over the public areas of the ship and no one can say a thing even if they dont want them in the pic. i feel very awkward about it but this is my 1st cruise ever and while i'm not a selfie freak like others, i do intend on well documenting my trip.
A couple of points here. It may be legal for your to snap photos of people in public areas of the ship (as I said, it depends on the jurisdiction), but that doesn't mean they can't say anything to you. If they don't want to be in your photos, they have the right to tell you that, and they are not legally obligated to be friendly about it, either.

Second, these are the rules about photography in the Guest Contract:

16. Use of Guest Likeness: The Guest consents to Carrier's use and display of the Guest's likeness in any video, photograph or other depiction for any purpose, commercial or otherwise, without compensation or liability of any kind. The Guest's consent extends to minors and other persons in the care and charge of the Guest. Guest further agrees that any type of photograph or recording, in any audio or video format, of the Guest, other guests, crewmembers, independent contractors, concessionaires, guest entertainers or any other third party onboard any of Carrier’s vessels or depicting said vessels, their design, equipment or any other feature or part of said vessels, shall not be used by Guest for any commercial purpose, or other financial gain, personal or otherwise, including but not limited to in any media format or broadcast, or for any other use without the express written consent of Carrier. Carrier is permitted to take any and all reasonable measures to protect Carrier and enforce this provision.