If You Need a FLL Hotel AFTER 12/1/05

Southbound

We were booked at the FLL/Airport/Hollywood LaQuinta for a pre-cruise night for 12/18. Called them direct for info, was automatically switched to LQ's hdqtrs in San Antonio and advised that this hotel had suffered severe damage and would not be honoring any reservs. until at least the end of the year.

Asked about the LQ in Plantation (approx. 7 mi from the port/airport and was informed that they were presently w/o power, had slight damage to one side of a bldg, but could take reservs starting with Dec. 1st. Discount rates (AAA, AARP, Sr Cit) for one adult was $80, two adults $85 + tax for two double beds, so I booked it and rec'd an email confirmation. Direct # to Plantation LQ is (954)476-6047; toll free reserv. system # is (866)725-1661; or laquinta.com.

Since we'll be driving into FLL, I didn't think to inquire about shuttle service to the port, but since the other LQs provide it I would imagine the Plantation facility does also.

Actually the Plantation hotels usually do not have airport or port shuttles. They're 20 minutes or longer from the airport, a lot longer during rush hours. That's a suburban area, not the usual area for pre-cruise stays.

Trent, Thanks for the heads up re shuttle service. As I said, we won't need it since we're driving in from the west coast of FL, so I didn't think to inquire. I did find that email inquiries to laquinta.com brought prompt replies from its hdqtrs.

As an aside, we were very much looking forward to having dinner at the Rustic Inn and decided it might be a good idea to call them direct to ascertain their "Wilma" situation. Spoke with a delightful gal (Rose) who informed me that they had sustained a lot of damage, but have made a tremendous effort and will be reopening for business this Friday.

So as of now, anyway, we've got a roof over our heads and good vittles to look forward to.:)

Archived